ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2010 WRX hatchback a while back. Been running good until maybe three weeks ago I was driving home from Toronto and got this wicked grinding sound.

took it to the shop near me and they said my turbo is gone? Like so bad that next time I start my car it could fuck up the engine bad....

Is this legit a thing that can happen? They said a bolt sheared and could make its way into my engine. So now I need a new turbo.

Also another point. If I get a new turbo I’d rather not have to get stock, if I can help it. My motto is replace broken parts with better parts. But I need to know what parts could handle an upgrade, and what would need to be changed.

Again, new to these and not the smartest “Car Guy” out there lol. Been a few years since I was wrenching in a garage

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Best parts are factory parts. Everything else is performance for less longevity.

Yes, turbos can fail. If they are not getting lubrication, or they spin too fast they can catastrophically detonate. I'd be less worried right this second about what to replace it with and more worried about what caused the failure. I'm not sure what bolt they are referring to unless they mean the shaft.

Just get clarification.

Anyway, once you are looking into turbo swaps you are looking into intake, exhaust, wastegates, intercoolers, fueling, boost controllers, probably getting close to building a block depending on how aggressive you go, and other things escaping me off the top of my head. All of these things add up to less durability and more expensive repairs in the future. It's fun while it lasts though.

What exactly is your idea of better?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Lots of helpful info in there.

Im not totally positive on what exactly went wrong with it. But I was hoping to get better performance from whatever I put in.
Though if that puts me up into like $10k in parts idk if that’s the route I’ll take just yet.
As for the question of “what do I mean by better”, my thought has always been replace something broken with something better. But from what you said, it seems like I wasn’t thinking on the life span of the car when thinking of the fun I could have lol.

So to end. I’m mostly just looking to have it running again. Right now though, I’m not working cause Covid and can’t even afford my insurance now :/
Just wanted an idea on a parts list and maybe general prices. As I said in my original post, I’m not the smartest guy with cars. So I really appreciate all the advice I get 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
On a straight cost effective basis replace what's failed. On a slightly less upfront cost effective basis find what caused the failure and address that too. That will save you the most money in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man. I’ll be getting on that soon. Not like I got time for much else right now.
If I don’t find the problem I’ll be back on here for more tips and advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts