Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 WRX Limited. I get it in a week or so. I have read about the 1,000 mile break in period and not revving past 4k, no cruise control, no hard braking and such. Does everyone follow this or is it just a suggestion? I read that you should run 91 Octane fuel but it also says you can run 89. Is this true? Any other advice for a new owner? Thanks.

Steve

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Don't run low octane fuel in a turbo engine. Run the highest available to you that isn't racing fuel.

Yes, you should follow it, but there are people who get very personal about it and ignore it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
Does everyone follow this or is it just a suggestion?

Steve
Sorry but what's the difference?

Let's say for the sake of argument that absolutely no one on this forum follows the owner's manual.

Follow the owner's manual.

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Some people follow the manufacturer's instructions for break in, some do not. Premium fuel only, generally 91-93 octane e10.

The only other suggestions I have on top of the manufacturer's instructions are to do a fair amount of engine braking during break in, and change the oil (and filter) at the 1000 mile mark.

· Registered
863 Posts
I believe the general consensus is that in a pinch you can run the lower octane fuel if you are low and that's th only gas the gas station in East Podunkville has on tap . . . but it's really not good for the car as the engine is designed to run on premium fuel.

And yes . . . I followed the manufacturer's recommendations for break-in . . . figured there probably is a reason they wrote it as they did . . . and if there is ever an issue I wanted to be able to say I followed everything to the letter in terms of maintenance.

· Registered
17 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new jeep (yeah ik not a performance vehicle but still...) a few weeks ago, and I told him not to beat the piss out of the engine (he drives like an idiot) because of the break-in to avoid costly repairs down the road. The break-in is just to let the piston rings set in place, and break any metal shavings loose. It's generally a good idea to get the oil changed after you've finished the break-in because of all the metal shavings that are likely floating around in the engine.

· Registered
467 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new jeep (yeah ik not a performance vehicle but still...) a few weeks ago, and I told him not to beat the piss out of the engine (he drives like an idiot) because of the break-in to avoid costly repairs down the road. The break-in is just to let the piston rings set in place, and break any metal shavings loose. It's generally a good idea to get the oil changed after you've finished the break-in because of all the metal shavings that are likely floating around in the engine.
Those salesmen are fools, but not surprised from Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.