ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new wrx is making a loud chirping noise while at idle and while cruising in gear. Ive read it could be a lubrication issue with the clutch fork pivot, others say it could be the TOB. Anyone experience this issue? Its a brand new car with only 200 miles. Dealers say its a "normal" sound. Clearly its not.

·
Registered
241 Posts
can you post a video with the sound? did it just start making the chirp or has it done that since you got the car? is it just as loud when you are idle as when you are driving?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
Turn off the interior fan that controls the air flow to the cabin. Turn off the A/C. Turn off the defroster. Does it still make noise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working on getting a video up, but yeah I would say its louder at idle than while cruising. Except it can be loud in first gear as well. When you press the clutch even the smallest bit it goes away. Once the clutch is out it starts again. It started the day after I got the car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I concur with throw out bearing. My old car did the same. Then clutch felt weird when depressed. May as well replace the whole clutch while UR there

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
Working on getting a video up, but yeah I would say its louder at idle than while cruising. Except it can be loud in first gear as well. When you press the clutch even the smallest bit it goes away. Once the clutch is out it starts again. It started the day after I got the car.
Throw out bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is not the throw out bearing. I had the clutch, and throwout bearing replaced 3 times by Subaru under warranty. This did not fix the problem, and after about 10 more trips they gave up. I took matters into my own hands, and ended up fixing the problem by removing the intercooler, pulling back the rubber boot on the transmission, and greasing uptake clutch fork with high temp wheel bearing grease. Do that, it will solve your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been dealing with this issue on my 2016 WRX. It started within 3 months of ownership and has been getting progressively worse for the last year. It sounds much like a bad belt that goes away with any touch of the clutch pedal.

I reported this many times over to the dealership (in Bassett, VA which I won't be going back to for customer service reasons, not technical reasons) and over the last 3 months they've had it 7 weeks (2+5). Initially they dismissed my report that it's when NOT touching the clutch pedal. Had to be the TOB because there was a TSB on that. They said they replaced it. Didn't resolve the problem (evidently same noise just my scenario is clutch pedal out, not in). When asked about the release fork and proper greasing, the pilot bearings, etc "oh everything was fine and nothing was dry." In communications with SoA they stated they are not aware of this problem yet you can look at various Subaru (and other manufacturer) message boards and for the most part, the simple fix is lithium grease on the release fork pivot ball. If this is not a permanent fix then usually the answer has been that the release fork is bent.

I'm currently beginning a working relationship with a dealer/service department in Chapel Hill, NC. Already initial customer service is a world of difference better. I will provided an update if/when my noise issue is resolved. Good luck to the rest of you all!

***Follow-Up***
7/23/18

Well, it's been a few months as my schedule was jam packed and the dealership I began working with, Hendrick (fka: Performance) moved. What I dubbed my angry crickets on crack (unhappy belt-type noise) was not remedied by the initial replacement of the TOB. Took it again and they not only replaced the TOB this time, but the entire clutch assembly. While it's only been a few days, no more noise. Also, the clutch itself is much more fluid of sorts than it has ever been. It was definitely harmonic vibrations somewhere in there and/or serious lack of proper lubrication? They reported there was nothing (wear, etc) pointing to anything directly. However, so far so good...on that. I have developed a creaking in the clutch pedal itself and while that's annoying as well (next thing to address - TSB for that too though hopefully just needs some magical lithium grease) it's nowhere near as horrible as the 24/7 angry crickets on crack.

I am also extremely happy with my switch away from the Nelson family of dealerships in SW VA to Hendrick in Durham, NC.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just had a similar issue start. Well, I think it just started. I usually let my car warm till rpm drops but pulling out to shovel a few months ago I noticed a chirp when I pushed in the clutch. I called the dealer & was told to see if it only happens in cold weather but now it happens till the car is at normal driving temp. Any time I push in the clutch before the car is completely warm it chirps (like a belt sound). Thinking of taking it to the dealer or possibly paying my mechanic to check it out before I go to the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Culprit Found

This is not the throw out bearing as I suspected myself, however it has to do with the TOB. The noise is being produced feom the clutch release fork vibrating against the ball joint and when the slave sylinder pushes on the fork it makes it stiff and stops the vibration causing the noise to go away when the clutch is engaged. Had my dealer replace the TOB again along with the fork and ensured it was properly greased! See my video for detail on noise culprit
https://youtu.be/SQCkL5Auzh0

·
Water.....sometimes waves
2,175 Posts
It is not the throw out bearing. I had the clutch, and throwout bearing replaced 3 times by Subaru under warranty. This did not fix the problem, and after about 10 more trips they gave up. I took matters into my own hands, and ended up fixing the problem by removing the intercooler, pulling back the rubber boot on the transmission, and greasing uptake clutch fork with high temp wheel bearing grease. Do that, it will solve your problem.
This is not the throw out bearing as I suspected myself, however it has to do with the TOB. The noise is being produced feom the clutch release fork vibrating against the ball joint and when the slave sylinder pushes on the fork it makes it stiff and stops the vibration causing the noise to go away when the clutch is engaged. Had my dealer replace the TOB again along with the fork and ensured it was properly greased! See my video for detail on noise culprit
https://youtu.be/SQCkL5Auzh0
Long live the wrenches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's what I figured - not the TOB, and gently suggested this to the dealerships (warranty work), based off tons of online searching. However, per my 1st post, after dealing with an incompetent service dept and going to one that still seems much better the TOB was replaced (still angry crickets on crack) then the TOB and clutch assy were replaced (no more noise). Parked the car for the week then headed up the road to flag an event at Summit Point the following weekend.

About 1/3 of the way there I had transmission/shifting blips - wouldn't shift in to gear...while driving it on the highway. Pulled over for a few min, it worked again. Halfway to my destination it did this again but no go after 10-15 minutes so made a call to the dealership and AAA (totally forgot about Subaru Roadside). It was towed to a nearby dealership where they couldn't replicate the issue. They were in contact with the other dealership and car was supposed to be transported back to dealership that replaced the clutch assy. Ffwd a few weeks: it's finally (supposedly?) going to be towed. They've also gotten 2 more cars, a WRX and an STi presenting the same issue - being locked out of gear while actively driving it. <insert eye roll here>

Subaru is paying for my rental so that's cool, but even if the problem is figured out and fixed, I'm really not sure I want the car anymore. My 2004 is the reliable car now and that's not a statement that should be made.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's the slave cylinder rubbing against the top of the fork. The clutch pedal has to be adjusted for it to stop, they'll say to use white lithium grease, dont bother.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the same exact thing that mine just started doing at 26K after 3500-mile road trip. Hopefully it's not the throw out bearing like everyone has been saying.

·
Registered
2017 WRX
19 Posts
What year car? If I’m not mistaken we had a tsb for throwout bearing prematurely failing which is covered. I can double check

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been having this issue too! I had my entire clutch assembly replaced and the noise came back after a few days. Then had the shifter fork and pivot ball replaced and the noise still came back after 1-2 days.
What is going on??? Here’s a video

1 - 20 of 23 Posts