ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into a Subaru, I have a truck that I daily so this isn't necessarily planning on becoming a daily. I have two options as of right now, I can get a new WRX with plans of doing FBO E85 tune and maybe some suspension mods.

or

2014 sti with 56k and the following mods:turbo back 3" straight pipe exhaust, invidia catless downpipe, cobb sf intake, accessport v3, grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid, go fast bits bov, grimspeed v band uppipe with tial 38mm external wastegate with dump tube, and a pro tune

the sti is owned by a friend of mine and hasn't had any major issues.

just looking for some advice, thanks guys!

·
Æternum
19,592 Posts
Seems like an obvious choice.

The WRX is NEW and unmodified.

The STI is used and poorly modified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I don't know enough about stis but that's hilarious if that's the case about how he modified his car

·
Æternum
19,592 Posts
Haha I don't know enough about stis but that's hilarious if that's the case about how he modified his car
Any car that's modified with a BOV on a stock turbo is modified purely for peacocking.

·
BooSTIng
2,675 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't touch that STi with zax's.... well... wallet. No need for me to add more insult to your buddy's unorthodox and uneducated modifications. But take this as a lesson. DO NOT put a bov on your new wrx, it doesn't need it, and DO NOT mod blindly without research, and ALWAYS be properly tuned for the modifications you have. (yes an intake requires a custom tune)

Happy shopping and be sure to post pics when you get your new wrx!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My good friend has a 2018 with ETS intake, Cobb accessport and tune. What a night a day difference from stock, I can only imagine how it'll drive with more mods/e85.

·
BooSTIng
2,675 Posts
Yup going from stock to just a new map can make a word of difference. The fa20DIT in the new wrxs responds really well to breather mods (intake, egr/tgv deletes, etc). combine that with a turbo back exhaust and a good tune from a reputable tuner really wakes these cars up and makes them a blast to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I was considering possibly a Type R but I'm leaning more towards the wrx I think

·
Æternum
19,592 Posts
I can only imagine how it'll drive with more mods/e85.
It will drive just like any other car, just with less reliability and no warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm actually now considering a 19+ sti. I've been a fan of STis since I was 15 and just one of those cars I want to own once in my life now that I have the means. Also feel like picking up the EJ before they come out with the new 2021 sti is smart. I feel the EJ will always be loved and sought after.

·
BooSTIng
2,675 Posts
I love my STi, I was like you, always wanted one. After 3 wrx's I was finally in a financial spot in my life where I could afford one. I bought one and never looked back. I don't regret buying my STi one bit. Even after it spun a rod bearing and I dumped an astronomical amount of money into it to make it what it is today.

But, I always wanted a fully built, rotated turbo, big hp STi. Finally got it. The EJ's aren't as bad as they are cracked up to be. They are a dinosaur, and have their problems. But they are easy to work on, and have an endless aftermarket supply and supporting.

I think the new engine going into the STi (rumored to be a FA24) will be better. But I will never buy the first year of any car with a new engine. It always seems that they have problems. Takes a few years to get it right if you know what I mean. You won't regret getting a new STi. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, And if anything after a few years if the new STis are that much better I'll trade in.

·
BooSTIng
2,675 Posts
Well I hope you get that STi! Like I mentioned before, be sure to keep us updated on your decision, and post pics of the new car when you decide on it and get it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I definitely will.... plan to basically keep it stock with a r400 exhaust... down the line maybe stage 2 but definitely want to keep the warranty Incase of any engine issues.... in the meantime I'd do suspension/exterior upgrades

·
BooSTIng
2,675 Posts
Good plans. Just remember, the moment you go "stage 2" it will mess with your warranty because the car will need to be tuned for the downpipe.

R400 is an awesome exhaust. I love Invidia. I have had their Q300 on 3 different subarus now. They released that exhaust a few years ago, shortly after purchasing the q300 for my STi. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea originally I didn't care about warranty but after researching and seeing a good amount of potential engine issues with the EJ, it's probably best to keep the warranty ... I'm sure the car is still a lot of fun stock and one day I can mod it if I keep it over the new general sti

·
something else forever
3,871 Posts
Go for the STI then for sure! Keep it stock as long as you can and take advantage of the warranty. Trust me, the warranty pays off. These cars, even stock, have issues left and right (see my off-topic thread) so it's best to play it safe. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts