ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am a new to the WRX scene and I was just had a couple questions. I just changed my spark plugs and fuel filter and it seems slower now on low end and high end. I am not sure if it has to do with adaptive learning because I did disconnect my battery while I was doing this. Do these cars have a learning cycle? If so, how long is it? Does that have something to do with my power loss? It's not huge but I can tell the difference. Car seems to be running smoother, but slower. I don't get it. I am using NGK Platinums (BKR6EGP) gapped to .029. What do you guys think?

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
I am using NGK Platinums (BKR6EGP) gapped to .029. What do you guys think?
I think you should slap in some NGK PFR6G (pre gapped to .03). That is the recommended spark plug directly from the Subaru Periodic Maintenence guide. I had no problems after replacing them in my car twice. Once @ 30K, then @ 60K. Let me know how those work out for you.

As far as the fuel filter goes, I'm assuming you put it in the right way so I doubt that it's the culprit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang! I had a feeling the place that sold me the plugs were wrong. He said that the PFR6G crosses over as the BKR6EGP. Clearly after a 15 minute search on the web, I found that the BKR6EGP works on the WRX (G-Power platinum) but it's not the premium one PFR6G (Laser Platinum). I will try finding some PFR6G's and I will let you know if that solves my problem.

Thanks,

SW

·
2,770 Posts
Good luck with the search. I had to order mine (NY) but you might be able to get them the same day since you're in Cali.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Yes there is a learning curve if your ECU actually reset. Usually you have to push the brakes or something while the battery cable is off unless it was a long time. AIM will reset to 8 I think and it can go up to 16 if all is well. Search for Vishnu trick or third gear trick if you want to jack it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vishnu

Ok, I am going to try the Vishnu trick, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I will get out to an open road without boosting, put it in 3rd gear, hold the RPM's to 2600 while braking for 5 seconds, then floor it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: The 3rd gear IAM trick worked. I got my power back.

Do you guys still think I should change the plugs to PFR6G? Would it really make a difference? Does anyone know what the difference is between the Laser platinum and G-Power platinum other than the platinum being lasered on the plug?

·
2,770 Posts
Yes, I would say go with what Subaru recommends. I have had no problems using these plugs.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
on a stock car, plugs dont make a huge difference. The more involved your modifications, the more carefully plug choice should be looked at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts