Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to be able to upgrade the ecu and the rest of the fuel system for a good while but i would like to get an new turbo in the mean time. If i stay with the stock fuel and ecu for now what would you suggest as the best turbo? I am thinking vf23 or vf29 maby? Also what kind of boost levels would be safe to run with these turbo's when running the stock ecu and fuel systems?

thanks
chris

·
Registered
563 Posts
There's really no point getting a bigger turbo without upgrading the fuel system. You can max the stock fuel system out with the stock TD04 turbo anyway. Just save your money until you can do turbo/injectors/fuel pump all the once.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i understand that it isnt an ideal situation but i will half to buy things one at a time and i have seen several cases where WRX's with the same general mods i have now will run a 12.9 - 13 with a vf23 bolted on. basically my wife and i are moving and will be building a house. i have about 600 to spend and after that it will be over a year before ill be able to do much. used vf23's pop up all the time for about 550 or so. it just seems like the most bang for the buck right now. im just wondering what kinda boost levels i would have to run to be safe and what kinda awhp i could maby expect. I am thinking it will be somewhere around 230 to 240awhp?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would a vf24 be a better turbo on stock fuel and ecu then the vf23? I guess that would be a matter or opinion but how how would those 2 turbo's compare?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hot_Dog said:
There's really no point getting a bigger turbo without upgrading the fuel system. You can max the stock fuel system out with the stock TD04 turbo anyway. Just save your money until you can do turbo/injectors/fuel pump all the once.
I totally disagree. You can run pretty much any of the IHI VF series turbos on stock fuel to various degrees. Just keep in mind that more lag comes with the bigger turbo and until you add more fueling, you won't see the full benefit of the larger turbo. You will need a boost controller of some kind and you won't be able to run more boost until you can add more fuel.

I ran my VF30 on stock fuel, stock IC, stock ECU for a very long time @ 15psi daily. Without launching the car, I ran [email protected]

I highly recommend the VF23, 35, 34, or 30 if you don't plan to add fuel in the immediate future.

-Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how did the car feel compared to using the stock turbo platinum? how noticable was the gain from going to the vf30? it seems as though the vf24 is the smallest of the vf turbo's would this be a better option then even the vf23?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a VF22 with stock fuel and stock ecu. Like you, i don't have the money or the patience to wait and buy everything at the same time. Its been about 1000 miles since i bolted it on and have had no problems. Platinum is right, you won't see the full benefits until you upgrade your fue and ecu. I am not running an aftermarket boost controller since my boost is spiking to 16 anyway. If yours doesn't spike all the time and you don't plan on upgrading your ecu anytime soon, then get a boost controller and go no more than 16psi. As for the turbo, if your going to get a VF23, you might as well get a VF22. The 23 spools only slightly faster than the VF22 but from what i heard, it doesn't have the top end power of the VF22, plus you can get a used vf22 for cheaper. If you want low to mid range power and don't care about top end, then i would go VF30 or 34. Used a vf30 is about 400-500 and 34 is 500-600. Hope this helps a little

adam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input that defintly helps! i guess what i am thinking is that since i will not be able to crank the boost up enough to really get the performance on the top end i might as well go for a quick spooling responsive turbo. that is why i was also thiking about the vf24.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
bigchris said:
how did the car feel compared to using the stock turbo platinum? how noticable was the gain from going to the vf30? it seems as though the vf24 is the smallest of the vf turbo's would this be a better option then even the vf23?
Changing the turbo completely changes the character of the car. The boost comes on later, but much stronger. The car is an absolute beast on the highway with the 30 and a lightened flywheel.

I don't recommend the 24. I'd go with a 30, 34, or 23 if you are concerned about spool up.

-Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again. as i said before i am hoping to get some help on the top end. i get tired of the stock turbo's pitiful top end. i know i will have to sacrifice some sppol time for this but i would like to have as streetable a turbo as possible. so i think i when i decide to buy i will be looking for a used vf23. do you know what kinda awhp you were putting down when you had the vf30 platinum? i feel that with my current mods i am around the 210 - 220 range and i feel that the addition of a vf23 would give me an honest 20awhp. so i would think it would be around 230 - 240? am i at least in the ballpark with those estimates?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
bigchris said:
thanks again. as i said before i am hoping to get some help on the top end. i get tired of the stock turbo's pitiful top end. i know i will have to sacrifice some sppol time for this but i would like to have as streetable a turbo as possible. so i think i when i decide to buy i will be looking for a used vf23. do you know what kinda awhp you were putting down when you had the vf30 platinum? i feel that with my current mods i am around the 210 - 220 range and i feel that the addition of a vf23 would give me an honest 20awhp. so i would think it would be around 230 - 240? am i at least in the ballpark with those estimates?
Check out my profile: At >3300lb. race weight, I trapped over 101 consistently, hit 102 occassionally, and my best was 103.1mph. How ever much power it takes to do that! ;)

-Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
fastwrx135 said:
I have a VF22 with stock fuel and stock ecu. Like you, i don't have the money or the patience to wait and buy everything at the same time. Its been about 1000 miles since i bolted it on and have had no problems. Platinum is right, you won't see the full benefits until you upgrade your fue and ecu. I am not running an aftermarket boost controller since my boost is spiking to 16 anyway. If yours doesn't spike all the time and you don't plan on upgrading your ecu anytime soon, then get a boost controller and go no more than 16psi. As for the turbo, if your going to get a VF23, you might as well get a VF22. The 23 spools only slightly faster than the VF22 but from what i heard, it doesn't have the top end power of the VF22, plus you can get a used vf22 for cheaper. If you want low to mid range power and don't care about top end, then i would go VF30 or 34. Used a vf30 is about 400-500 and 34 is 500-600. Hope this helps a little

adam
hey hows the power with the vf22 with stock fuel and stock ecu? when does the turbo kick in?? what is your 1/4 times with your setup? sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
392 Posts
wrxrabbit,

First off, don't worry bout askin me questions, im more than happy to help my fellow wrxer's out.

I really didn't feel too much of a difference in power after i put on the vf22. The top end is definitely better but i know the turbo has more to offer. I am going to put sti injectors and walbro fuel pump very soon. This will make a huge difference. As for the 1/4 mile times, i haven't ran my car yet with the turbo on. I am going to in a week or two. I will post my times as soon as i get it. Keep in mind though, i have an automatic so my times won't be eye popping. I hope to hit low to mid 14's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts