Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After bouncing back and forth deciding between a plethora of 5 door cars, I decided to pick up (my first) Subaru this week. I knew I’d like it, but it turns out I REALLY like it. That said, only seemed fitting to join a community of like minded friends and neighbors ? Anyway, hi Subaru people! I’m happy to be here!

Attachments

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,896 Posts
Nice Choice! Welcome to the Club.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
What other 5-door cars did you consider?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What other 5-door cars did you consider?
I had a MazdaSpeed3 a few years ago, and briefly considered one of those again. The main shootout though was between the GTI and Focus ST. I wasn’t too excited for more torque steer after the MS3 but the general lower price points of the other cars kept me from panning them. The WRX popped up with 50k on the body and a new dealership installed engine, cold air, suspension, and exhaust for 17k out the door. I pounced within 5 mins of the listing going up!

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
I had a MazdaSpeed3 a few years ago, and briefly considered one of those again. The main shootout though was between the GTI and Focus ST. I wasn’t too excited for more torque steer after the MS3 but the general lower price points of the other cars kept me from panning them. The WRX popped up with 50k on the body and a new dealership installed engine, cold air, suspension, and exhaust for 17k out the door. I pounced within 5 mins of the listing going up!
Great! What year MS3 did you own? My wife had a 2008.

It would likely be a good idea to remove the intake and replace with an OEM airbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts

It would likely be a good idea to remove the intake and replace with an OEM airbox.
I had an 09’! Kinda tough waving goodbye to a few grand when driving it off the lot. Haven’t bought a new car since. I liked it though, just needed a truck for work so in 2012 I let it go. No longer needed a truck so back to a car!

What’s the reason for going back to an OEM airbox? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts

I had an 09’! Kinda tough waving goodbye to a few grand when driving it off the lot. Haven’t bought a new car since. I liked it though, just needed a truck for work so in 2012 I let it go. No longer needed a truck so back to a car!

What’s the reason for going back to an OEM airbox? Thanks!
The stock Subaru map does not play nicely with aftermarket intakes because of the way it calculates the fuel based off of the reading from the mass air flow sensor.

Aftermarket intakes change the path and volume of air in a way the maf sensor is no longer calibrated to the airflow going past it and will provide incorrect readings that can negatively impact the engine up to and including detonation and engine failure.

Your ecu will need calibrated for the intake on the vehicle. Aem will need a different calibration than a mishimoto and a mishimoto will need a different calibration than a Cobb intake and so on. They are not one size fits all, or one size fits some. They are intake per intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aftermarket intakes change the path and volume of air in a way the maf sensor is no longer calibrated to the airflow going past it and will provide incorrect readings that can negatively impact the engine up to and including detonation and engine failure.

Your ecu will need calibrated for the intake on the vehicle. Aem will need a different calibration than a mishimoto and a mishimoto will need a different calibration than a Cobb intake and so on. They are not one size fits all, or one size fits some. They are intake per intake.
Oh nahhhh that wouldn’t happen! Joking aside, I very much appreciate your input here. So if I take it in for a tune (just the Subaru dealership?), I can potentially get the new cold air that’s installed calibrated properly to the ecu?

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
You will have to go to a tuner to get a map for that intake. Subaru only flashes their software. You have options. Cobb sells a tuning device called the accessport that will allow you to load tunes to the ECU. They offer off the shelf tunes that only work with their product, however some companies offer similar things for their product.

You can also choose open source tuning and find someone to make an e-tune for your car.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Please try to keep the quote template intact... it's hard to read your posts.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
You can also choose open source tuning and find someone to make an e-tune for your car.
Without a WBO2 sensor, an e-tuner will struggle to map an aftermarket intake.

The proper strategy is to install the OEM airbox.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts

I didn't say there wouldn't be other required modifications. Just that it's an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will have to go to a tuner to get a map for that intake. Subaru only flashes their software. You have options. Cobb sells a tuning device called the accessport that will allow you to load tunes to the ECU. They offer off the shelf tunes that only work with their product, however some companies offer similar things for their product.

Once again - thank you for the knowledge! Did some research after your recommendations and I went with ordering the Cobb accessport tuner and to keep it simple on tuning I also ordered their air intake. I’ll just yank the K&N Typhoon and sell it or something ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts