Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, hello from Ottawa Canada...I've had my 2017 WRX for a year now. Found this forum to join to ask/share stuff on. So basically new to being a Subie, specifically WRX driver. My wallet/wife wouldn't allow me to go for an STI...LOL. I did want to ask about putting in a BOV or cold air intake. I'd done the cold air intake thing when I was younger to an older Civic so there was no issue with warranty. But with my WRX being bought new last year, would either of those installs 'void' my warranty?

Cheers

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nothing wrong with a WRX . . . I went with one myself since it offers decent performance at a good price.

I'm no expert . . . far from it . . . but I'm reasonably sure folks here will tell you a BOV is not a good idea.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
you have to allow time for people to answer. Nothing voids warranty. However, if you put an aftermarket intake on and something happens to your car which can be traced to that new intake as the likely cause, dealer and Subaru will not fix it for you for free under your warranty.

I'd at least wait until the warranty was up..............and then I 'd wait a few more years until the urge for noisemakers goes away :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'd at least wait until the warranty was up..............and then I 'd wait a few more years until the urge for noisemakers goes away :)
This is damned good advice.

That said, if you are interesting in giving your car a little sound, I would recommend either Nameless muffler axle back options. You can install them within about an hour, which means... that you can uninstall them within about an hour. The genius is that you can easily put the mufflers or muffler deletes back on with ease. When you get tired of the noise - put your normal exhaust back on. When you want more noise - put the tips back on. They also hold their value pretty well if you want to get rid of them.

I had the deletes on my 2013 WRX, but I wouldn't recommend them on your car since they can be pretty raspy. Either way. I think I purchased them for about $300 and sold them for $175. I had two years of great sound for about $125. This is the only aftermarket option I'm considering for my 2018 STI and I plan on swapping them out on a pretty regular basis.

As for the BOV, there's no benefit. I know it was harmful for the EJ motor, but I'm not sure if that holds true for the FA motor (your motor). As for the intake, it does sound great, but it MUST BE TUNED. That means having a cobb accessport if you're looking for the easiest option. That can get pretty costly and you're looking to spend around $800 for the combo, if I remember correctly. You're also somewhat significantly changing the way your motor performs. What that means is that if your motor pops you're going to lose some sleep waiting for Subaru to tell you if they're going to cover your warranty work or not. My guess would be in addition to losing sleep, you're going to lose money and have to front the rebuild or replacement.

My first 'mod' with my 13WRX, my 15STI, and my 18STI has been to pay them off... If you're looking to make your car 'unique,' I suggest going that route first. If you're going to do anything else, I suggest mud flaps. I was skeptical about the way they looked at first, but they're excellent for paint protection.

The choice is yours. Good luck. Oh... and welcome to the forums. There's more solid reliability advice here, vs. "Look at my stance," threads.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
To install an intake you need a tune and a tune will likely cause any warranty claim against the engine to be denied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Benefit & detriment of a CAI without a tune. Benefit the sound you will hear those turbo spooling awesome hp increase nil and minus 500.00 $ in your pocket.
Detriment even with a Perrin CAI is you run the risk of running the engine too lean and without a COBB accessport you would never know or be able to monitor the damp if the engine is running to lean.
Yes I have install catch can on PCV & CCV side Mishimoto install time 2.5 hrs.
For me at this time no to CAI until warranty is done and I will get one with a tune.
Good Luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
The reason Mishimoto/Perrin/ETS require "no tune" is because the size of the intake is very similar to stock. So the MAF calibration wouldn't be totally off. To get optimal use out of intake, you would want a tune.

How many miles on car? Are you comfortable working on the car yourself? Do you have 7-10k around for any unexpected car failures?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts