ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any knowledge/thoughts/opinions/experience with the new optional TomTom based head unit/audio/Nav system? (picture attached I think)

The only thin I dug up was this blog about (I am assuming) a press release...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies...-tomtom-portable-nav-system-as-an-option.html

I am in the market to get a WRX and would love to get a nice nav and from what the sales person told me this is the latest one Subaru is making available...

I like the idea of it being TomTom as they are generally well regarded and better at Nav/gps than a car or stereo manufacturer... But I am also curious about the general audio quality of this head unit. I've heard mixed (mostly unimpressed) reviews of the 'stock stereo system' but am not sure if those have been comments on the base base base model stereo or if even the upgraded premium stereos get lukewarm reviews.

If anyone has knowledge of this system it would also be nice to know how well it syncs up with an iPhone. I see it does bluetooth audio streaming (which I totally dig) but it'd be nice to know how well it plays with the phonebook, voice dialing, etc.

I do know its a little potentially fugly looking... so if anyone has actually seen it installed and can comment on what it looks like that would be great... If you want to tell me you think looks horrible you can tell me that too.. :)

Any and all thoughts, suggestion and opinions welcome..!

Thanks in advance....

Excited to joing the club...!!

Chris

P.s. If advice or thoughts require it -- I am getting a 2011 wrx limited edition with whatever is the best factory installed stereo/nav system. :)

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i've heard nothing but bad things about tomtom. do they give you a choice of changing out the brand to garmin? or is tomtom the only one available?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really..? I've generally heard good things about TomTom units. I have heard that Garmin are the best but I have played around with a stand alone TomTom unit in the past and actually thought it was a pretty friendly and easy to use.

If there were a zombie apocalypse I'd probably hope for a Garmin... But in terms of something easy to use that helps me see my next turn and where I am at I would much rather take my chance on the #2 best gps/nav maker in the world then see what a car manufacturer whips up in their laboratories...

That being said I haven't ever seen the previously (or maybe still?) "media hub" nav system that i believe i can also have delivered on my car.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on any of the 2011 navigation options...?

·
Registered
36 Posts
OEM nav units are garbage. how much are they charging you? you would be better off getting an aftermarket one. I'm getting a Kenwood unit installed soon, and it uses Garmin nav.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that most oem nave units aren't great... But those Subaru uses TomTom as the gps/nav which, while not as good as Garmin, seems likely to be way better of whatever oem nav interface you'd get from an average car stereog manufacturer..

I think the tomtom package is $1350 or something like that and includes sirius radio, live traffic updates, Bluetooth handsfree, bluetooth audio streaming, etc.

Which Kenwood head unit are you having installed..? To me the most important thing about an aftermarket solution would be to get something where everything works (sirius, gps Nav, Bluetooth calling, streaming, iPod integration, etc.) and it integrates with the car (armrest USB, etc) and it wouldn't cause issues with my warranty. Less important is the sound quality. Less important is how great the interface is.. And then least important of all would be the cost. So with that list I am definitely the sucker that was born to pay too much for a mediocre factory installed option... That being said i would LOVE to hear if there is a fret aftermarket solution that gives me everything I am looking for... Less interested if there is an a aftermarket solution that someone has only "heard" works with the serious receiver and wrx antennae, etc. etc.

Anyone know of an amazing aftermarket nav head unith that works 100% with the Wrx..?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im getting the DNX6960, by buddy has it in his Denali and he loves it. So, id figure i'd go with it, plus its alot cheaper than the Subaru option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts