ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago i purchased a black 2011 WRX for myself, and being that i am very active during the winter, and live in a place that receives 75+ inches of snow every year I am obviously looking into new tires. For the sake of keeping things easy however I am looking into buying new wheels with my tires so i can just change back to my summer tires as the seasons permit.

I dont have too much money to spend after the tires, but i am a little concerned with what the new wheels will look like because i dont want to compromise the impressive appearance of my car.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas as to what brands/ colors are affordable and also ascetically pleasing?

Please help me out

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,508 Posts
Find someone that doesn't like the stock wheels, and buy them for a song. Appearance will remain constant.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Rota seems like a pretty popular brand around here and they're relatively cheap, good looking rims.

Tire rack doesn't seem to have any 2011 rims on it yet though...I'm sort of waiting on that to find out what offsets will look right with the new widebody.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tirerack DOES have support for the 2011 as of a few days ago.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
I checked yesterday and they have added the 2011s, and played around with it for a while,fantasizing till I get my car.There are about a 100 options.Man ,those gold rims are expensive.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I should've known...as soon as I give up hope they'd post the 2011 info.

I hereby rescind my previous statement and promise that I will not post hasty replies ever again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not too long ago i purchased a black 2011 WRX for myself, and being that i am very active during the winter, and live in a place that receives 75+ inches of snow every year I am obviously looking into new tires. For the sake of keeping things easy however I am looking into buying new wheels with my tires so i can just change back to my summer tires as the seasons permit.

I dont have too much money to spend after the tires, but i am a little concerned with what the new wheels will look like because i dont want to compromise the impressive appearance of my car.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas as to what brands/ colors are affordable and also ascetically pleasing?

Please help me out

I faced a similar situation. I looked for used wheels that I liked and that would fit my 2010 WRX for snow tires, but had no luck. I opted to go ahead and put the new snow tires on the stock wheels and spend the winter looking/waiting for the right deal on new wheels to come along. That way I got my snow tires in place before the first snowstorm (which came last week with 50 mph winds and 6" of wet crappy snow) and I am not feeling rushed to get the "right" rims.

·
Registered
18 Posts
snow tires & pressure sensors

I just picked up my 2011 wrx 5 door last week. I spent some time on tire rack and almost purchased. The question is do you need the pressure sensors? Are the pressure sensors that tire rack has compatible with the 2011?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I faced a similar situation. I looked for used wheels that I liked and that would fit my 2010 WRX for snow tires, but had no luck. I opted to go ahead and put the new snow tires on the stock wheels and spend the winter looking/waiting for the right deal on new wheels to come along. That way I got my snow tires in place before the first snowstorm (which came last week with 50 mph winds and 6" of wet crappy snow) and I am not feeling rushed to get the "right" rims.
I did the same thing. Found a place that'll transfer my tires to the stock rims for $70. Now I have to save my pennies so I can get some sweet Enkei rims.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The question is do you need the pressure sensors? Are the pressure sensors that tire rack has compatible with the 2011 car? Do you need to purchase the sensors from subaru?

·
Registered
777 Posts
The question is do you need the pressure sensors? Are the pressure sensors that tire rack has compatible with the 2011 car? Do you need to purchase the sensors from subaru?
That's a good question. Since I only bought tires, I'm going to use the existing sensors already on the OEM rims. Quote from Tire Rack:
Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

A TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.

Your system includes:

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$128.00 for a quantity of 4

Optional Silver Metal Valve
$16.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $144.00

Additional Information

If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.

Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.
And this:
The QUICKSET is not compatible with the 2011 model. New tire sensors must be initialized at the vehicle's dealership. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.
I'm sure you could email their customer service with your question, and they would provide you an answer lickety-split. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts