ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i recently bought a 2002 wrx wagon and i just got a cel , 2 hours after purchase with no warranty , here are the codes po301,po302,po303,po304 , with are misfires all 4 cyln, and i also have a code po244 with it said wastegate sel A range performance, i only know whats on the vehicle by looks , it has a full cobb exhaust and a racing downpipe the one right off the turbo , and it has a hallman pro mbc, and a mishimoto rad. now i do get alot of rough idle but seems to clear up alittle but has soom serious falling off and sputter while boosting , i do not know where the mbc is set due to no boost gauge. what should i do first , to try to eliminate the problems , could the mbc be set to high causing all these codes or plugs ? please help, thanks

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'd get a compression test on all cylinders to make sure the block isn't effed up. Then go from there...do you know if it's tuned???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no idea if its tuned no paperwork on it , it seriously runs strong but kinda strange all codes at once ?? i just tried turning the the boost down on the mbc and it seemed to help , just not sure how much to turn it down no boost gauge to check it uggg, gonna change the plugs in a few mins please post any other suggestions , as for a compression test i am short on cash to do it now

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
The wastegate code is for sure overboosting. You MUST remove the MBC or get a tune that utilizes it properly. Even without the MBC you have to make wure you are running a map that supports your other mods (stage II, intake must match, etc.). Most people willing to plunk down the cash for a full Cobb exhaust are running an AP, however an MBC requires a custom map not an OTS Cobb stage II map. It is a good chance that the AP was unmarried and sold, in which case you are on a stock map which not acceptable with your mods. - otherwise your ECU is locked out if you don't have the AP that was installed! This possibility, along with the fact that they dropped the V1 and nearly left me with a $600 paperweight, is why I no longer support them.

I would recommend a tactrix cable so you can see how the car is tuned, but it won't work if they locked you out and I think you have to send them your ECU to sort it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what if i disconnect the mbc and us e the stock one that is still plugged in but just rerun the vac lines and try a ecu reset will that get me threw until i get duckets? and where can i find a taxtrx cable and does it come with software

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
The software is free - opensource.

Actually they have a new ultra cheap version of the cable out that is advertised to work on the old models (like ours). I would search for some reviews, and if it isn't clearly going to work then get the real tactrix cable. You don't really need the new 2.0 canbus version but it isn't much more than a 1.3u anyway and causes the least issues.

You will at least be able to log, and if you're lucky and it isn't locked out you will be able to access the map. I would remove the MBC, get the cable, try to read the map, run learning view, and log the car. If you can read the map, post it, otherwise post the learning view and the logs (upload to google docs as a spreadsheet). It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and you shouldn't drive the car hard at all until you do ALL of these things.

Not sure about this one, you might have to use an old version of ECU flash or muddle around so research it first:
BFM Subaru Impreza WRX STI Legacy Tactrix 1.3 OBD2 Flash Cable ECU Tuner CHIP | eBay

This is GTG (you need the '02 reflash connector for later):
Tactrix Openport 2.0

They also have ECU service now I see - if you are locked out contact them and see if they can fix it:
ECU Flash Recovery

Time to read up - it is your only hope when getting a previously modified car to sort out.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134322320-opensource-tuning-your-questions-answered-here-romraider-tactrix.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok heres the updated the plugs are fairly new no marks of carbon or foul oder of fuel they are ngk irid. so now im gonna move to the mbc and re run the factory one and reset computer any tips on what i else i should check before turn key????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The software is free - opensource.

Actually they have a new ultra cheap version of the cable out that is advertised to work on the old models (like ours). I would search for some reviews, and if it isn't clearly going to work then get the real tactrix cable. You don't really need the new 2.0 canbus version but it isn't much more than a 1.3u anyway and causes the least issues.

You will at least be able to log, and if you're lucky and it isn't locked out you will be able to access the map. I would remove the MBC, get the cable, try to read the map, run learning view, and log the car. If you can read the map, post it, otherwise post the learning view and the logs (upload to google docs as a spreadsheet). It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and you shouldn't drive the car hard at all until you do ALL of these things.

Not sure about this one, you might have to use an old version of ECU flash or muddle around so research it first:
BFM Subaru Impreza WRX STI Legacy Tactrix 1.3 OBD2 Flash Cable ECU Tuner CHIP | eBay

This is GTG (you need the '02 reflash connector for later):
Tactrix Openport 2.0

They also have ECU service now I see - if you are locked out contact them and see if they can fix it:
ECU Flash Recovery

Time to read up - it is your only hope when getting a previously modified car to sort out.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134322320-opensource-tuning-your-questions-answered-here-romraider-tactrix.html

thanks for all the info ,, sorry i just read it after previous message , will update after mbc disconnect

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok update on plugs and mbc disconnect , ran perfect for about 2 miles i got onto the highway and got into it alittle and surprise surprise a big cut out in higher rpm and cel light came back on drove it right to advanced for a code and it cam back wastegate seloniod po244 but no more misfires. so now what ??

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
You are still overboosting. The stock boost control system needs to be all put back together correctly with stock diameter tubing, restrictor pill, & T. and you need a standard stage II map (which can be had for free).

You still need to find out what map is on there and fix it or get a map that is correct, so you still need to do what I said above. You just have to know and it is really the only place to start. If it is a map that is actually designed to run the MBC then I think the boost control mapping will be unsuitable for the stock boost control system and lead to the continued overboosting. If we can ascertain whether it is a good map for an MBC you can put it back on and set it correctly from the logs. IMO a boost gauge is required for that setup though.

07_Subaru_ServiceBulletin_2.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I doubt the car is tuned. FYI-Don't buy a modded car unless you know what your getting into;). The problem is the TBE and no tune in the colder weather. Also that BFM cable does not reflash 02-03 WRX's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
getting frustrated,, cel light was out after went and bought all the factory vac lines and the little restrictor etc, etc boost feels alot better more controled state even when its all full boost nice and smooth , stepped on the gas after reseting the computer again and the f'in light came back on dont know code yet till later ,, DOES ANYONE WANA BUY A WRX WAGON ,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt the car is tuned. FYI-Don't buy a modded car unless you know what your getting into;). The problem is the TBE and no tune in the colder weather. Also that BFM cable does not reflash 02-03 WRX's.
what do you suggest , get a tune for tbe , i guess what is getting me is i did all the same basic mods to my 04 wrx and never threw any codes why this car,

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
what do you suggest , get a tune for tbe , i guess what is getting me is i did all the same basic mods to my 04 wrx and never threw any codes why this car,
But did you get a tune (or at least a stage 2 map?) on your 04?

Something is up with it overboosting...comes down to something in the boost system whether it's the MBC being incorrectly set, not having the stock BCS, missing a restrictor pill, COLD WEATHER, not tuned, wastegate actuator stuck?, etc...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But did you get a tune (or at least a stage 2 map?) on your 04?

Something is up with it overboosting...comes down to something in the boost system whether it's the MBC being incorrectly set, not having the stock BCS, missing a restrictor pill, COLD WEATHER, not tuned, wastegate actuator stuck?, etc...
hey mike,
as far as the 04 no never tuned it and it was all turbo xs stuff , not like it really matters but no mapping and no codes,,,

now here is what i did today , first off i started out with a cel code po244 , then i went to subie dealer and bought all new vac lines restrictor pill and reset the computer again ,
big change in the car smoother and better turbo response no sputtering at higher rpms. although i got a cel light again so i just took it up to advanced to read the code again and now the po244 is not there but my #2 and #4 cly are misfiring ... so now what should i do , i already checked the plugs and they look to be new and not carboned or fueled up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could a tune stop all this madness of codes... and if so does anyone live around allentown , pa that can help me out with a map or a once over looksy , i dont mind buyin lunch or whatever it takes , i needs this car ready for 2 hour commutes to work starting monday .

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Dude, I told you exactly what you need to do. The answer hasn't changed. We all knew you would get frustrated and run into additional problems, that is why I put it in all caps. You have to do ALL of those things now - don't keep driving hard and expecting it to work. It is easy enough to work through compared to having to figure it out on your own. It is much easier than selling a car or blowing it up. You need a cable and you need to fix your map. We can help.

No guarantees on the misfire though - that is another issue if it still exists after your car is tuned properly.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
hey mike, as far as the 04 no never tuned it and it was all turbo xs stuff , not like it really matters but no mapping and no codes,,, .
Did you buy your 04 like that or did you put the mods on? It would be impossible not to get at least the P0420 code with a full TBE unless the car was tuned or a mechanical CEL fix was used. Very bad idea to run those mods on an 04 and no EM due to the closed loop/open loop fuel delay. Lots of popped motors due to this. Top of the page is a sticky of possible causes and solutions for misfires.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Get it tuned or put all stock parts back on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys i have a question can i use a Turbo XS delta utec to tune this properly i have access to one . and an anyone help me with the data log if i do so, thanks for all the help guys .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts