ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I came across a subie for sale with no engine that was pretty cheap. I am kind of hesitant to buy a used engine though, so if I were to buy it does anyone make crate engines for WRX's?

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club!

I have not heard of any - it would be insane expensive if they did. With a careful search around you area and the Internet you will likely find a healthy engine for your Subie. What year and model are you looking to drop an engine into?

You could buy a shortblock, heads and the rest of the needed parts for a DIY.

·
Registered
0 Posts
hello and welcome to the club

·
Registered
9 Posts
you could def. get a hold of complete motors for decent prices or piece together the major parts yourself. A brand new EJ257 shortblock is $1800. You should search out the JDM import vendors that sell complete longblocks off of rolled/otherwise damaged JDm wrx/sti. You can try JDMSpecC they are a vendor on NASIOC and very reputable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys! I'll do some looking around at those engines and decide if I wanna buy the shell or not. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wow, thats $400 more then what I paid for my new EJ257 shortie.

Whoah where would I get that $1400 shortblock from? The impreza is a 97 and it had an EJ20 swap but the engine blew so the guy just pulled the engine. I imagine I could just drop an EJ257 in? (Assuming I buy a head as well.) The heads are relatively cheap from my searching. Ahh I would need a turbo too huh...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I found an EJ257 longblock missing "injectors and tgv's motors" for 1800 and it's only supposed to have 20k miles on it. What would i need to do to make sure the engine was in perfect shape like the ad says? It almost seems too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Compression check. That is about all you really can do besides pulling the pan and the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Whoah where would I get that $1400 shortblock from? The impreza is a 97 and it had an EJ20 swap but the engine blew so the guy just pulled the engine. I imagine I could just drop an EJ257 in? (Assuming I buy a head as well.) The heads are relatively cheap from my searching. Ahh I would need a turbo too huh...
Heads aren't too cheap.. Im hoping you were looking for the LEFT and the RIGHT cylinder heads since Subaru's have 2 cylinder heads. Also they are a 4 cam motor..

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
BTW you can go down to your local Subaru dealer and purchase the EJ257 shortblock for about 1800. You can should be able to easily talk them into taking 20-25% off that too. Gasket Sets through Subaru aren't too bad priced either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW you can go down to your local Subaru dealer and purchase the EJ257 shortblock for about 1800. You can should be able to easily talk them into taking 20-25% off that too. Gasket Sets through Subaru aren't too bad priced either.
Thanks a lot for all of your help. So if I were to buy a shortblock from the dealership what else would I need to purchase to be able to have a driveable car?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of your help. So if I were to buy a shortblock from the dealership what else would I need to purchase to be able to have a driveable car?
This is what i did when i had my shortie swap.

STI short block
Machine heads
ARP Head studs
PE Timing belt
New Thermostat
NGK Iridium plugs
Gaskets overhaul kit

AP 2.0
oilpump
Waterpump

Most of it was suggested by my tuner that did the swap.

You will need engine management and a custom tune if you go with your 2.0 heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is what i did when i had my shortie swap.

STI short block
Machine heads
ARP Head studs
PE Timing belt
New Thermostat
NGK Iridium plugs
Gaskets overhaul kit

AP 2.0
oilpump
Waterpump

Most of it was suggested by my tuner that did the swap.

You will need engine management and a custom tune if you go with your 2.0 heads.
How much did all of that end up costing you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
about $5000 including my, clutch disk, uppipe, downpipe and exhaust and instillation. Actually i just paid instillation for the shortblock and they installed the uppipe and TBE for free.

Gotta pay to play! :thumbup:
Ouch ha. I found a 0 miles wrx shortblock I think I'm going to buy since it's so much cheaper and I know exactly what I'm getting, plus my funds are kind of limited.

One last question haha, how much many lbs of boost from a standard size TD05 16g is a stock wrx shortblock able to handle? I have a friend who bought an 18g and said he would give me his 16 for 200 bucks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ouch ha. I found a 0 miles wrx shortblock I think I'm going to buy since it's so much cheaper and I know exactly what I'm getting, plus my funds are kind of limited.

One last question haha, how much many lbs of boost from a standard size TD05 16g is a stock wrx shortblock able to handle? I have a friend who bought an 18g and said he would give me his 16 for 200 bucks.
Not to sure about the td05 16g. I've seen people running 20+psi in their 2.0L. but i would research it. when you do upgrade your turbo your gonna need supporting mods too, like upgraded injectors, full pump, top mount intercooler, etc.

With a 2.5L shorty you'll be able to use bigger turbos and push more boost with it.:thumbup:

But before you upgrade your turbo i suggest getting the car to stage 2 if it is not already there. and remember, the best mod you can ever do to your car is Engine Management, as you will need to get the car tuned for whatever power mods you decide to throw in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts