ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to get it re-tuned this evening and found out that the previous owner had a crazy tune set up on it. I now need to get a few more components so that I can finish out the tune properly. The stock restrictor pill is missing, should I replace it or get a 3-port? I need to replace the crappy Injen CAI, any suggestions? I need to get a wideband, what's the best one for the money? Car is 06 WRX w/ HKS TBE, HKS BOV. Any suggestions will be helpful thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
A 3-port EBC will give you more control over boost levels. You could replace the CAI with a used stock airbox.

What do you need a wideband O2 gauge for?

Also, you might consider replacing your HKS SSQV with a stock recirculating valve.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd ditch the BOV and get the restrictor pill, then get the appropriate tune, and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Get rid of HKS Bov, go back to stock. 3 port EBCS such as the grimmspeed one is a good choice. However you should discuss this w/your tuner and do what he recommends.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on getting rid of the BOV, just have to find a stock replacement. Same with the air intake. Only problem is finding stock parts to use. My tuner is up for the restrictor pill or the 3 port and says either would do fine. He was the one who suggested the wideband, says it would give better control for afr.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A wideband does not give you better control of AFR. Rather, it allows you to monitor the AFR. IMHO a more important gauge to have is an oil pressure gauge. B/c if oil presssure gets too low you can grenaide your engine. However, I do like the AEM Uego to monitor AFR.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you're going to tune, you need a wbo2. If your tuner asks that you get one, it'll help him out quite a bit to get one.

Drop the BOV, drop the intake - there are tons of folks who will buy them and forgo the tune - in other words, idiots, from whom you can also source stock parts. You can count on a good price too.

Other than stock intake, COBB and SPT have good intakes for our cars... and that's about it.

As for boost control, go with a grimmspeed if you can. It'll safely (read: with more control) net you some higher boost. Since your tuner like it, and you have the option, do it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
poly_poly-man said:
Other than stock intake, COBB and SPT have good intakes for our cars... and that's about it.
teflon_jones said:
You're forgetting AEM. ;)
K&N / APS 65mm / AEM CAI (short ram doesn't have a heat shield)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If the tuner doesn't already have his own wideband O2 that he uses to work on customer's cars, then you need to get another tuner..
...maybe he doesn't feel like installing and uninstalling it all the time :p

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
K&N / APS 65mm / AEM CAI (short ram doesn't have a heat shield)
I'm too lazy to search the net at this moment, but in the current Subarus, the AEM intakes go to the fenderwell location and are true CAIs and Subaru SPTs are made by AEM from what I've read. Is it different on an '06?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
I'm too lazy to search the net at this moment, but in the current Subarus, the AEM intakes go to the fenderwell location and are true CAIs and Subaru SPTs are made by AEM from what I've read. Is it different on an '06?
I've only seen CAIs from AEM on newer models.

On an '06, the AEM SRI is a 90° bend design (without a heat shield); they also have a CAI which goes into the fender.

poly_poly-man said:
...maybe he doesn't feel like installing and uninstalling it all the time :p
Typically, they have a clamp that goes on the tailpipe, so it takes them two minutes tops to install/remove

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure y my tuner doesn't have a wideband of his own; maybe the people who come to him for tunes have all had them installed on their cars, I'm not sure

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
tailpipe? that's a terrible place for a wb02 - especially if you're still catted, you've got a ton of lag between a certain ignition event and when those particular gasses get to the sensor...

...maybe this tuner holds himself to higher standards of combustion gas measurement.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would find a different tuner. Any tuner worth his ass would have Wb02. If you don't know a good one then I would check the regional section of your area on NASIOC boards and see if someone has a recommendation of a good tuner for your area.

However, if you are in South Florida (which I doubt) I know an excellent tuner. You really do not want to go to just any tuner/shop, you need someone that is experienced in tuning Subarus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts