Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife and step daughter to dinner last night. It was their first ride in the WRX. I had about 150 mi. on the car. Coming home, I entered the driveway, downshifted and stalled the car. -5 man points. Started and stalled two more times, got pissed, gunned it and got it up the last 15 feet. The smell of clutch was in the air as we walked to the door. I wanted to throw up. I've been driving stick since 1987, for F sake!!!

I went to bed feeling useless.

This evening, my gal wasn't feeling well,and she was craving McD, so I headed out to grab some empty calories.

Stalled it THREE MORE TIMES trying to get up the hill just off our driveway. I sat there smelling my clutch again and pondering the merits of the CVT. It was then I realized that I was trying to launch the car in 3rd gear!!!

What an idiot. At least I know what I was doing wrong. Hope I mesh with the car soon. And that I don't need a new clutch at 10,000 mi.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I may do that. But it seems like a helpful feature. Even more importantly, having that light on constantly is gonna mess with my OCD. Gah!
Yeah it can be. I drove without it for so long when I got vehicles with it I stalled all the time.

The clutch in these cars has some notoriety for being difficult. You'll get it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
16,151 Posts
You stalled, so what?

I've been driving standard for 17 years and I stall all the time in my STI.

A couple factors here -- the Hill Assist has a learning curve. It was responsible for a lot of frustration initially, but eventually I got used to the feature. Additionally, the new models have a lot of caster angle with big tires and scrub radius. When I'm pulling out at full steering lock, this takes a lot of torque to get the car moving and I'll stall frequently in this situation.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Yeah, no biggie. Certainly not a reason to go CVT...that's just crazy talk.

I learned manual driving a buddy's Fiat 131 wagon around in..wow, about mid to late 1982, I guess, so that's 35 years. I still have screwed-up driving days, once in a while. :)

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
New car takes some getting used to. Just don't stall out in front of all your friends at a car meet; that one takes a while to live down...

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Started and stalled two more times, got pissed, gunned it and got it up the last 15 feet. I've been driving stick since 1987, for F sake!!!

What an idiot. At least I know what I was doing wrong. Hope I mesh with the car soon. And that I don't need a new clutch at 10,000 mi.:rolleyes:
You are OK, your WRX is OK. I'm also a driver of stick only since 1987 (1986 really). You will not need a new clutch. Beat the snot out of mine during a few years of avid autocross. Clutch is still happy. What is this CVT you type of?

Turn off hill assist.
Yep.

Everyone stalls
Yep.

You are not supposed to tell others when you do things like this..............
Sure you are. No one is perfect.

You stalled, so what?

I've been driving standard for 17 years and I stall all the time in my STI.
Many here are imperfect. Just enjoy the WRX. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I drive barefoot so often that when winter rolls around and I'm wearing boots all the time I look like I've never driven a manual transmission a day in my life.

It is what it is. I wouldn't let it bother you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
XJman said:
I'm wearing boots all the time I look like I've never driven a manual transmission a day in my life.
My boots make it a bit difficult to drive. I usually will change out of my boots to drive (and into when I'm done) if I can, but sometimes I'm not able to. Haven't ever stalled while driving with boots, but the shifts are certainly not smooth like with normal shoes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wish the gear indicator in the WRX worked like the one on my motorcycle works; lets you know what gear you're in all the time.
I'm a bit confused . . . my 2015 shows this. Does your car not have this feature or am I thinking of something differently? On my car I need to toggle the switch near the steering wheel on the 2015+ -- I think there are three display options . . . one of which being the gear indicator.

·
Registered
561 Posts
As mentioned this can be a tricky car when it comes to the manual . . . I've been driving manuals since college in the late 1980s/early 1990s and I had to relearn some of my shifting techniques due to the uniqueness of Subaru's clutch and transmission.

I never found the hill holder to be much of an issue as much as I did the stiff clutch (stalled several times due to that issue) and how close the gears were to each other (even now I occasionally "miss" a gear by skipping a gear accidentally, but the more you drive the better you will be.)

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I'm a bit confused . . . my 2015 shows this. Does your car not have this feature or am I thinking of something differently? On my car I need to toggle the switch near the steering wheel on the 2015+ -- I think there are three display options . . . one of which being the gear indicator.
I think he means like when you are stopped and put the car in gear -- it won't display anything until you begin to move.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts