ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looking for some info on upgrading my turbo. i've been saving up for a while and im ready for a new turbo. im thinking of getting the APS sr56 turbo for my 2002 wrx... its got about 57000 miles on it. parts wise ive got fmic, cold air intake, exhaust, BOV, E-MANGENT... any thoughts on the APS would be alot of help.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
First thing I suggest is you do a lot more research before buying a new turbo.

Second, what are your goals (HP?, Top end?, Minimal Lag?)?

However, with that all said the Sr56 is way too much turbo for a 2.0L in my opinion, particuallary an '02 which has the weakest transmission of all the WRXs.

"The SR56 is the choice for the performance enthusiast who wants the ultimate in engine power whilst maintaining stock turbocharger orientation. Ideally suited to a heavily modified Subaru engine of 2.2 - 2.5 L capacity. With flow capacity to produce 500 hp at 14.5 psi and 550 hp at 22 psi, this turbocharger is for the serious street/strip racer."

The above is from the APS website.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have done a ton of research on turbos for the 2.0L, as I will be doing a turbo upgrade in the future for my '05 WRX.

My conclusions are:

1) 300HP to the wheels is the magic number for the stock 2.0L tranny. Too much beyond that you are in danger grenading your tranny w/o modification. Your '02 has the weakest tranny of all 2.0L WRXs.

2) Ball Bearing Turbos are not worth the money. But, if your set on APS then I would look more to the SR30 or at most the SR40.

I would go with a 16G for minimal lag or an 18G for more top end from Forged Performance, Blouch, or Deadbolt.

Lastly, I think the Big Evo III 16G is the best all round turbo for a 2.0L WRX. It gives you almost the same HP (approx 300 vs 325) as an 18G with a little less lag and top end.

Sidenote: 57K on an '02 wow thats low mileage...I got 63K on my '05...damn I drive too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely go with the aps sr30 turbo. The sr56 as said below is for 500hp capacities which is a lot of power and psi for a 02 wrx with basic mods. The sr30 is the most conservative turbo that aps offers yet it's capacity is 340hp. For your engine to cope with the sr30 you would have to have a good flowing exhaust and downpipe. Also, you would have to get bigger injectors, fuel pump and possibly a better radiator. You'll definitely have to get a tune and a tougher clutch will probably be needed as well. You already have an e-manage and fmic which is good. So you should decide between the sr30 or sr40. Whatever you do upgrade the transmission accordingly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot guys... ive been looking for a while and after this im probably not going to get the sr56... but like some has said the big evo 16g seems like a really good choice considering im not racing and im just an everyday driver. but i have a exedy stage 3 clutch in my wrx also so im sure the tranny will be ok.
im still not 100% on which one to get so if you guys have anymore turbo suggestion i'd be happy to have them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
thanks alot guys... ive been looking for a while and after this im probably not going to get the sr56... but like some has said the big evo 16g seems like a really good choice considering im not racing and im just an everyday driver. but i have a exedy stage 3 clutch in my wrx also so im sure the tranny will be ok.
im still not 100% on which one to get so if you guys have anymore turbo suggestion i'd be happy to have them.
Search this forum and NASIOC as there have been a ton of threads on 16G turbos, particuallarly the EVO III.

Personally I would go with a coated and PnPed EVO III from Blouch, but if $ is a little tight get it from Forged Performance. I have seen Blouch's work and it is top notch, but I cannot comment on FP.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i asked the same questions myself when I was researching and the majority result was the Big Evo III 16G......just bought mine yesterday. Im amped to do the swap :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts