Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up an '02 WRX hatch and before i really get into working on it (of which it desperately needs) I wanted to ask you DIY guys what your most commonly used tools are. Keep in mind I work in a dealership, I come mainly from a Honda and Ford background and have a 54" Snap-On box full of the basics. Are there any Subaru specific tools I should pick up? oddball wrenches that make your life much easier? homemade tools because you can't reach that one little bas**** in the back of the engine bay? Lemme know your thoughts and recommendations?

·
Registered
161 Posts
One 10mm socket. Maybe a 12. Maybe a 14. That is all.

Really though you only need a metric set for most stuff, so you should be good. I can't really think of specific custom tools until you get into bushing work.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
What kind of work needs to be done? There are some specialty tools that can help with certain jobs (e.g., Company23 makes a cam lock tool for timing belt installs that is handy), but for the most part, if you have the basics in metric measurements, you're going to be pretty good to go...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, yeah. It doesn't look like a fun job to do plugs in the car. Though I'll likely be putting new plugs in it when I pull the motor for refresh.

@EJ: The motor is toast and needs to be gone through at the very least. Replaced, more than likely. If I can find one, I'll try and pick up a shortblock and just swap everything over, which means that cam tool could come in handy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.