Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Just joined here as I'm currently shopping for a WRX Hatchback ('08-'14 model years). I'm currently debating between getting a WRX or going with the STI, and I could use some help deciding. Here is some more specific info on my goals for the car.

• Be a good weekend car, I already have a good daily, and I want this car to be my side project to go out with friends in and take to car shows, with the occasional trip to SCCA Rallycross events, and potentially track days.
  • Be a car that I can learn to do basic modifications and advanced maintenance on. I'm not completely unskilled when it comes to maintaining cars, I can change tires, oil changes, and the like, but I want to learn how to modify a car to be what I really want it to be.
  • Have good options for parts. The main mods I'd like to do are, new head lights, tail lights, nameless exhaust, cold air intake, lift and rally suspension, among other things. I've been windowshopping for headlights and I see a lot of parts that say they are incompatible with the STI, but work on the WRX. Not sure if this is a common trend for the STI, but new headlights is one of the main things I want to do.
So I'd like your thoughts on which to go for. The WRX is much cheaper than the STI, and from what I've seen, has more options for modifications (If I'm totally off-base about this, please correct me). This car is going to be a lot of firsts for me, so I'd appreciate any advice you have on the topic. I've always been a Subaru fan and have followed the Rally and Rallycross programs in the US for several years now. I was at St. Louis when we won both days of the double header, it was insane.

Look forward to hearing from you and getting to know you guys! Thanks in advance.

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
WRX = Street car for the track
STI = Track car for the street

Choose which one fits your usage best. The STI has a far beefier driveline and suspension components that will support more abuse than the WRX. Not to mention electronic toys and brakes to support heavier-duty track work.

The WRX is much cheaper than the STI, and from what I've seen, has more options for modifications (If I'm totally off-base about this, please correct me).
You are totally off base on this.

• Be a good weekend car, I already have a good daily, and I want this car to be my side project to go out with friends in and take to car shows, with the occasional trip to SCCA Rallycross events, and potentially track days.
  • Be a car that I can learn to do basic modifications and advanced maintenance on. I'm not completely unskilled when it comes to maintaining cars, I can change tires, oil changes, and the like, but I want to learn how to modify a car to be what I really want it to be.
  • Have good options for parts. The main mods I'd like to do are, new head lights, tail lights, nameless exhaust, cold air intake, lift and rally suspension, among other things. I've been windowshopping for headlights and I see a lot of parts that say they are incompatible with the STI, but work on the WRX. Not sure if this is a common trend for the STI, but new headlights is one of the main things I want to do.
Research is your friend. Firstly, if your really want to compete in RallyX, you will want to consult the rulebook. Modifications will be restricted and you will be spending a LOT of money on beefing up suspension components long before any power modifications.

The Cold Air intake is the first thing that screams "I did my research on Honda Civics in 1999 and haven't looked anything up since!" Any modification to the OEM airbox will require an ECU calibration, so add that to your list. "Lift rally suspension" -- what on earth is this? If you really want suspension that sits under a rally car, be prepared to spend more than $10,000 on the springs and dampers alone, nevermind the other components that play nice with the increased suspension perch height and travel.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
You are out of your mind doing rallycross on a vehicle that expensive. Buy a beater the neither of these are rally cars. The ones you see on tv are not wrx's they are hundreds of thousands of dollars wrapped in a Subaru shaped wrapper.

Unless you are long expierenced and sponsored, I would find something affordable.

My 2011 was lifted. Don't waste your time. It causes the car to handle horribly and causes the CV joints to bind at full lock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts