Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a thread here I decided to stop & test drive an sti to see the difference. Now I have a 16 sti limited. I came from a honda fit to the wrx & that was a world of difference. Now from a wrx to an sti I would say its close to as big of change. The steering feels heavier and the car feels more planted. The ride is stiff but less bouncy. Acceleration is way smoother & I don't accidentally "launch" every time I start to go & it cruises at a specific speed better. Only issues so far is I have a hard time blipping into 1st (I'll get it eventually).

The car has warrantee left & there is a few noises I am concerned about. Before I take it in I wanted to run it by people here for alternative opinions & to better know what to tell the service people.

When sitting still if you turn the wheel you get a noise like a squeaky belt when you get close to max turn.

When accelerating, if you let off the sound of air being blown through a tube with a light spring in it comes from behind the glove box.

I will try to get audio but my phone didn't pick up clearly. My cousin will be over with a laptop I can plug a condenser mic into. I will try again.

Noises aside, I absolutely love this car.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
When sitting still if you turn the wheel you get a noise like a squeaky belt when you get close to max turn.
That's likely the belt. Go have them replace it with an authentic Subaru belt and check the pump and reservoir for leaks and noises.

When accelerating, if you let off the sound of air being blown through a tube with a light spring in it comes from behind the glove box.
Since you said "Honda Fit" your glove box is on the right side of the dash. You're probably hearing the wastegate. Is your car modified?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Jazz reference, yes my glove box is on the right & the sound would be when the bov would be making sound. I don't think the car is modified. The dealership said it had axleback that they swapped. The carfax showed maintenance done at that dealer & it is certified pre owned. I will definitely have them do the belt & fluid. I have to go back to have them swap the axle back I had on my wrx.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is entirely possible that it is coming from the sound tube & that the noise is "normal". The wrx was my 1st turbo & this is my 1st "performance" car. To me something sounds loose though. I linked a pic of what I think may be the sound tube & if it is that would be about where the sound comes from

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Is this sound tube thing new?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have no clue. I don't know enough to say they do or don't. I have heard of some companies doing it but no info if subaru does or doesn't. I will say that this car sounds nothing like my wrx did. When the turbo kicked in you got kind of a suctioning whooshing sound. This car you don't get as much of that. It does get boost according to the butt dyno & gauge. While getting on the highway in a spirited fashon it will hit around 17lbs of boost. I am taking it back to get it looked at by a professional & don't expect a diagnosis here. I was kinda hoping someone here may have had similar issue & some idea what it is. Too bad car talk isn't still on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So there is a sound tube. Going to try blocking it off & see if the sound stops. I watched a vid on yt, guy was a bit odd but described the sound I had. I have an appointment at the dealer to replace the belt h fluid for the steering. I kinda like this dealership. They are a bit far but very accommodating & they don't charge double for a wrx oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts