Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought a 2012 wrx hatch. The car has the subaru perfommance double exaust and has a very nice rumble but im looking for something thats sounds better. My question is, if i add a cobb intake and maybe invidia n1 up and down pipe can i just instal those and be fine? Or will i run into problems?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Hey guys just bought a 2012 wrx hatch. The car has the subaru perfommance double exaust and has a very nice rumble but im looking for something thats sounds better. My question is, if i add a cobb intake and maybe invidia n1 up and down pipe can i just instal those and be fine?
No.

Or will i run into problems?
Yes.

I urge you to search the fora on specific information and to not buy any parts whatsoever, because it's a backwards approach. First sort out how you want to car mapped, then if needed add hardware.

Anything else will at best be expensive, at worst really expensive (and add money for taxis too).

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
You can add a cat or axle back exhaust only and not require tuning. Basically everything else requires a new tune. Since Cobb essentially only supports their brand you will have to pay for any tune you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any sugestin on a cat or axle back exaust i could get that sounds good? And intake that does not require any tune?

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Everything these guys said is spot on. ANYTHING aside from a catback exhaust, including axleback, etc will require a tune. As far as catback exhausts go my preference is the following: Invidia, Corsa, and nameless. In that order. But that's just my personal tastes. All three of those companies make a great exhaust. And there are some others that other people will recommend.

Also, an uppipe is not needed on your car. Since 2006 Subaru hasn't had a cat on the uppipe that was wiping out turbo's. The only time you should consider upgrading your uppipe is if you are going with an external wastegate setup.

Every intake needs tuned for BTW. Like stated, catback exhausts are the only thing you can add without a tune. And they create little to no power by themselves. They are just noise makers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks i think il justget the stage 1 for now and then buy an exaust so il already have the access port. Last question does a blow off valve require a tune or no? My friend wants to give me his old one its an kompact turbosmart

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Throw it away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys its me again! What do you guys think of a perrin intake its for sale for close too 300$ and a friend of mine wants to sell it cheap?

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
About the blow off valve. NO. Like they said, don't even waste the time. Number one it cannot be tuned for to be made safe, and secondly, running an atmospheric bov can damage your car as our cars are set up with a recirculator valve.

Perrin makes decent intakes. I have had perrin intakes on 2 of my prior wrx's. Only problem is that it WILL NOT work with the map from cobb's accessport. For your model wrx the only intakes that cobb supports is their own SF intake, and the AEM intake. There are separate maps available for either one of those from cobb. The SF intake map will already be preloaded on the accessport, the aem intake map can be downloaded via cobb's website. IF you were to go with the perrin intake you would have to shell out extra money for a protune or at least an etune to run it safely. And protuning with just an intake is a waste of money. If you wanted to get the perrin intake, get it and set it aside until you get more mods to add to it before protuning. For instance, if it were me I would get the perrin intake, turbo back exhaust, 3 port electronic boost control solenoid, injectors, and fuel pump at the minimum before paying for a protune. But if you are just wanting to go stage 1 with the accessport for now, one of the above mentioned intakes (cobb SF, or AEM) would have to be the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Hey guys its me again! What do you guys think of a perrin intake its for sale for close too 300$ and a friend of mine wants to sell it cheap?
The intake also requires a tune that runs another solid 500 for the tune. So for the 800ish investment there I wouldn't say you'll be getting much value for the gain. Your best bet in this situation would to be collect the parts you want then do it all at once.

Some common mods are intake, turbo back, tgv and air pump delete, top mount, and turbo inlet. This addresses common issues and should give you a healthy power bump. You'll want to start looking at upgrading your fuel system at this point as well as the intake, turbo back and top mount will have you at the limit of your stock fuel system.

With those mods depending on your local Dyno you should see anywhere between 300 and 350whp. For reference a stock 2011 on my local shops Dyno puts around 200 at the wheels and with that list and fueling puts down around 320whp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts