Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good afternoon all! I'm in the long process of breaking in my new 2017 STI. I have just over 300 miles on it and it will take me quite some time to reach that 1000 mark. I've been really good at keeping it under 4000 rpms except for slightly over 4k once or twice. In the manual it states "do not race the engine". What exactly does that mean? heavily accelerating, punching it off the start? I've been fairly spirited with it but not aggressive by any means. I tend to overthink a lot of things and just want to make sure I'm okay. thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Stay out of high load situations essentially. Don't flat foot it and shift at 4k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flat foot it? I've been really good at staying either under 4k or right at 4k with the exception of maybe twice.

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Yeah wide open throttle. Basically drive the car like a sane person. Try not to maintain a dead consistent rpm to vary engine load. So avoid cruise control and on long highway trips go between 5th and 6th and various intervals.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you kindly for the helpful information! I feel I'm doing okay then. Now if I can just get used to the feel of the clutch in this thing. I'm sad to say that I've probably stalled it about 10 times since getting it on Monday. After driving the MINI for almost 7 years it seems more difficult to get the feel for something totally different!

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Just takes time. A new car and a new clutch can be bitey for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are the clutches in this cars? I know the MINI had very weak clutch components causing a lot of people to chew through them within 15-30k. I'm also going to roll the dice and say a lot of those people probably abused the clutch too. I never seemed to have any issues on mine at 48k on it before trading it in.

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
You can torch it, but they are pretty long lived with proper use and not launching. Mine is 95k and still holds strong at a stage 2 level.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
The drivetrain in the STI (including the clutch) is perhaps the most stout piece in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a hellcat and other srt8 and frs and never broke them in like the manual says only car I ever did break in was my first 392 challenger and had more issues from that car than any of the other car put together bout my sti the other day and just drive it how you drive check oil regularly and get first oil change around 1500 and you should be fine

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
I have had a hellcat and other srt8 and frs and never broke them in like the manual says only car I ever did break in was my first 392 challenger and had more issues from that car than any of the other car put together bout my sti the other day and just drive it how you drive check oil regularly and get first oil change around 1500 and you should be fine
Thanks. However, your personal experience is meaningless when conflicting with Subaru's recommendation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well I feel kind of dumb now. I didn't know you were supposed to properly "break in" a new engine a certain way :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
289 Posts
Break in your cars like you break in your ladies. Nice and smooth and carressing at first. Once you get through the new period, you can jump right in balls deep!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Gross

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Well I feel kind of dumb now. I didn't know you were supposed to properly "break in" a new engine a certain way :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When all the parts are brand new they are not mated to each other exactly. When you break an engine in you essentially wear the components together, to fast, or too hard of a break in can cause looseness or scoring that will effect the longevity of the engine. To what extent? You would have to do a long term analysis to say exactly, but as long as you are not flogging it relentlessly you should be reasonably alright for the long run.

When the engine is assembled there are sharp edges, burs, and other material from assembly that MAY be present in the engine. As the parts wear together these edges wear the oil collects it and rushes it away to the oil filter where its captured so its not recirculated through the system. The filter in your car should be more than capable of handling these debris and you can follow the scheduled maintenance or opt for an earlier oil and filter change to pull some of the contamination out. That I'm aware of manufacturers have moved away from break in oils and just fill the engine with the oil designated in the manual.

If you are really concerned about your break in companies like Blackstone Labs do oil analysis and can give you a better idea of the solids in the oil. They can also advise you as to how your oil is holding up, or if you have possible bearing or wear issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
If breaking in an engine is so crucial to the health of the car- why isn't it done in the factory to insure everything is seated properly and a uniform product? Thanks to Xjman and unseen you both really helped me understand this more.
Cost, time, and space.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts