Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Finally got my white WRX yesterday. The dealer don't have the 5spd and said the wait would be 8-10 weeks so I end up buying an Auto. Well, having the Supra Turbo and Eclipse Turbo before, I say the WRX performance is pretty good. I started my mod with the with HKS turbo timer and Greddy profec B. I also install the HKS CAMP system that was previously on my Eclipse. I took out the six disc CD changer and put in a monitor for the CAMP system. Personally, I like HKS better than Greddy, but I hate the fuzzy logic crap on EVC IV and the EVC EZ does not have the high and low option like the Profec B. Next up would probably be the 46mm boost, EGT, and Fuel Pressure gauge and the Gauge pack holder made by Subaru. The New HKS AFR is also on my list as soon as I find a good A/F Gauge. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BlazinWRX, I see that you are located in Irvine, not far from me, do you know any shop here that carry Cusco product for our WRX?? I am searching for the Cusco Zero-2 Coil-over kit. Also, I just find out that our turbo is a mitsu turbo, what kind of turbo is it?? On the old stock Eclipse, it was a TD05-14B. Just wondering which kind of turbo it is, anyone know?? Thanks!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i heard that also about teh mitsu turbos on the wrx. I was wondering if it was the older model mitsu with the larger turbo rather than the later turbo models i hope its the earlier model because they call the later model the too small turbo any info would be thankful
thanks
chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
The turbo is the td04l, but not to sure on the compressor wheel. Have been looking into it, but no luck yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have not started using the Profec B yet since I don't have the Boost gauge hook up. Waiting for the gauge pack holder from subarupart.com. The CAMP system basically monitors everything and give you Dyno graph of the test runs. Pretty good for tunning your car. As for the turbo, It does not say the size of the turbo anywhere, so I was just wondering if anyone. Since I have a TD05-14B and TD05-16G from my old Eclipse, and want to see if that would be an upgrade, since IHI turbo are really expensive. If it is a TD04, it is probably a 13B which is bigger than the 2G Eclipse but smaller than the 1G Eclipse. Anyone know where to get Cusco part and the difference between Zero-1 and Zero-2??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what guys, I'm goign to see what I can do in terms of products from Cusco and get back to you guys. If you guys don't know you can get the HKS EVC through www.importhookup.com for only $320 ($600 retail).

I'm going to start some reginal forums as soon as I get a chance so maybe we can all meet up sometimes? How does that sound? I'm giong autocrossing on saturday and hopefully I'll have something to tell you guys on sunday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sound good BlazinWRX. I really want to get some of the cusco stuff and a meeting sounds good too.

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: turbosub ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, how much did you pay for the CAMP? What kind of monitor did you use? From what I can tell the CAMP is a box and you have to have a separate monitor in order to view what is is doing. I really like all of its display capabilities. Does a double DIN video screen fit in the space where the radio goes?

Thanks

Steve Carter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa that looks NICE! I'm thinking about getting a monitor but if I do my friends are going ot be busy watching movies and then I'll feel like i'm just a driver :) Is that your car Rob? and can you post this on the electronics forum?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey that looks really nice!! Mine only has the monitor hook up and I don't have the CD player yet. I might consider doing the same as rob. I bought mine CAMP for $400 and I believe it retail for $500. It is a good device to actually look at how your car is doing. The Fish function is really cool. Maybe during a meet, I can show you guys. My monitor is made by Clarion and works pretty well. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was thinking about getting the pop up screen that comes as the GPS option on the japanese STI. Anyone know if this is possible? If we can somehow just get that screen and not the GPS that'll be soooo awesome! Check it out. The pic is all the way at the bottom.
http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/sti/spec_eq/eq_f.htm

translated:
IMPREZA built-in * navigation system *
You adopt the electromotive pop rise type monitor. High accuracy it loads the D-GPS, even FM standard of the VICS is corresponding multiplex. The private 100W, the MD player audio is combined just. (Excluding the WRX STi type RA manufacturer installing option)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This goes WAY to the top, but i was just wondering why you got the WRX in auto., if i were you i would definitely drop a manual transmission in or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, how did you do the install? What monitor is that, whhere did you get it, and how much??? Give us details- don't just show us a badass pic and leave us hangin!! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm yeah an antomatic transmission does sound like a waste on a car like this but it's the owners choice, and if you ever decide to swap the transmission go for the 6 speed gearbox made for the STi's, that would be cool and worth the $ becuase they cost around 2-3 grand and if you really really wanted a stick then leave your car stock and save up for the STi (if they're comming) or just do a trade in or sell it to soemone and get a new WRX.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, I got a automatic because I need to go to work at 7:00am in the morning in Downtown LA. The traffic is like hell going to work and going back home from work. My Eclipse was a manual and I have an aftermarket clutch installed on it. My feet was killing me and I was dead exhausted when I get back from work. So, I decide I was going to get a automatic no matter what and it just happen the WRX is available in auto and has turbo. Yeah, auto may not be as fast as the manual in many races but I am sure with enough mods, the auto can be just as fast as the manual.

Update: Read from the Option magazine from Japan, the WRX in Japan uses IHI F55 turbo which is equalivent to the Apexi AX53B70. Direct bolt-on WRX and capable of 350HP. Anyone have any suggestions about that??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Julio, you are probably right. The auto transmission does have problem when you increase the horsepower. However, there is always solutions. I remember that Supra Auto can change to a stronger torque converter and able to hold 400HP. I have no idea how good the auto tranny on the WRX is but I will still try to make my car faster. If it does break, maybe some shop can build me a stronger torque converter. I am definitly stay with auto. It feels good that you don't have to shift 500 times going to work in traffic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Turbosub: In most cases like Supra, 300ZX, etc auto cars with turbo doesn't have a "good" transmission to hold the same amount of power as a manual. Yes, of course you will be able to add more power to your WRX, but depending on the tranny, I don't think it will handle as much power as a manual WRX. I don't know any specs of the auto tranny on the WRX, so I may be wrong with this car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts