Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prodrive ECU discontinued?

I sent an inquiry to Total Subaru Performance yesterday about the Prodrive ECU. I just received a reply from them stating that it has been discontinued. Does anyone know about this?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Talk on the i-club <gasp> was that it was pulled because it wasn't really tuned to run on the gas that we have here in the U.S. and thus wasn't 100% "safe" to run... I think there are some threads on it there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hate that excuse about US gas. Almost every country except the US rates gas octane one way and in the US we use the average RON + MON.

When all is said and done, US gas is about the best in the world (excluding CA :)

Carlo

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My prodrive ECU has been flawless. I takes whatever mods I throw at it and just learns them. In two weeks I'm adding a modified Stromung downer and Samco hoses and a FP modified turbo. I have a Godspeed upper and expect 3oo HP. Without fuel. When the dyno is done, I'll post the results. I bought the Prodrive because it was recommended by one of the top US rally teams. That's the same reason I keep the exhaust at 2.5". HP is nothing. Torque rules.

russ

·
Registered
932 Posts
My interest in the Prodrive ECU was piqued when I heard about Weasel555's dyno run at Pruven Performance. With a VF-22 at only 10 psi, up pipe, turbo back, etc, etc, he had better numbers, especially in peak torque than people running TurboXS Stage 4 set ups! I know Weasel555 personally, and he's told me he hasn't had a problem with his car at all.

If it's like Russ says -- no additional tuning necessary for additional mods -- then it's certainly less of a hassle than a Unichip, which has to be reflashed or dynotuned with every new mod for best performance.

By the way, I think the UK has lower octane gas than we do here in the States. That's why their UK-spec WRX has lower output ratings.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Here's some infor for the unfamiliar:

Extracted from http://www.autofinder.ie/news_art.htm?a=296 :

Prodrive who prepare and run the Subaru World Rally Team (WRC) were the natural choice to develop and manufacture such an upgrade. The Performance Pack consists of a Prodrive “Back Box” or sports silencer, uprated free flow intercooler piping and most importantly a highly sophisticated replacement Electronic Control Unit (ECU). The Prodrive ECU is a serious piece of kit and the fact that it contains twice as many electronic chips as the standard Subaru ECU gives you some idea of its increased complexity. The entire Prodrive Performance Pack or PPP as it is known, increases BHP from 215 to 245 with a corresponding increase in torque form 215 to 255 ib/ft. To put these figures into context, the soon to be launched ultra high performance Subaru Impreza WRX STI puts out 262 BHP and 253 ib/ft. From this you can see that the PPP gives the standard WRX even more midrange grunt than the STI.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, at least now I'm a little more familiar with it. The reason I was considering it was the same reason as mentioned above about the Unichip. I don't want to have to send it to a vendor for reflashing every time I add a mod. And in regards to the link, it seems to complicated to tune, seems like some people aren't happy with the results they're getting from it. I was looking for a more hassle-free alternative.

Russ, thanks for the PM, I'll keep you in mind. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where else may we get this if it isn't discontinued?

Is total performance the only place it could be had? With the power of the internet, i find it hard to believe they cannot be found somewhere else. Why not just import one from UK or something?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good question AE2RSM, I have searched high and low on the internet for information on it and have come up with nothing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks that way Russ! It might be because it doesn't seems as readily available as the other alternatives. I don't see any vendors other than the one or two prevously mentioned that carry them. I'm curious as to why TSP told me that they were discontinued because you seem to have gotten a totally different answer than I did.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts