Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to Subaru and my first one is a 2018 WRX I got in June.

As I mentioned in the title..... there are some problems I am having. I've been to the service center twice with two different CEL codes. First one was a P1604 which they told me the solution from Subaru USA was to just clear the code. There was no reason given for it.

The most recent one was a P0852 - Park/Neutral switch malfunction. The Tech called Subaru corporate after going through the troubleshooting tree.

They told him that it is apparently a software issue that they intend to fix sometime in December or January. Anyone else had this issue? The light comes on at least a couple of times a week and I have been just resetting the ECU myself. It's a little annoying though. My car has less than 4000 miles and to add to everything, my passenger side window would not go down using my driver side controls (the passenger side button worked though). Once I got going though, the switch started working which to me sounds like some sort of electrical short somewhere in the car.

I love my car, but I am beginning to feel like I might have gotten a lemon :(

· Registered
500 Posts
Keep going back to the same dealer for service. Don't "live" with the problem by resetting the code yourself. If you wish to build a lemon law case, assuming the state you reside in has one, you need to be able to produce documented visits of the same problem multiple times. Be assertive but maintain professionalism, and be willing to work with the dealer. It will make your life easier in the long run should you seek a manufacturer buy-back.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I popped over to Autozone just now to have the codes read. The code reader displayed that there were two codes, but would not actually display what the codes were once it was plugged into the computer. The tech said he hadn't seen that before. I'm beginning to think my electrical is all sorts of messed up.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. Where I live- legally- three documented serious problems with a new car and a dealer has to replace the car with a new one. It's a law here. I wonder if it is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read the fine print. Sometimes they have to be related to the same component or system.

However in this case I would not jump the gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
565 Posts
Read the fine print. Sometimes they have to be related to the same component or system.

However in this case I would not jump the gun.

Yeah, I don't know the details. All I know is a girl I work with ended up exercising this law because of repeat problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car was purchased in Ohio, I am currently in Texas. One of my service center visits was in Ohio, that was the P1604 code. The other one was in Texas, that was the P0852. I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

I'm documenting everything. Texas definitely has a lemon law. I'm not sure if it matters that I purchased the car in Ohio but now live in Texas.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update from my service visit today: the two codes were the same P0852 as last time and a new P1501 code for a power supply system error.

I have a loaner for the time being. A loaded Impreza that I have to admit is a pretty kitted out car for the price!

I gave Subaru Corporate a call while I was waiting. The customer service rep I spoke with was very understanding and seemed concerned about my issues. He agreed that this is not stuff that should be going on with a new car. He took all the history on the car and opened a file for it. He said he'd contact the service centers I've visited, talk to some higher ups, and contact me in a couple of days with more information. He promised a resolution. While it's his job to make sure I'm happy, I do feel like I'm genuinely being treated right.

I'll keep updating as information comes in. As far as I'm concerned this is a great test of Subaru's customer service. I've heard it's pretty good.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't imagine it being a massive issue. Did they say anything about the older tsb

I gave them the old TSB but they didn't have much to say about it other than "thanks" and mentioning that they would check it out.

do you remember how many miles the car had on it when these codes started appearing?
The first service invoice for the P1604 code was 1014 miles, P0852 was at 3779 miles, P0852 + P1501 was at 3896 miles.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well. The car is ready for picking up today.

I'm not very happy with what they told me. Obviously it's not the service center's fault, but I was basically told the same thing as last time. It's a software issue, there's a patch coming "sometime later this year or early next year" and in the mean time "don't shift quickly".

Honestly, I am pretty disappointed. I told them I intend to keep bringing the car in to have a record of service attempts. The service rep was understanding. I told him my overall confidence in the car and Subaru in general has taken a hit from this. This is my first Subie, it's brand new, it's not functioning properly, and all they can tell me is "deal with it for 2 to 4 months until we fix it."

My girlfriend's 09 Accord will need replacing in not too long. We were looking at the Crosstrek, but if Subaru can't make this right we might have to start looking at Honda and Toyota.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
If it has been 3 times in a row look into your lemon laws if you are worried. You may be able to raise enough stink with SOA, but it's not likely

· Banned
350 Posts
If it has been 3 times in a row look into your lemon laws if you are worried. You may be able to raise enough stink with SOA, but it's not likely

I'm with this, look into your lemon laws. if this was a software thing, wouldn't all 2018 WRX's experience this?

Furthermore, if you buy a brand new car, and making payments on said brand new car, I would be PISSED to find out i can't even enjoy my brand new car and instead, continues to pop check engine lights and such.

I really think you should look into a lemon law attorney, or do some small reading. Perhaps just tell the dealer you will be registering a lemon law complaint and see what happens (likely nothing)....this is why laws like this exist.

Don't let yourself back down and take it.

· Registered
417 Posts
I'm with this, look into your lemon laws. if this was a software thing, wouldn't all 2018 WRX's experience this?
yea, most likely. my 18' is at 1040 miles right now and no cel yet, im prob gonna drive it a couple hundred miles this weekend so we'll see. ive been keeping my ear to the ground quite a bit as im seriously considering an AP, and your the first person ive seen with these cel's. it smells a little sour to me as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.