ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 04 wrx, the car has some mods. I was reading online that some mods require the car to get tune to run properly. As far as I can tell the car has, CIA, HOV and exhaust (as I can tell). I don't know if the last owner re-tuned the car when this mods where done. My question is, should I buy Cobb Accesport or should I take it to get it tuned professionally, also can the stock CPU be tuned?

Thanks guys, any info will be very appreciated!

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
CAI, BOV and exhaust? I'm assuming that's what you meant for mods :)

1. You should definitely get the car tuned if you are unsure what the previous owner has done.

2. That choice has to be made by you. Both options have pros and cons. We can help you with those, but ultimately you will have to decide what is best for you.

3. Yes.

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Just so you are aware:
1.) Cobb AP maps state that they are written for the stock airbox, so no CAI is supported by the OTS tune. It would be a good idea to either get the car tuned professionally, or remove the CAI and replace with the stock airbox.
2.) A BOV cannot be tuned for. If it is fully atmospheric, it will release metered air and therefore will cause the car to run rich between shifts and throttle-offs. No tune can remedy this. A VTA BOV is intended to be run with blow-through MAF metering systems, speed density, or MAP air metering systems. The stock pull-through MAF system will be negatively impacted by a VTA BOV.

Also, what are your future plans? If you are planning to tune once and done, go for it. If you plan on doing a DP or more, I would suggest against paying $500 for a tune this early on.

EDIT: If you haven't done so already, replacing the uppipe should be on your short list of mods.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1019991&page=7

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'm completely new to the Subaru world. The car is my daily so I want it to last me, I don't want to do anything crazy to gain high HP.

The stock air-box is recommended instead?
Can the stock CPU be tuned? or do I need to chip it?

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Stock air box is better than CAI in most cases yes

The stock ECU is perfectly suited to being tuned. These cars do not get chipped.

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
The stock air-box is recommended instead?
At your mod level, yes. You can do the snorkus delete mod (google this) if you want sound.

Can the stock CPU be tuned? or do I need to chip it?
The stock ECU is reflashable as is the case with most OBDII compliant ECUs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts