Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My family has had Subarus forever. Learned to drive and take my test on a 1982 canary yellow, 4 door wagon with a manual transmission. They still have a Crosstrek and Outback.

This my first. Went in for a Crosstrek and came out with this little beauty.

It is a '22 Premium, 6sp manual, with short shift, STI knob, and auto dim mirrors.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,640 Posts
Welcome aboard, and nice-looking car! Write up your driving impressions when you get a chance.
I know what you mean about a family that's into Subaru's..We're down to one, my daughter's 2007 Outback, but prior to that, I've owned 2 different 2002 WRX's, a Legacy wagon, and a 2013 BRZ.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mentioned this in another post, but here are my impressions:

1. There is a lot of potential to this motor. Seems to be tuned very conservatively.
2. Redline 6k is a joke. It could easily go to 7k or 7.5k. It's pulling really hard up to 6k and then cuts off.
3. Boost is only 12psi. Would love to see a tuner that allows increased boost and redline. Because it's a new model, just not out yet. But I'm sure it's in the works. At 15 or 17psi and higher redline, it should easily make 350 reliable hp.
4. Handling seems very flat and controlled. Haven't been on the track yet so not pushing it.
5. Ride is a bit stiff, but I came from a truck, so it's smooth to me.
6. Love the 6 sp manual. It's a bit notchy (not as smooth as a Miata), but better than older Subarus.
7. Not so sure about the infotainment system. I'm used to old-school radios and paper maps, and not the touch screen. For me, it's really busy, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Hope this helps.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,640 Posts
Thanks! I do now remember that you had another thread about redline, but had forgotten about it.
It will be interesting to see what tuners do with the new-gen WRX. I know that there are some emissions regs that are getting tighter, and are affecting what they can do. I'm starting to appreciate that I tuned my WRX's (2002 models) during the "wild west" era, lol.

I mentioned this in another post, but here are my impressions:

1. There is a lot of potential to this motor. Seems to be tuned very conservatively.
2. Redline 6k is a joke. It could easily go to 7k or 7.5k. It's pulling really hard up to 6k and then cuts off.
3. Boost is only 12psi. Would love to see a tuner that allows increased boost and redline. Because it's a new model, just not out yet. But I'm sure it's in the works. At 15 or 17psi and higher redline, it should easily make 350 reliable hp.
4. Handling seems very flat and controlled. Haven't been on the track yet so not pushing it.
5. Ride is a bit stiff, but I came from a truck, so it's smooth to me.
6. Love the 6 sp manual. It's a bit notchy (not as smooth as a Miata), but better than older Subarus.
7. Not so sure about the infotainment system. I'm used to old-school radios and paper maps, and not the touch screen. For me, it's really busy, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that there are some emissions regs that are getting tighter and are affecting what they can do.
Hadn't heard about the emission regs, but if that's the case, it would make sense why it has been so detuned.

6k comes very fast, and as I mentioned before it's still pulling really hard at 6k. It's a bit jarring because it hits the power band and all of a sudden, everything cuts off. If I could increase redline just a little (maybe 6.5k or 7k), I think it would make a big performance difference. Stock,1st gear goes to right around 30mph, and 2nd just below 60. 7k rpm would probably allow 1st to 35ish mph, and 2nd gear close to 70. Would make the gearing more useable on the track too.

·
In Æternum
16,890 Posts
These are some pretty concrete proclamations with no supporting data.

How can you possibly proclaim that it can make "350 reliable horsepower?" What data have you collected to support this claim?

I would assume that the Ascent does not have precisely the same motor, but that engine has been tuned for low-end torque with a torque roll-off at about 5500rpm. Smaller and higher-velocity ports promote better low-speed mixing for improved fuel economy and emissions but at the expense of rev limit. Longer stroke motors can be optimized for extracting as much energy from an air-fuel mixture as possible while reducing unwanted NOx emissions, again... at the expense of rev limit. Finally, more substantial bearings are needed for high rev-limit engines with oil pressure profiles that increase drag on the rotating assembly, an affront to fuel economy. These changes make a lot of sense for an ecologically-focused Subaru that hasn't truly competed in motorsports in many years.

Would any of this be any different at 7000 RPM as opposed to 6000 RPM? Probably not. So here is the real reason that I think Subaru has focused on this motor for this generation: the impending EV switch. This is the last platform that Subaru intends to develop before it switches entirely over to EV. That means this platform has to last another 8-10 years in the face of increasing fuel costs and greater emissions pressure. In addition, the very-flat torque curve that the FA24 produces in the Ascent will presumably be more similar to the EV torque curve making the switchover more familiar when it does occur.

Atmosphere Slope Rectangle Organism Font

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are some pretty concrete proclamations with no supporting data.

How can you possibly proclaim that it can make "350 reliable horsepower?" What data have you collected to support this claim?
You are right. I was basing my comments on experience with older, NA motor hp gains I have seen with some off the shelf mods such as free flowing exhausts, larger throttle bodies, intakes, etc. I guess I thought bumping the boost would make more of a difference. And yes, I realize if you bump the boost, you will need to figure out a way to get more air and fuel to the motor too. But the motor really does seem to have a lot of potential. It pulls very hard up to redline even if charts show power drops at 5k to 5.5k. I just don't feel it and it comes quickly.

Will be signing up for some HPDE events to see what it can really do on the track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts