Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being on the fence awhile I finally took the plunge--got a WRX in Ice Silver Metallic. I traded in my venerable 2011 BMW X3, which was very nice and functional, but starting to put on the miles, with the thought of potentially expensive maintenance and repair bills down the road. Plus, to be honest, I missed my prior WRX and especially the manual transmission.

I decided the Premium was the best bang for the buck, but with an upgraded stereo. I initially wanted either a DGM or Lapis Blue, but there were only ISM and White Pearl at the dealership. This particular car had just had an aftermarket stereo installation through a local high-end shop, with a 1000-watt JL system, using the existing head unit but bypassing the DSM.

There aren't too many other options included--no short shifter alas, but I could add that in the near future. I'm used to the regular shifter, not a big issue for me.

Anyway, it has all of 14 miles on it, so I'm looking forward to putting some more on it. The sound is AWESOME--the best stereo I've ever had in a car. More than I would have sprung for to be honest, but not much more than the HK upgrade, with a much better sound.

I doubt I will do too many performance upgrades--we'll see after it's broken in awhile.

· Premium Member
81 Posts
Sweet. That looks really sharp man. I originally had an ISM, which was my first choice. After that one was in an accident I couldn't find another base ISM for 1000 miles, so I went with DGM.

Seeing an ISM on the road now gets me all choked up :shakehead: haha

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet. That looks really sharp man. I originally had an ISM, which was my first choice. After that one was in an accident I couldn't find another base ISM for 1000 miles, so I went with DGM.

Seeing an ISM on the road now gets me all choked up :shakehead: haha
I had the same feeling about DGM--my 2012 was DGM. I still think it's a classy color, but I am warming up to the silver. Around here there are quite a few ISM's and White Pearls for sale, not so many of the other colors.

As far as the stickers--I had one kid at U of MN, 2 at U of WI. Kind of a badger/gopher rodenty thing going on...

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had the car 4 days, driven 200 miles. First impressions:

It actually took awhile to get back into the feel of the manual and the characteristics of this car. I sure missed a good manual, though. I used to pretend shift all the time with my X3, though it's not the same...

Now I enjoy it a lot. It seems Subaru has smoothed out the shift points from the prior model years. The 6th gear is quite nice for highway driving--quite a bit quieter, lower RPM's.

It handles as I remember it--spirited, likes to be pushed around a bit. What I like about this car, and what I think Subaru was shooting for, was a car that could be driven quietly going to drop the kids off at school, or driving through the hospital parking lot, but on curvy roads and the like would respond to being driven aggressively.

I personally am fine with the acceleration and exhaust sound--I'm a little old for much hoonery and don't need any more speeding tickets, thank you.

I'm liking the interior--nicer than prior models but rather basic. Still, that's OK. The seats provide much more side support than I'm used to--it was said the BMW was designed for Teutonic frames, Japanese cars for slimmer people. This one fits OK, great support for cornering.

I hate to brag again about the stereo, but it's pretty awesome. A good system makes everything sound better, even Sirius and streaming stuff.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the feeling of ACTIVE driving, as opposed to just cruising along.

· Registered
12 Posts
I can relate. Coming from a long lineage of VW's, some turbo, some not, the WRX is my first true dabbling in th performance foray. 268 hp is all I need. At 43, I'm supposed to be setting a good example in regard to driving habits for my two teenage drivers, right? :)

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
Congrats to both of you on your purchases!
I should probably dial back my "spirited driving" another step or two for my teens, but frankly, they'd know that I was doing it. They spent their entire childhood being thrown around the back of one WRX or another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.