ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a new 2005 STI and have about 1300 miles on it. On Saturday I was out driving it giving it a good ride, but nothing that would be considered uncalled for giving that it's an STI.

Things seemed fine and didn't really notice any problems but five hours later I went out and the car started up fine, but the turbo didn't seem to be working properly.

The turbo boost gauge wasn't showing nearly enough boost in the lower gears at lower RPM's. When you jumped on the gas the turbo would fire up and shoot your forward with most of the power we were used too...

Also when you would let off of the gas you could hear a small and quiet 'whirr' of something spinning down. As soon as I would let off the gas the boost pressure would disappear.

Any idea of what happened to my engine/turbo?

I have an appointment to take it to the dealer, I'm assuming they will pay for it regardless.

Thanks,
Ohiofreebass

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe it is called lag in the lower rpm's and I also know that atleast the wrx does not boost as high in the lower rpm's as it does in the higher rpm's, I assume that it is the same with the sti, but i could be wrong. It may not feel as fast as it did your ealier drive b/c you are getting used to the power already and thats when the mod bug gets you. WHen you let off the gas and hear that whirr sound that is the turbo slowing down. Also when you let off the gas you do not hold boost, so that is why your boost gauge shows boost dropping.

·
Registered
606 Posts
kessler89 said:
you shouldn't be alowed to own a sti if you dont know what that whining noise is when you let off the gas:rolleyes:
Relax bro, did you ever think that this could maybe be the first forced-induction car he's ever owned?

ohiofreebass: What wssboard18 said is the basics of it. Turbochargers take a second to spool-up, and once they do that's when you get that kick in the pants. When your foot is on the accelerator that spools up the turbo causing the boost to build up...so you see the boost gauge go from negative (vaccum) up past 0 into boost. Once you let off the gas....the boost gauge slowly drops again because the turbocharger can not hold that boost without fuel, and that fuel comes from the gas pedal that you seem to have fun stepping on a lot :D Enjoy your new STI :wiggles:

·
Registered
498 Posts
i know i am... :cool:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
kessler89 said:
you shouldn't be alowed to own a sti if you dont know what that whining noise is when you let off the gas:rolleyes:
Well he put on 1300 miles on it and it just happen to him. Check all ur hoses. The dealer will fix it for u :wiggles:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts