ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey every i just got my first wrx i came out of the jeep world so i don't really know a lot yet about tunning.... i got a 07 wrx wagon the only thing i've done it so far is take the intake silencer off. i'm pretty sure i lost some power when i did. has anyone ever tested this on a dyno. thanks everyone hope to get to talk to you guys soon

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Welcome, you didnt loose anything. Even with an after market intake you only gain 1-3 hp. For real hp increases look at a turbo back exhaust and engine management. Read up on boost spike/creep, you'll have those issues with your car if you put a downpipe on it. You may also upgrade to a better panel filter, should also increase the pssh noise level if thats what you were looking for. OR you can get a cobb sf intake or SPT. Both pricey but they just make noise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i've been looking a lot into cobb i'm still in college for a couple more months plus payments so money is a little tight for now.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
You need to get a high-flow air filter (like K&N) to see the benefit of removing the air silencer. Even with that - you won't see much of a gain.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome. Good work getting an 07. Same here with the intake silencer. I got bored one night and took it out, reset the ECU, waited a couple hundred miles and still definately lost a little power. Put it back on and it was back to normal. Now i have an AP so i don't mess with intake at all due to the BIG CAPSLOCK WARNING ABOUT STOCK INTAKE.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
5,780 Posts
why is that... and what would be a good upgrade to go with that would cost right around the same ball park
Cobb acessport and high flow downpipe then you can flash stage 2

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
New intakes and blow-off-valves are religous debates (seemingly).. Some people love them, and others despise them. I personally still haven't sorted through the fact and fiction of the matter.

The TBE and ECU reflash putting you to stage II is a very commonly preferred mod though - most folks do it. However, I don't see how that can be in the same pricerange as an intake though.. The COBB AP is $645 alone, full stageII setup from COBB runs just under $1500.

·
5,780 Posts
New intakes and blow-off-valves are religous debates (seemingly).. Some people love them, and others despise them. I personally still haven't sorted through the fact and fiction of the matter.

The TBE and ECU reflash putting you to stage II is a very commonly preferred mod though - most folks do it. However, I don't see how that can be in the same pricerange as an intake though.. The COBB AP is $645 alone, full stageII setup from COBB runs just under $1500.
The fact is in most cases BOV = is a less than helpful mod and the intake is a fancy noisemaker

I did not tell him to order cobb stagII i told him to replace his downpipe and flash stage 2 one is much cheaper and you get the same result with less noise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i put the intake on is it going to cause problems the cobb ap is going to be next mod i just don't start my new job for a couple months so i'm just going to have to wait

·
5,780 Posts
if i put the intake on is it going to cause problems the cobb ap is going to be next mod i just don't start my new job for a couple months so i'm just going to have to wait
Cobb would rather you did not do the intake mod on your 07 to run the ots maps,

The WRX does not need mods to be fun to drive, have fun and save money for the right mods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys i have really been reading alot trying to find out how my car works maybe i'll order some red rally armor mud flaps haha... so how do you guys feel about electronic boost controls

·
5,780 Posts
thanks guys i have really been reading alot trying to find out how my car works maybe i'll order some red rally armor mud flaps haha... so how do you guys feel about electronic boost controls
engine management, no Electronic boost controls, no manual boost control, no BOV, these cars are sensitive to changes in the turbo systems, intake and exhaust, to do any real changes you need Engine management to allow the ECU to adjust for these mods

Mud flaps are a nice mod, my first cheap mod was a billet prodrive shift knob and satelite radio.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts