ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

First of all, my name is Josh and I like to go fast!

I am looking to buy a used WRX, been looking at a 2012 or newer since that's the year that the head gaskets had been improved upon if I did my research correctly.

What are some things that I should look out for as sure signs that it was driven hard and put away wet so to speak, if any?

Any tips for a first time subie/WRX owner?

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Get a pre purchase inspection. Stereotype the owner, does he look like a flat bill bro? Don't buy a modified car. Pick a price you are willing to pay and stick to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Get a pre purchase inspection. Stereotype the owner, does he look like a flat bill bro? Don't buy a modified car. Pick a price you are willing to pay and stick to it.
Great advice, I've had friends tell me to avoid people that look like a bro too so that's quite hilarious to me. :ROFLMAO:

I'm more than likely going to be buying it from a dealership to avoid as much of that worry as I can, plus I've got a friend that works at a subaru dealership so I'd be dumb not too.

edit: I just found a thread where you and a few others are discussing cyl 4 failure due to uneven headers, is there an average mileage that that happens or is it dependent on how the car is driven etc? The one I'm eyeing currently is a 2012 with 120k, my main concern was 3000 mile oil changes or close being done on it, is this something else I should be on the lookout for then too and should I get even headers ASAP?

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
It's a combination of factors and uneven exhaust scavenging is one of them. It's not a guarantee fail as some guys go hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, some go hundreds of miles and detonation totals a piston.

When modifying a car it's in your best interest to install equal length headers. However less so on a stock, or Cobb staged vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a combination of factors and uneven exhaust scavenging is one of them. It's not a guarantee fail as some guys go hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, some go hundreds of miles and detonation totals a piston.

When modifying a car it's in your best interest to install equal length headers. However less so on a stock, or Cobb staged vehicle.
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me! I'll definitely be keeping it mostly stock this go around so I won't stress too much about it

...down the road when I buy new I may or may not start playing around but that's only when I know the engine won't fail from something that happened prior to my ownership like improper oil etiquette

·
Registered
301 Posts
My advice is buy a car that was kept stock. Look for a full service history, complete will all receipts. It doesn't have to be dealer serviced, but there should be a log and receipts. Don't buy from 66 year old track rats (inside joke). Actually people that track their cars tend to be extra careful on maintenance. It is as if their life may depend on it ….

1 - 6 of 6 Posts