Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new TMIC from Vishnu Performance Systems .

Remeber all that Intercooler testing Vishnu did and reported in this thread a while back? This is what they've come up with!

From the Vishnu Performance Systems website:
We've applied everything we've learned during the last year of intercooler testing to create what we believe to be the ultimate performing stock-mount intercooler. One that offers the ideal combination of cooling efficiency, pressure drop, resistance to heat soak and the ability to cool quickly with minimal airflow through its core.

Preliminary dynamometer testing reveals healthy power gains with greatly improved knock resistance. These gains appear to be ever more pronounced on the road were heat soak effects and repeated heat dumps are more likely to occur. Other benefits include reduced pressure drop which yields lower peak exhaust back-pressure and, in turn, higher peak horsepower and greater safety margin against detonation. Carefully calculated core dimensions and end tank design yield minimal degradation in boost response and spool up characteristics.
The first thing to impress me about this TMIC was the packaging. Surrounded by cardboard, double bubble wrap, and about a metric ton of packaging material, it looked like you could drop the shipping box from a 2nd story window and not damage the IC. Obvious effort went into packaging to ensure a damage free delivery.

The second thing to impress me was the perfect quality of the welds and the core itself. Wouldn't expect anything less from Vishnu!

Fitment was perfect also - no bending AC lines, fighting with hoses, etc.

The Vishnu TMIC is furnished with the STi underhood diverter, which takes advantage of the larger surface area and delivers more cooling air to the intercooler.

The Vishnu TMIC is larger than the stock IC in every aspect. It's 18.5" wide, 7" tall, and 4.5" thick! The end tanks are also designed (IMHO) for superior flow.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Sweet, Austin! As if you needed to be much faster than us locals anyway! hehehe

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Austin,
Thank you very much for the detailed pics. It helps all of us, especially the n00bs. And the comparison pics help a lot to show how much bigger the Vishnu IC is than the stock piece. I just wish my engine compartment looked as good as yours.

Here's the info from Vishnu's sight.

Vishnu UItimate Intercooler..........$TBA
It's easy to grab some intercooler core, slap on some end tanks and call it a "high efficiency" intercooler. After all, it's not hard to improve upon the stock intercooler’s flow-limited tube-and-fin design . However, making the best intercooler possible requires careful flow testing, thermal transfer analysis, computer-designed end-tanks, and so on. It took us some time to make it, but it's close to being finally available. Ultra-low pressure drop combined with extraordinarily high cooling efficiency. Resistant to heat soak and very quick to cool! Available November 2002.

I guess they don't have a price on it yet.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Holy smokes! Awesome! What type of sensor bung is that by the intercooler outlet? Is that IAT?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is2scooby said:
Holy smokes! Awesome! What type of sensor bung is that by the intercooler outlet? Is that IAT?

That is an air temperature sensor used the in TEC3 system.

I had to drill and tap a hole to put it there... your new Vishnu TMIC will come without a hole! ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it? Or can you at least tell us how it compares to other TMICs in the market?(ie. TurboXS, MRT, M2 etc..) Thanx.

·
2,210 Posts
Not to hijack your thread Austin, but have you done any comparisons with the TXS TMIC? From the photographs you posted, this looks looks significant smaller than the TXS if my memory serves me (if often does not). Not that size is everything, of course. :p

The construction looks very nice. An observation I had is that it looks like an aftermarket bypass valve would foul on the manifold, as the valve interface appears to be positioned slightly lower than the stock location. The TXS unit has a similar problem in that aftermarket bypass valves will foul on the hood.

-Pace

[Edit] Just went and checked, and the TXS unit sizes in at 19.125" x 7.375" x 4.5"

·
Registered
151 Posts
pace said:
The TXS unit has a similar problem in that aftermarket bypass valves will foul on the hood.
That is no longer the case in the new TXS unit with its computer designed CNC billet end tanks. There is also no longer an interference problem with the AC lines. We saved 3lbs without changing the core size. This will greatly reduce heat soak issues and improve intercooler flow.

pace said:

[Edit] Just went and checked, and the TXS unit sizes in at 19.125" x 7.375" x 4.5"
For reference, those are core sizes.

Here are a few pictures of the new unit. I'll get some better pictures up soon, but even in these pictures, you can see the angle of the BOV flange has been changed.

-Nathan

·
2,210 Posts
Nathan, thanks for the BOV situation clarification. You may want to update your product page to reflect this fact.

I'm leaning back toward a top-mount myself. Both units are beautifully constructed, but the lack of pricing info on the Vishnu unit coupled with the extra volume of the TXS intercooler would steer me toward the latter.

I hope this does not seem like a thread hijack. Since this is the 'Engine Performance' forum and not the vendor appreciation society, I think that the comparison between these two is relevant from a price/performance perspective.

I don't suppose Vishnu's testing included the Hyperflow unit? That would be very informative. :)

-Pace

·
Registered
151 Posts
pace said:
Nathan, thanks for the BOV situation clarification. You may want to update your product page to reflect this fact.

-Pace

We'll be updating our page this week. As far as I know these go on sale Monday.

For what it's worth, we are keeping the price the same even though we've made some serious improvements to the TMIC.

I don't want to hijack this thread; I just wanted to correct some information that was posted here. If anyone has any questions about the new TMI let me know...

Also we have the first batch of FMIs hitting very soon. I think there are 2 in the shop now, but as far as I know they are spoken for already...

-Nathan

·
Registered
11 Posts
pace said:

I don't suppose Vishnu's testing included the Hyperflow unit? That would be very informative. :)
The "Australian-made IC" I flow tested last year (in http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142272&highlight=intercooler+testing) was a Hyperflow IC. While I believe the core design is the same as it is today, I'm sure dimensions and end tank designed have changed since then.

What we've learned during our cooling efficiency testing is how important it is to have a top mount IC properly ducted/sealed with NO portion of the core "sticking out" of the rubber surround. Effective cooling efficiencies (hood closed, running at 60mph) would drop by as much as 10-12% depending upon how much of the core wasn't ducted. To improve real-world cooling, we actually shrunk down the IC size throughout the course of the developement in order to make it seal perfectly with the STi duct/seal. Properly ducted, we could then increase the density of the external air turbulators to improve cooling while still maintaining a good ambient airflow rate through the core (thanks to the duct). And without any portion of the core going unducted, we didn't introduce any interheater effects, which occur when aluminum sits under the hod without ambient airflow hitting its surface.

This is one of those products that cant be tested on the dyno very accurate since you are mainly testing its thermal mass. In that case, more is always better. But on the road, with the hood closed, your also testing aiflow rate through the core which affects every aspect of IC performance apart from pressure drop (which is easily tested on the flowbench).

Just my 2c,
shiv

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can attest to the awesome fitment between the STi rubber ducting skirt and the core - It couldn't get any more precise!

And (bonus) the STi underscoop duct comes with a scoop splitter! A bit of trimming was required on my car, as I still have the stock hood scoop - just needed to trim a wee bit off the corners of the underscoop.

·
2,210 Posts
Shiv - thanks for taking the time to respond to the points I raised. In fact, I'd like to say that I appreciate that both TXS and Vishnu are willing to indulge us and contribute to a thread like this. :)

-Pace

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Agreed re: vendor input. We are lucky in the Subaru community to have such active aftermarket support.

Kudos!

P.S. Both top mounts look awesome. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.