ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! One of my Dunlop tires has a defect and I will need to buy new summer tires in the spring. I'm on the original Dunlop tires that came with my 2018 WRX. They have about 7k miles and no one can identify exactly which tire has the defect.

That said, I am curious as to what tires everyone uses for summer. On prior cars I would purchase Pirelli all season and my husband is highly against this idea (I do understand why too). Pirelli does have a great summer tire that I would prefer since he doesn't want me to go to all season. Does anyone have Pirelli's on their WRX? If not, what do you have and why do you like it? Looking for any input.... thanks!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
Wait, what is the defect?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait, what is the defect?
No idea! They narrowed it down to one of two tires. They can't see it on the outside of the tire and think maybe it is a belt in the tire that is defective or broke for some reason along the way. Since they can't see it they can't tell me for sure.

·
Super Modulator
19,282 Posts
What type of driving do you do?
Is this simply a commuter or do you take the car to the track or do autocross?
What part of the country/world do you live?
Do you drive the car in the winter?
How often do you push the limits or drive "spiritedly?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of driving do you do?
Is this simply a commuter or do you take the car to the track or do autocross?
What part of the country/world do you live?
Do you drive the car in the winter?
How often do you push the limits or drive "spiritedly?"
Daily driving, I do like to push the limits but nothing too extreme. I'm in IN, USA and yes I do drive in the winter. I have blizzaks for the winter & different rims.

To answer the question above on what was happening, my car felt extremely out of alignment. I could let got of the wheel and the car would change lanes in less than 15 seconds. After the dealership checked the specs for alignment (which was to specs when I brought it in) they played around with rotating the tires & driving it. Once my front tires were on the back the issue no longer occurred. From there it stood out to be a tire issue, the problem is they can't tell me which of the tires on the back has the defect and which one doesn't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help! One of my Dunlop tires has a defect and I will need to buy new summer tires in the spring. I'm on the original Dunlop tires that came with my 2018 WRX. They have about 7k miles and no one can identify exactly which tire has the defect.

That said, I am curious as to what tires everyone uses for summer. On prior cars I would purchase Pirelli all season and my husband is highly against this idea (I do understand why too). Pirelli does have a great summer tire that I would prefer since he doesn't want me to go to all season. Does anyone have Pirelli's on their WRX? If not, what do you have and why do you like it? Looking for any input.... thanks!
I put on a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero GT for summer performance tires and I purchased a set of Blizzak LM001 tires in early January for winter performance. I’ve been very happy with both sets. Screenshots of exact purchases attached.

I like the Pirelli tires because they come with a rounded shoulder on the tire, and because of this, there won’t be as noticeable a difference in wheel feel as they wear. That was an issue for me as the OEM tires wore down after spirited driving on my new 2016 WRX.

I also put on some sturdier brake pads which has helped significantly with the soft brakes that occur on OEM brake pads after pushing them hard, which can be scary when you’re running switchbacks down a mountain road—I experienced that firsthand, and knew I had to take care of the issue. It’s one of the common complaints about the 2015+ WRXs. The pads I put on are much more reliable as far as consistent performance under heavy use—I have no regrets about switching to them. They do squeak a bit more than the OEMs, but nothing too constant or annoying.

Hope that helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
MurkNurk
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing