ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to play with my new air tools and put on my new suspension, even though it was raining today and I don't have a garage.

Full run-down :
Version 8 STi takeoff struts
Tanabe GF-210 Springs
Noltec Caster/Camber plates in front (Street version)
STi V8 Grp. N rear top mounts
Rear camber bolts

Already had been running Perrin RSB & Endlinks, on Yoko ES-100's.

So I'm still pre-alignment (drove a bunch today, so I might do it tomorrow) but it feels really nice. About as stiff as I'm comfortable with (~240fr/220rr) but the improvement in transitions, and decrease in bodyroll is great. Something I didn't expect so much is how much better braking feels w/ the reduction in dive...and a similar improvement in how "quick" the car feels because it responds to power that much better. Could be placebo, but it certainly feels quicker somehow. This will be mostly a street run setup, w/ occasionaly Auto-X probably, so I'm planning on running 0 toe, and -1.5 front camber, -1.0 rear, or something similar, like -1.75, -1.25 at least thats what I'll shoot for.

Another bonus is that since these springs lower more in the front, the wheel gap looks pretty appropriate, even w/ the sedan struts and camber plates. I'd say its now a 2 finger gap in the front, and 1 in the rear...hopefully have photos sometime soon. So far it gets a :D and a :thumbup:

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem w/ the Noltecs geting there. I'd start w/ them fully pushed back (most caster) and fully in (most camber). If for some reason you have too much camber (guys w/ the v7 sedan setups didn't) you can use your oem ones to dial them out. It'sa lot easier fro the alignment folks using the oem bolts to adjust camber (vs the plates).

Also curious what you got for ride height- if you don't mind measuring front/rear (should be on flat ground) measure from the center of the wheel- straight up to the wheel arch.

Thanks and let us know what alignement specs you get.

Oh yeah wagons rule!:D

Big Sky

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Sky WRX said:
Oh yeah wagons rule!:D

Big Sky
Definitely!

From what I read around here, thats how I set the Noltecs from the get-go. I'm hoping to get to a shop later on today for an alignment.

I measured from the center of the center caps on the wheels straight up to the fender. Fronts were 14", rears 13" ...almost dead on both measurements too, which works out to about 355.6 mm, and 330.2 mm respectively. Its interesting, I had a set of V7 STi springs on my stock struts previous to this, and I think the rear was just as low, probably the spring rate made the difference there. Now the gap is much more neutral looking, with the front still slightly higher, but looks correct at least.

Maybe I'll clean off my gross wheels and snap a photo or two to give a better idea of how this looks...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upate...

Alignment is done. I gave them a range and they got it to the lower end of it :rolleyes: oh well, The settings I got should certainly be fine for my purposes... 0 toe all around, camber is -1.5 front, -1.0 rear. From speaking with the tech, I'd say -1.8 in the front is possible with this setup, maybe a little more, breaking -2.0 would probably require more work of some sort.

The ride does seem a teeny bit smoother after the alignment but I haven't really driven it much yet. It can be a bit bouncy on the crappy highways around here, but that goes along with these kinds of spring rates I guess...certainly not coilover stiff, but a pretty good compromise.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Those are good camber settings IMO- you should be pretty happy w/ them. Looks like you can squeeze more camber out of the v8 sedan setup vs the v7 sedan setup.

Your ride heights are ~ 31mm lower than oem front and 46mm lower in the rear.

Any idea what they advertise for drop on those?

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think the camber settings should be great...I looked back and found that driggity was getting a max of -1.2 in the front at max Caster... I'm at max caster on the plates and -1.5 for camber no problem. Definitely a little more range w/ the V8s, and the lowering springs...

I believe the advertised drop is something like 1.3/1.0 but thats for an STi if I remember correctly, so it should be more like 1.6, 1.3 for a stock WRX. The Metric measurements read about 1.2, and 1.8. That does include the additional height in the front from the plates and the V8 struts. The rear is a bunch lower...but I have a rather heavy subwoofer and enclosure in the back, and in addition to my extra 80 lbs. So I'd say that all makes sense...its nice when things do!

