ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know about what brand names are the best and which i should try avoiding also any pointers i will appreciate any help thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Welcome. See the link in my signature for modification info. The site vendors are an easy recommendation for shopping sites. Enjoy.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What car? What kind of modifications (aesthetics, power, handling, etc.)? Use of car (e.g., DD, Auto-X, etc.)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 04 wrx right I took the turbo of and took it to my buddies shop to get inspected and touched up and i want to reach the 300s in performance and handling as well. I was also reading bout the uppipe should that be my first mod ? And if so would u or anybody know a good shop and trust worthy to let them put the parts on my car in the future I live in Miami fl btw

·
29,233 Posts
The up pipe is a popular mod and a popular way to make the car illegal for use on any public road in the US. You will need the pipe, gaskets, and a resistor to fix the CEL that will result. Since you've removed the turbo you know the area well and so you can DIY this, there are how-to threads around. Have some band aids and a sedative around, the cars are getting old and if yours has spent its life near seawater those bolts will fight back.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
forgottentheory said:
I have a 04 wrx right I took the turbo of and took it to my buddies shop to get inspected and touched up and i want to reach the 300s in performance and handling as well. I was also reading bout the uppipe should that be my first mod ? And if so would u or anybody know a good shop and trust worthy to let them put the parts on my car in the future I live in Miami fl btw
Since you have a dyno # in mind, in terms of parts to reach it, you need to contact the shop that will have your car on the dyno. Every dyno reads differently, and they'll know what parts are needed to hit XXX on theirs. You haven't listed any modifications, so I'll assume the car is stock. If so, get an uppipe / turboback exhaust, and a custom reflash done on the car; see how that feels, before dumping $$ into power modifications.

On the 2.0L cars, an uppipe should be the first power modification done to the car. Since you already have the turbo off, it's only two more bolts at the exhaust manifold. If you were to gut the uppipe of catalyst material, you're basically getting "free" power/spool (only at the cost of new gaskets). I'm not familiar with the Miami FL area, so I can't recommend a shop for the work. I wouldn't expect a regular mechanic shop to be willing to tamper with emission control devices, so you may be left with performance shops as your only option, if you're not willing to DIY. My honest opinion is that you should DIY; the cost of tools, beer/food for any help, etc. will be much less than what a shop would charge (I would expect $200+), and you'll gain some knowledge in the process.

As for handling, the two areas you need to address are tires / alignment. Once you've dealt with them, you can move on to adding parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and as for the beer and food will do ina start looking into performance shops online and as for the gasket does it come with uppipe or it needs to be purchased seperate ?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
forgottentheory said:
as for the gasket does it come with uppipe or it needs to be purchased seperate ?
I've seen the gaskets that come with many aftermarket uppipes. After having done multiple installs, I recommend using OE gaskets from your local dealership. Once you've done an uppipe install, you'll realize the last thing you want to do is redo it because of a bad gasket...

forgottentheory said:
And yes the car is completely stock. Is the uppipe turboback and the cobb tunning a good combo
What are your emissions requirements? That's the big factor when it comes to making power in a Subaru, since you must remove emission control devices to get it (which, as SD pointed out, makes the car illegal on public roads).

I would recommend a custom tune over a base map like Cobb, if feasible. Not everyone has that option, at which point, Cobb makes a decent alternative.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
forgottentheory said:
Ok so ill just go to a subaru dealer and ask for the gasket. Not really to sure I got to look that up
Gaskets needed vary based on the install method. When I do an install, I use the following:
Turbo/downpipe
Turbo/uppipe
Manifold/uppipe
Manifold/crosspipe
Manifold/block

Should be $40-50

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
forgottentheory said:
So basically go to the dealer and ask for a gasket for an uppipe ?
Any union you break, you should replace the gasket. Your installation approach will determine what gaskets are needed. I already outlined what gaskets I typically replace.

·
29,233 Posts
ok i understand now uppipe to turbo but when i go to buy it will the dealer have them or is the uppipe similiar to the stock
The dealer will have authentic Subaru gaskets. You are buying authentic Subaru gaskets. Call ahead and if they are not in stock, they can be ordered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts