Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
You'll enjoy the sti. It's a different beast than the rsx. You'll really enjoy the better torque and won't need to wind it out to Oblivion for fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really look forward to it. In the RSX, I had to make all this noise just to pass someone; getting up to 7k rpm. The RSX was also extremely annoying when bunching up a group of people inside. Also doesnt feel like a safe winter car.

Aside from the power, I bought the STI for many reasons. Over the years I've convinced myself that theres really nothing better for me than an STi. Power, turbo spool, 4 doors for friends and family, sattelite radio, good all wheel drive car for winter.

I see it as an enthusiast's car that can do everything.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you driven the STI? Dealer was lame here so I haven't driven one yet. I know the power difference will be huge, but curious how it "feels" overall compared to a well modded RSX with
The dealership I went to also didnt have any STI's or even WRX's for test drives. I haven't driven one but I've heard nothing but good things. It puts you into your seat more than the RSX thats for sure. Also I'd suspect the AWD feels amazing especially in winter.

For just general driving/cruising feel, every reviewer I've watched is amazed at how smooth the ride is, and they say the STi transmission shifts smooth.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
hicompb18c1 said:
Have you driven the STI? Dealer was lame here so I haven't driven one yet. I know the power difference will be huge, but curious how it "feels" overall compared to a well modded RSX with
The power difference isn't "huge". The way the car puts power down through the RPM range and the way it handles at the limit, that's a big difference.

Dealer won't let you test drive the car, they won't make the sale. How can you buy a $40K vehicle they won't let you drive first? I understand they don't want joy rides from uninterested / unqualified buyers, but seriously?

· Registered
1 Posts
Just my two cents. I bought a 2018 WRX Limited literally 2 days ago. Can't tell you how much I truly love the car. I had a 2016 WRX STI. The STI is a remarkable car in terms of performance, and grittiness. However, that is all I can say about it. I had the STAGE 2+ package and thought it was night and day compared to stock. The only problem was that under 4k the car was just as slow as a Nissan Sentra and at 80mph trying to punch it was virtually pointless. The cars engine is super antiquated and needs some work for sure. Needless to say I traded the car in, had some awesome equity, $12,000 and opted for the more mature normalized WRX limited. I drove the premium performance package but it was whack, unless you are still into the boy racer look and can fathom sitting in some red recaro's that feel just as good as the base seats lol... The limited is much more refined. As far as refined, the Limited and the 2018 itself is about one light year ahead of the 2016. Cabin noise is quieter until you lower the windows down just to hear some engine and exhaust notes. The infotainment is either now HD or just looks aestethicgally pleasing, sound quality from the speakers is exceptional. The LED fogs combined with the HID headlights makes for a nice look. I got the pearl white and the black housing combined with the black/dark grey accents makes the car look better. The headlights have a feature that allows them to move left to right slightly while on turns. This is a great feature and honestly you won't mind it.
-Performance, The 2018 WRX's clutch has made leaps and bounds. No more bucking or small engagement points in pedal. Its right on the money and way easier to drive around town. Lets face it, you will drive the car more than 99% of its life in normal day to day driving. The WRX pulls exceptionally harder at lower RPM's and with that in refrains you from having to rev out the RPM's. The suspension is pretty closely matched in everyday driving situations. I don't notice a difference, if there is, its about 5% from STI to WRX. I think its the new wider rims/tire combo. The brakes are fine and the STI's Brembo's were trash in my opinion. Now the 2018 has changed a few things in the STI and I cannot comment on the difference. Since the WRX made refinements like so, I believe the STI must drive better this year as well, but still has that boring EJ.............. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, and look forward to COBB or MAP to release their OTS maps for this year. After all the accessport can be thrown on either the STI or WRX.
Gas is a lot better in the WRX as anyone here can clearly understand that, if you dont mind wasting fuel all freaking day than the STI will please you in that fashion.
Save your money and get the WRX. I had the initial mentality of just going all in and getting the big dog STI, it was alright but the WRX will please you just as well.
At the end of the day, its your money to invest. Good luck, will enjoy either.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just my two cents. I bought a 2018 WRX Limited literally 2 days ago. Can't tell you how much I truly love the car. I had a 2016 WRX STI. The STI is a remarkable car in terms of performance, and grittiness. However, that is all I can say about it. I had the STAGE 2+ package and thought it was night and day compared to stock. The only problem was that under 4k the car was just as slow as a Nissan Sentra and at 80mph trying to punch it was virtually pointless. The cars engine is super antiquated and needs some work for sure. Needless to say I traded the car in, had some awesome equity, $12,000 and opted for the more mature normalized WRX limited. I drove the premium performance package but it was whack, unless you are still into the boy racer look and can fathom sitting in some red recaro's that feel just as good as the base seats lol... The limited is much more refined. As far as refined, the Limited and the 2018 itself is about one light year ahead of the 2016. Cabin noise is quieter until you lower the windows down just to hear some engine and exhaust notes. The infotainment is either now HD or just looks aestethicgally pleasing, sound quality from the speakers is exceptional. The LED fogs combined with the HID headlights makes for a nice look. I got the pearl white and the black housing combined with the black/dark grey accents makes the car look better. The headlights have a feature that allows them to move left to right slightly while on turns. This is a great feature and honestly you won't mind it.
-Performance, The 2018 WRX's clutch has made leaps and bounds. No more bucking or small engagement points in pedal. Its right on the money and way easier to drive around town. Lets face it, you will drive the car more than 99% of its life in normal day to day driving. The WRX pulls exceptionally harder at lower RPM's and with that in refrains you from having to rev out the RPM's. The suspension is pretty closely matched in everyday driving situations. I don't notice a difference, if there is, its about 5% from STI to WRX. I think its the new wider rims/tire combo. The brakes are fine and the STI's Brembo's were trash in my opinion. Now the 2018 has changed a few things in the STI and I cannot comment on the difference. Since the WRX made refinements like so, I believe the STI must drive better this year as well, but still has that boring EJ.............. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, and look forward to COBB or MAP to release their OTS maps for this year. After all the accessport can be thrown on either the STI or WRX.
Gas is a lot better in the WRX as anyone here can clearly understand that, if you dont mind wasting fuel all freaking day than the STI will please you in that fashion.
Save your money and get the WRX. I had the initial mentality of just going all in and getting the big dog STI, it was alright but the WRX will please you just as well.
At the end of the day, its your money to invest. Good luck, will enjoy either.
Thank you for the feedback.
Im definitely not expecting it to be some kind of formula racecar, but I do believe it will have much more pickup than my torqueless Acura which was also front-wheel-drive.
Also dont care for Recaro seats, I've heard they are the same as the base seats.

I love the performance aspects but also the overall ability to be a great daily driver with 4 doors and bluetooth, gps, CONVENIENT spots for cupholders (the RSX had the most stupid spot ever for cupholders), and good control for the snowy days here in Canada.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
My experience is very different.

The EJ has a lot more torque in vacuum, which is where you spend most of your time driving the car. This gives it a much better feel around town.

There are also a lot of other considerations to be made.

Do you plan on doing AutoX or HPDE?

Do you plan on modifying the car?

If you are doing neither, then yes -- I agree the WRX is a better option.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experience is very different.

The EJ has a lot more torque in vacuum, which is where you spend most of your time driving the car. This gives it a much better feel around town.

There are also a lot of other considerations to be made.

Do you plan on doing AutoX or HPDE?

Do you plan on modifying the car?

If you are doing neither, then yes -- I agree the WRX is a better option.
For my first 3-4 years of ownership. I do not plan on tracking the car or going on any rally routes. Mods? You bet, once the warranty is over. Or if Subaru gives me the green light. Im not in a rush to mod because my past two cars have been modded so I've gotten the experience I wanted.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
For my first 3-4 years of ownership. I do not plan on tracking the car or going on any rally routes. Mods? You bet, once the warranty is over. Or if Subaru gives me the green light. Im not in a rush to mod because my past two cars have been modded so I've gotten the experience I wanted.
You might consider the driver mod! AutoX is cheap and not very hard on the vehicle -- one of the best ways to learn better car control.

Regarding the modification -- feel good about your purchase. In the case of modifying, the STI is the better platform without a doubt.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just came from an RSX-S myself but I got into the 2012 WRX Premium. After my first week of really getting to know the car it is a completely different beast. This car does put you back in your seat when you get on it but already in a couple storms I've felt more planted than I ever did in the Acura. Congrats on your purchase and I hope it treats you well!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just came from an RSX-S myself but I got into the 2012 WRX Premium. After my first week of really getting to know the car it is a completely different beast. This car does put you back in your seat when you get on it but already in a couple storms I've felt more planted than I ever did in the Acura. Congrats on your purchase and I hope it treats you well!
Thank you! I hope you're enjoying yours too!:D

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might consider the driver mod! AutoX is cheap and not very hard on the vehicle -- one of the best ways to learn better car control.

Regarding the modification -- feel good about your purchase. In the case of modifying, the STI is the better platform without a doubt.
Autocross does sound like the best option for the first year or two. That would definitely get me familiar with the cars handling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.