Thats rad Brian, you finally have handling to match that power! :p I'm not sure when I'll be around...doing brake lines/pads tonight. Air tools open all kinds of possibilities to make work quick. :D
Maybe next week sometime...I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WRC_Obsessed said:
Doing brakes next? I think you have to have to change your sig now. :D
Haaa! True, true. I got some money, and my car indeed ate it all, though. So once again, I'm glad I'm once again broke...because if I get anymore money, my car will consume that too ;)

\/\/ that better?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dark_rex said:
air tools?

who did the alignment?

sounds great. :) congrats.
Air tools --> Yeah..I bought myself a nice setup for my B-day...15 gallon tank w/ 4 hp compressor from Sears, 550 ft-lb impact wrench, impact ratchet, and impact sockets. Air tools are fun...even just the noise they make is cool, but zipping those 19mm strut bolts off in 3 seconds is nice too.

I had a local tire shop do the alignment...near where I work (Mansfield).

thx for the congrats! I'm lovin' it so far.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Silva_Wagon said:
Air tools --> Yeah..I bought myself a nice setup for my B-day...15 gallon tank w/ 4 hp compressor from Sears, 550 ft-lb impact wrench, impact ratchet, and impact sockets. Air tools are fun...even just the noise they make is cool, but zipping those 19mm strut bolts off in 3 seconds is nice too.
Joe can help out with all sorts of stuff now. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WRC_Obsessed said:
Joe can help out with all sorts of stuff now. :D
Heehee. Looks like I'm going to be recruited for the next install day now. :D

dark_rex said:
like helping to shut up my noisy rear struts?

<hoping>
Hrmmm...its possible. Only thing is I don't have a great place to work on cars...I have a shared driveway. But for a beer or 10 I can usually be talked into throwing my crap into my car (I can easily fit all my tools and compressor into my wagon...as Big Sky said...Wagons rule!) and lend a hand. Who knows, a little white lithium thrown here or there might solve the issue.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Hrmmm...its possible. Only thing is I don't have a great place to work on cars...I have a shared driveway. But for a beer or 10 I can usually be talked into throwing my crap into my car (I can easily fit all my tools and compressor into my wagon...as Big Sky said...Wagons rule!) and lend a hand. Who knows, a little white lithium thrown here or there might solve the issue. [/B]
10? F that. how about a party ball! :D

I have a garage, but no lift. :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dark_rex said:
10? F that. how about a party ball! :D

I have a garage, but no lift. :(
Haaa, How about a Keg! :D Though we'll have to wait to tap it until all repairs are finished. Alcohol + 1/2" Impact wrench = bad.

A garage is 100 steps ahead of me...I have an ok floor jack, which serves my purposes. I'm pretty busy this week, and into next...but when you have a couple open nights, lemme know...

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Silva_Wagon said:
Haaa, How about a Keg! :D Though we'll have to wait to tap it until all repairs are finished. Alcohol + 1/2" Impact wrench = bad.

A garage is 100 steps ahead of me...I have an ok floor jack, which serves my purposes. I'm pretty busy this week, and into next...but when you have a couple open nights, lemme know...
wow. you rock. :)

btw, sigged you.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dark_rex said:
wow. you rock. :)
Thx! :D

btw, sigged you.
Nice!

Another little update, on 495S near where it meets 95 in MA, there's a bunch of frost-heave patches. They're probably a foot wide, and some are sunk in an inch or so, some are 2 or 3 inches high (tough gauging height at highway speeds). But in some places there's 5 or 6 of these things all 20-40 feet apart...which seems far, but those white lines on the highway are 17 feet long...so thats a relative scale. Anyway, you can certainly feel these more now, but the car moves less. And I can say that the suspension is settled by the time it hits each consecutive one. (traveling ~80 mph) The stock suspension definitely floated over these, and of course as it hit each one it would amplify and get more and more floaty. I like having control all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts