Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Just took delivery on a new 50th Anniversary WRX last night. The color, wheels, and interior sold me and ended up getting to below the price most dealers were at for a Limited with the Harmon package - $35.9K out the door. Along with being new to Subaru, I'm new to turbo cars as well. I had a few questions I was hoping to get your insight on:

1.) The dealer told me there weren't hard/fast break-in procedures for the engine. I've read in other posts to keep it below 4K RPMs and no boost for the first 1K miles. Also, to keep at different RPMs/speeds on highways for that same time frame. Is that a good approach? Not gonna lie, I had some fun with it last night but nothing too crazy.

2.) I do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles, do you guys find the 16+ WRX rather easy to work on and maintain?

3.) Is there anything else I should know being new to the Subaru platform? I don't know about you guys but I feel like the Starlink infotainment system isn't as cool as I thought it'd be. I'm coming from an Acura, and even their tech seams to be a bit better than this.

Looking forward to learning and contributing here. The Mazda forum I was on for my Mazda was a great experience, hope the same here. :wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) The manual says to not go over 4k rpm for the first 1k miles, but I didn't see anything about turbo. I've heard to keep the boost low, but mainly so you're not flooring it.

2) Being a special edition, I think having the dealer do maintenance for record keeping purposes would be your best bet. That edition might be worth a decent amount more down the road if you have the records to show if you decide to sell at some point.

3) Yeah, the electronics are meh, not much more to say.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Basically you've got it for break in. You'll likely make some sort of positive pressure in normal driving, but you want to avoid going crazy and maintaining super high throttle input and boost pressure.

In general Subaru makes pretty maintainable vehicles, they are not the easiest things to work on, but there are far more difficult vehicles out there. The big pains are the plugs and coils because of the proximity to the frame. General stuff like brakes, fluids, filters, steering and suspension are all pretty comparable to other compact vehicles. If you are comfortable working on a car you should be fine. There are great databases out there about codes and what typical fixes resolves them.

The number one thing to keep in mind when owning it is using good maintenance practices. Modifications to the engine generally require tuning so anything short of a cat back will require you to find some form of tuning solution. This includes intake and turbo back exhausts. The fa20 platform responds better to intake modifications than vehicles in the past, so its worth keeping in mind when purchasing modifications.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Follow the break in procedure. Dont be afraid to drive it but I wouldn't go blowing past 4000 rpms with my foot to the floor. Keep the revs over 2000 and dont lug the motor, even after break in. If you do your own oil and stuff keep receipts and document stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies! I do plan on doing my own oil changes and such because it just pains me to pay 50+ for that at the dealership. I'm really looking forward to opening this thing up a little more after the first 1K.

Regarding Starlink, I'm actually finding it not to be all too bad now that I've played around with it for a couple days. I do with it had Apple Play though. The HK sound system isn't all too bad. It's comparable to the Bose in my old Acura.

What do you guys think about the Heritage Blue color? I wasn't sold on it until I saw it in person. It looks amazing and pictures really don't do it justice. The satin silver finish to the wheels is also sick.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dealer I checked out had a 50th STi, and they wouldnt really deal because "it was such a high demand car" I was pretty much indifferent to it. I wish they took more of a chance with the color, it just seems a little subdued, They could have called it "play it safe blue". I really like HyperBlue so Im not exactly the target audience. I did like the silver wheels, but I like the red trim and red seatbelts better in the regular STI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too wish the color was more bold, but I really like it. It looks different shades in different lights and just has a slick pearl look to it. LOL at "safe blue." I'm going to call mine that from now on.

The funny thing is the first dealer I saw it at was asking like 1K over STICKER price for them for the same reason. This one I bought it at, I don't think they really knew what they had.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Gettin' my oil changed at the dealer. This was in the showroom...

View attachment 307354

$40K out the door. HK sound. Both the paint and the rims look much awesomer in real life.

I am hoping they will have that color when the 2020 redesign rolls out...

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Funny thing... I saw one of these STI's on a transport truck on the way to the dealer before they were announced. Did a double take when I saw it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Doctor Jeff, the attachment isn't working. Is it the 50th STI or WRX? $40K out the door for a 50th STI would be a sick deal. I got my WRX for $35.9K out the door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny thing... I saw one of these STI's on a transport truck on the way to the dealer before they were announced. Did a double take when I saw it.
Yeah, I bet that was a trip. Didn't you think the color and wheels look so much nicer in person?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered a few things for the WRX yesterday - got reverse/turn smoke film, Perrin brass bushing, Weathertech clear frames and mats. I am really looking forward to seeing how the new bushing is going to improve the crispness of the shifts. One thing I would really like to find out how I can accomplish without investing in an STS is to get that satisfying "click" shifting into gears. Any one have input there?

Also scheduled an appointment for tinting this weekend. Going 35% all around. I had 20% on my Acura and loved the look but always found it to be a pain in the ass to drive at night.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Yeah, I bet that was a trip. Didn't you think the color and wheels look so much nicer in person?
Honestly, hard for me to form an opinion. It happened pretty quick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered a set of these in-channel window visors, unfortunately the company is in AU so it's going to be awhile until they get here. They remind me of the Weathertech ones I had on my Acura. I can't believe Weathertech only makes a front set for our WRXs.

View attachment 307954

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dont like the subaru ones?
I really enjoy them for the most part, but the part that hangs past the rear window kind of bothers me. That was the one thing I couldn't get past. I feel like the in-channel ones flow with the car a bit better IMO. I also haven't seen these anywhere else, so I'm glad there were a few pictures on their listings.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I really enjoy them for the most part, but the part that hangs past the rear window kind of bothers me. That was the one thing I couldn't get past. I feel like the in-channel ones flow with the car a bit better IMO. I also haven't seen these anywhere else, so I'm glad there were a few pictures on their listings.
Be careful with the in-channel ones, I had a set of weathertech for the fronts and one of them actually sliced/split the corner of my weatherstripping and had to be repaired. I was gonna go OEM but now I'm just going without em all together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Be careful with the in-channel ones, I had a set of weathertech for the fronts and one of them actually sliced/split the corner of my weatherstripping and had to be repaired. I was gonna go OEM but now I'm just going without em all together.
Interesting. What part of the weather stripping? Was it because of the install or afterwards with movement or wear/tear?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts