Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to this site and recently bought a 14 WRX.

Wondering if there's any validity to articles I've found on WRX's blowing up frequently, and tips and tricks. Planning to turn it into a street racer. Also if you know of any great tuners in the Minneapolis/St Paul area

Have VW '13 Jetta SEL, VW '19 Jetta GLI, Ford '19 F250, Subaru '14 WRX and an Audi A8. (I work for a scrap dealer so most of these are totalled when I get, and rebuilt)

·
Æternum
15,961 Posts
Planning to turn it into a street racer.
You should be advised that these forums have rules expressly forbidding the discussion of illegal street activities including street racing. Any violation of these rules will be dealt with accordingly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey man im a new wrx owner to i have a 2012 sti and the major thing i have heard is head gaskets blowing, what i been told and have read is usually between 70-100k miles or if the car is frequently driven hard before it is warm. also "heard" that its not to hard/expensive of a fix but im guessing ill find that one out on my own? oh and clutch and 90-100k miles but that is kinda normal.

·
Æternum
15,961 Posts
hey man im a new wrx owner to i have a 2012 sti and the major thing i have heard is head gaskets blowing, what i been told and have read is usually between 70-100k miles or if the car is frequently driven hard before it is warm. also "heard" that its not to hard/expensive of a fix but im guessing ill find that one out on my own oh and clutch and 90-100k miles but that is kinda normal.
Head gaskets have never been a problem with turbo Subarus.

That's a relic of the old Phase II 2.5L and people not know what they are talking about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering if there's any validity to articles I've found on WRX's blowing up frequently, and tips and tricks.
Oh yes it's a valid concern, but understand why it's a valid concern. One, people hammer on these cars, it's normal for them to (often) be driven hard. Then people mod them up and drive them harder, without getting the car properly tuned. If you add ANY mods which affect air/fuel going in or out, you likely need an updated tune. Going fast (reliably) isn't cheap. You need to check your oil frequently, much more so than other cars. I believe Subaru recommendation is every other fuel fill up. If you let the car run low on oil, it can be catastrophic for your engine and turbo, usually both, and that's when people wonder why their engine blew up. These cars require special attention to maintenance, so as long as you keep up on that, it should treat you well for a long time.

Regarding street racing, I'll just be blunt and say that's stupid. Take it to a track. Racing on the street is dangerous for you, your car, and everyone else on the road. Drive safe.

·
Æternum
15,961 Posts
Welcome. You'll fit in here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts