ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '15 wrx limited @60k miles and I'm looking to at some power via bolt on etc.. but no tune due to all the tune nightmares I've heard of with daily drivers.

Any tips? I'm in nyc!

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Anything that bolts on that isn't cosmetic needs tuned. Intakes, turbo back exhausts, egr and tgv deletes, headers, intercoolers, and many I'm sure I'm forgetting.

You can put a cat back on it and make more noise and a better tone, you may be able to get away with certain intercoolers but you'll have to speak to a tuner to verify.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you kind sir, I’m truly trying to figure out this tune thing because I’ve heard terrible things about the cobbs and then I’ve heard they’re good. Also heard open source was the way to go.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Open source on the fa20f is kinda weak. The Mastermind behind most of it now works for Cobb.

There isn't really any nightmare to tuning. Using Cobb's solution they have map notes available for their tunes that tell you exactly what to use. For instance a stage 1+ requires the Cobb big sf intake specifically. The stage 2 requires any 3" catted downpipe.

They are generally tuned conservatively and pretty safe, however anything that is modified to make more power runs the risk of higher chance for failure. Engine replacements are not cheap. I've seen posts everywhere from 6-10k for a stock shortblock replacement and build engines going on past 30k

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
My 2011 had a downpipe, turbo inlet, tgv and air pump delete and had the tuning handled via the Cobb accessport through turn in concepts in Cincinnati.

Your car will typically see more bang for the buck on the intake side of things. Supposedly guys are getting big gains with the intake tgv and egr delete. However that will fail emissions everywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I’m having an issue with my car as of 1 hour ago. My car won’t pull at 3k rpm between 5th-6th gear. Any idea what’s going on? Has no power while driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuck my life. I’ll bring it to my local mechanic today, I’m trying to avoid going to the Subaru dealership unless I have to.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
The odds are it's something simple. Bad fuel, air leak post MAF sensor, or even a boost leak. The FA20 has proven to be fairly reliable with it's weak point being the rods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cars back to normal. I used fuel at mobile they have some weird 93 cleaner bullshit and I think it either cleaned my engine of bull shit or it was shit gas. Not sure but I got a fuel new fuel filter and added some fuel injector prior to that. Thanks for your info @XJman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
2 Participants
AIRTOTHE47
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing