Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently bought a new 2017 WRX premium and I have a question about the short throw shifter.

I noticed that the transmission has the bumpy and rough shifts especially going into 1st gear from neutral and from 1st to 2nd. Sometimes in the other gears but less. I just passed my break-in period hoping that it just needed sometime to resolve itself but it has not. I hope you guys can let me know if this is normal or not.

I made a video comparing when it seems rough where you can hear the lever going through multiple clicks into gear, vs when it shifts smoothly into gear with a single solid click.

Do I have a defective transmission or is this normal? :confused:

·
Registered
338 Posts
mine is notchy in most gears. I dont think its abnormal.
How difficult is it to install the bushings and stop. I have the STI short throw in my Limited as well

·
Registered
129 Posts
eh, i think it's normal, people usually get a shift stop and brass shifter bushing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31tpNYhg5QL._SX300_.jpg[img]

[img]http://perrinperformance.com/images/M101861376[mg]

i picked up those but need to install them, just waiting for my first oil change.[/QUOTE]

+1

I bought both within a couple months of owning the car, and they helped clean up the shifter feel immensely. The shifter stop is an easier install than the bushing, but the bushing is easy itself as well. Hardest part to is removing the cover plate to reach the bushing.

One thing I have noticed, which I don't know the cause of, if the shifter seems to vibrate oddly in fourth gear when i'm resting my hand on it. apply enough pressure, or let go completely, and the shifter sits still. But once I put a minor amount of weight against it in 4th gear, it starts to vibrate. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
338 Posts
+1

I
One thing I have noticed, which I don't know the cause of, if the shifter seems to vibrate oddly in fourth gear when i'm resting my hand on it. apply enough pressure, or let go completely, and the shifter sits still. But once I put a minor amount of weight against it in 4th gear, it starts to vibrate. Has anyone else noticed this?

17 limited, mine is exactly the same. None of the other gears act like that, only 4th

·
Premium Member
2016 WRX Premium
128 Posts
Mine did the same thing, shift stop helps a lot, I got the bushing too but honestly didn't notice much difference with the brass vs stock rubber bushing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
one thing currently annoying me is I get seemingly locked out of 2nd gear more than any other car I've driven. On upshifts and downshifts. When it happens I go into neutral, clutch out-clutch in and now it lets me into 2nd.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's just 2nd for me. Sometimes 4th with give a little resistance but it never will just completely lock me out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine did the same thing, shift stop helps a lot, I got the bushing too but honestly didn't notice much difference with the brass vs stock rubber bushing.
I thought the shift stop only helps with the extra horizontal play in the gate? How does the shift stop smooth out the shift?

·
Registered
64 Posts
it can all be adjusted at the shop . mine had to be re adjusted after trans mount , and re adjusted after a few other add ons . i was getting locked out going in and out of 5th . now its perfect .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kartboy cable shift lock - Subaru
1 32 32.00
03/15/2017
TiC 2015 WRX shifter bearing
1 15 15.00
03/15/2017
Turn in Concepts Tranny Crossmember Bushings
1 35 35.00

and do a transmission mount too .
you will actually enjoy shifting your wrx . feels totally different from stock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on my WRX:

About a month or so ago I took my car in to the dealer to have my transmission checked out and they took it for a test drive but said that everything was running fine.

Today, I had it looked at by a technician, I requested them to check the transmission fluid because the problem wasn't going away and I thought the grinds getting worse. At this point I've driven almost 1300 miles.

They called me back and told me that there was only a 1/2 pint of fluid in the transmission when they checked it today. They topped off the transmission fluid and said the transmission is good and the rough bumpy/frictiony/crunchy shifts should go away after I break it by driving it some more.

So it looks like I've been driving with only a 1/2 pint of transmission fluid for almost 1300 miles. Should I be concerned about my transmission's condition at this point???

Has damage been done from driving nearly 1300 miles with only 1/2 pint of transmission fluid?:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update on my WRX:

About a month or so ago I took my car in to the dealer to have my transmission checked out and they took it for a test drive but said that everything was running fine.

Today, I had it looked at by a technician, I requested them to check the transmission fluid because the problem wasn't going away and I thought the grinds getting worse. At this point I've driven almost 1300 miles.

They called me back and told me that there was only a 1/2 pint of fluid in the transmission when they checked it today. They topped off the transmission fluid and said the transmission is good and the rough bumpy/frictiony/crunchy shifts should go away after I break it by driving it some more.

So it looks like I've been driving with only a 1/2 pint of transmission fluid for almost 1300 miles. Should I be concerned about my transmission's condition at this point???

Has damage been done from driving nearly 1300 miles with only 1/2 pint of transmission fluid?:confused:
The level may not have been high enough to pickup much or any oil
Its all documented with the dealer so if something happens they will replace it.
Just enjoy and when warranty is about up make sure to bring it in to get checked on (unless it acts up of course, take it in right away)

·
Banned
289 Posts
If I'm perceiving this as the technician was at the dealer, just get a copy of the invoice showing the fluid was low, but it'll also be saved with dealer records for the car.

if this was an external shop that found out, take the invoice to the dealer and have them document this is what a shop found

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your advice guys.

So I asked for clarification when I picked up my car. I was told that it was a pint low (or maybe they meant it was a quart?) I just hope that they aren't hiding the fact that it may have been lower, but there's no way to tell at this point.

But the result of them topping off the fluid has made the shifts feel a lot better than before.

I will have to find some tutorial on checking transmission fluids and oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1

I bought both within a couple months of owning the car, and they helped clean up the shifter feel immensely. The shifter stop is an easier install than the bushing, but the bushing is easy itself as well. Hardest part to is removing the cover plate to reach the bushing.

I have a same feeling! Exactly same. 4th gear vibrates at very light pressure from my hand. And especially when you push the gas or applies engine brakes, you can feel the click. I think this is normal as you have a same feeling with my 2017 wrx limited.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts