Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm new to this site and I think it's great.

I am going to buy a WRX when my lease is up and I just had a question.

I have only driven a stick a few times and not really recently. I really wanted to get the stick but I don't want to screw it up.

Do you think I should stay away from the stick since I don't have really any experience with it? I don't have another car to learn on.

Thanks for the help,
Frank

·
Registered
699 Posts
hmm...
well the wrx isn't the easiest to learn on probably IMO. But i would definently buy a stick over an auto. I'd say you could learn and are you sure one of your friends doesn't have something?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
You'll be all right. Just take it easy. I wouldn't go out trying to be boy racer before you get it really figured out, but otherwise you'll regret it later if you get an Auto just 'cause you're not sure of the learning curve.

How did it go before? Some people are more natural at it than others. If it came naturally before, you'll have no problem at all.

C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It went pretty well. I've only done it 3 or 4 times in the past 13 years. I don't think I will have a problem but I don't know how easy the WRX is to dricve with a stick. Some car are more forgiving than others. It is also not a problem with my wife, she has had a stick in the past. I guess she can teach me on "my" new car. Boy what kind of man am I if a woman has to teach me to drive a stick. LOL

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
480 Posts
Magictrickboy71 said:
It is also not a problem with my wife, she has had a stick in the past. I guess she can teach me on "my" new car. Boy what kind of man am I if a woman has to teach me to drive a stick. LOL

Thanks,
Frank
I wouldn't sweat that one too much, Frank. :) Anyhow, what's really to teach ? The mechanics of operating a manual transmission are quite simple - the true learning comes about through practice and repetition.

If you're worried about messing up your new WRX - an understandable concern - I agree with blackshadow, borrow a stick shift car from a sympathetic friend to practice in. Or why not just arrange a couple of lessons with a driving school ? Shouldn't take more than a session or two for you to get the feel of it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought my Rex having driven a stick once, and I think I am doing okay. What I would have done differently though is I would have gone to a local rent-a-car and beat up on one of their stick cars for a weekend. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't really think the WRX is a "tough" car to drive with the stick. It is a little trick because of the powerband, but having low hp at lower rpms might actually help for learning. If you shift below 3k you won't have to worry about accelerating too fast or stuff like that. I'd say that the clutch would have to be much stiffer and the gears would have to be much closer together for it to be a "tough" car to learn on.

-Jay

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
well the WRX is different...

you have to rev pretty high, more than other cars i've driven at least... and the clutch engagement is farther out than other cars I have driven.

however, after a week, I got the hang of it enough not to stall and drive relatively smooth.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Magictrickboy71 said:
It is also not a problem with my wife, she has had a stick in the past. I guess she can teach me on "my" new car. Boy what kind of man am I if a woman has to teach me to drive a stick. LOL

Thanks,
Frank
That's a very good question. Get the stick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get the stick. This was my first time driving a stick and it was a piece of cake to get the hang of. Less than a lunch hour.
Even after driving my WRX for the last three months I still have a hell of time moving my room mates Saturn stick car. The stick will quickly grow on you, and all of my friends agree that the WRX was the easiest to adapt to. My two cents:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:
well the WRX is different...

you have to rev pretty high, more than other cars i've driven at least... and the clutch engagement is farther out than other cars I have driven.

however, after a week, I got the hang of it enough not to stall and drive relatively smooth.
really? IMO it was pretty much the same as most cars with the redline say at liek 1500-2000 it drove smooth as a baby's bottom...most cars were around the same give or take. I didn't expect the 1st gear thing. How you have to like almost stop to get it in 1st. But i'm not complaining by any means.

To the topic at hand. Stick is real easy once you get the hang of it. I dont even think anymore i just shift. Get the stick you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'll go along and add my $0.02 as well. I'd definitely get the stick. I think that you'll be sorry you didn't later on, and it's not that difficult to learn to drive one. There are only two reasons to buy an auto IMO: 1) you have medical reasons why you can't drive a stick, and 2) you want to build a MEAN drag car. You just can't shift as consistently as with an auto when tons of power is on tap.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Get a stick. I had driven a stick before but on only 3-4 occasions on my hubbys transam. It does take some getting used to but in about 2 weeks you'll feel sufficiently comfortable with it. I know I did. As long as you are careful and don't completely grind the hell out of your gears, you'll be fine. I test drove an automatic and didn't like it one bit. Buy whatever feels right to you.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Be sure to sit close enough to have a sufficient bend in the knee when completely clutched in. This will give you more confidence in my opinion. If you sit gangsta low and back, you'll not only have problems seeing in front of you, you'll be overstretching yourself to press the clutch in on gear shifts. This car has a long clutch travel and having an untrained foot floating in the air and shifting only when just passed the friction point is not a bright thing to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Clutch engagement is WAY to long! I mean this is only the second manual car i have ever driven but the engagement is just soo freaking long........ my eclipse engages in about 4 inches...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts