ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing opposite information about when to change oil first time around. My salesman told me to change my oil for time around is 3K. That's what my manual say it also. Is there a benefit changing at 1k versus 3K?

I also been reading here, a lot of people are changing their oil after reaching 1,000 miles. Is that because you finish your break in period. And do you recommend the service be done by subaru dealer or by another shop that specialized in Subaru repair/maintenance?

Lastly, is it ok to take the car for a mountain drive (up in Tahoe) which will result spending a lot at higher rpm which aren't good during break-ins? I just want to do the right thing....

By the way, I live Sacramento so I don't drive a lot on dirt road, mainly tarmac road. So the environment I live aren't severe condition but normal.

I asked all these dumb questions because this is my first ever Subaru Turbo AWD drive (my old car RSX type s and TC scion). so I new to this whole network of subaru tuners. :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not as knowledgable as most of the enthusiasts on this site, but I went through the break in period a month or so ago. I believe people like to change the oil after the first 1k miles because while the car/motor is breaking in little metal pieces get in the oil. (i read this on a thread about breaking in the car, could be completely rite, could be completely wrong, not sure.) Next, I couldn't see why a Subaru tuner would be BETTER then a dealership that works on Subaru's all day, although the shop may be more knowledgable, many people will argue that Subaru built the car, therefor know the most in depth about it. Last, I don't know if that ride for the unbroken-in car is the best idea. i was told by the dealer to keep the car under 3.5k RPM's for first 1k miles, i'm sure someone who knows alot more then me can give u more information.

Enjoy the car!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
from what i know you dont have to change the oil at 1k you can wait till 3k or 3.5k for the first one. the dealer told me to come in at 3.5k to have mine changed and thats what i did. after that im changing my oil every 3k miles

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been hearing opposite information about when to change oil first time around. My salesman told me to change my oil for time around is 3K. That's what my manual say it also. Is there a benefit changing at 1k versus 3K?

My manual clearly says that the first and every oil change should be done every 7,500. I'm not sure how would yours say something different? I will however do my first oil change at 3k.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe people like to change the oil after the first 1k miles because while the car/motor is breaking in little metal pieces get in the oil. (i read this on a thread about breaking in the car, could be completely rite, could be completely wrong, not sure.)
I guess I have a understanding if Subaru were concern about metal pieces get in the oil during the break in period, they would say that in their manual change it after 1,000 miles instead of stating to change oil at 3K.

And I supposed it would be cheaper to take it to specialized tuner than Subaru dealership where it cost an arm in the leg to do basic maintenance. That's the only reason I can come up with.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will do my first oil change at 3K and then every 7500 miles thereafter per recommended.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
00TypeR1071 said:
My manual clearly says that the first and every oil change should be done every 7,500. I'm not sure how would yours say something different? I will however do my first oil change at 3k.
While "RTFM" is a great idea, they have since changed the service interval to a shorter duration.

Mr2012WRX said:
And do you recommend the service be done by subaru dealer or by another shop that specialized in Subaru repair/maintenance?
Honestly? DIY.

An oil change is one of the simplest mechanical tasks you can do (other than changing a panel air filter or swapping a set of wheels/tires). I find comfort in knowing that it's being done properly.

Mr2012WRX said:
Lastly, is it ok to take the car for a mountain drive (up in Tahoe) which will result spending a lot at higher rpm which aren't good during break-ins? I just want to do the right thing....
Yes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I guess I have a understanding if Subaru were concern about metal pieces get in the oil during the break in period, they would say that in their manual change it after 1,000 miles instead of stating to change oil at 3K.

And I supposed it would be cheaper to take it to specialized tuner than Subaru dealership where it cost an arm in the leg to do basic maintenance. That's the only reason I can come up with.....
I stated i could be correct or incorrect, just saw it on another post. Manual cant steer u wrong.

I believe Subaru did it free for me, not sure if that was due to the warrantee or purchase of the new car.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I stated i could be correct or incorrect, just saw it on another post. Manual cant steer u wrong.

I believe Subaru did it free for me, not sure if that was due to the warrantee or purchase of the new car.
Yeah Subaru did my first oil change as well at 3500 miles

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Is that just for the first? is it because of warrantee? I'm expecting to go back at 16k miles because they said come back in 7,500.
Yes it was only the first oil change because they offered to do it for free. I believe they do it for everyone the first time. After that I've done it every 3k miles myself. I'm not gonna pay a lot to have someone do it for me

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took mine in for the first oil change to the dealership. It was free and they did an all around inspection, topped all the fluids off, and washed the car as it was getting filthy during winter..

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I took mine in for the first oil change to the dealership. It was free and they did an all around inspection, topped all the fluids off, and washed the car as it was getting filthy during winter..
I think they inspect, top of fluids and wash the car everytime its in

·
Registered
205 Posts
The service manager told me that they all came with the package because I just asked to get the oil changed instead.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I didn't do anything with the packages for car maintainance

·
Registered
966 Posts
what do i need to perform an oil change myself in my driveway? I'm new to the whole car scene and would like to do the oil change myself. I know i probably need jacks, a container to drain the oil into, and maybe some tools?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
what do i need to perform an oil change myself in my driveway? I'm new to the whole car scene and would like to do the oil change myself. I know i probably need jacks, a container to drain the oil into, and maybe some tools?
In order to change the oil you need a jack,if possible get a low profile Jack they are much easier. Make you you have Jack stands to set the car on for safety reasons. After that you will need I think a size 12mm socket and a screw driver to pull off the bolts and tabs off the plastic piece under the engine. You will also need a 17mm socket or wrench to get the oil plug out. And maybe an oil filter wrench to get the filter off and of course a container to catch the oil in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts