ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’ve had my 2017 sti for two years now. Bought used with 11k miles. I wanted to keep it stock til I hit around the 50k mark which is approaching this summer so I wanted to start planning some mods. The following is what I’m looking for;
1) exhaust-I want to replace the full exhaust. I’d like to gain the benefits of better flow but I’d like the sound to remain as tame as possible. I don’t want it to be annoying at normal driving rpms
2) suspension- coil overs I guess. I’d like about an inch or so lower stance and something that upgrades the performance. I feel like the stock suspension feels tighter than it actually performs.
3) tuning- basically I’d like to get another 50 hp or so and a smoother response. You know, just get rid of the stock, environmentally friendly restrictions

thanks in advance

·
Æternum
19,843 Posts
1) exhaust-I want to replace the full exhaust. I’d like to gain the benefits of better flow but I’d like the sound to remain as tame as possible. I don’t want it to be annoying at normal driving rpms
The nice bit is that from the catalyst back, the exhaust is not restrictive with your current setup. If you want to uncork a bit, the downpipe is where you should start. That WILL require an ECU re-calibration.

2) suspension- coil overs I guess. I’d like about an inch or so lower stance and something that upgrades the performance. I feel like the stock suspension feels tighter than it actually performs.
The OEM suspension is very good compared to previous generations of Subarus. Many (probably most) available coilovers will be a downgrade over the OEM suspension. Of course, there are Ohlins, KW, and TEIN Monoflex (NOT the rest of TEIN's lineup) that are an upgrade, but at a significant cost.

If you want a drop, check out RCE Yellow springs for your STI.

3) tuning- basically I’d like to get another 50 hp or so and a smoother response. You know, just get rid of the stock, environmentally friendly restrictions
Tuning is compulsory for any engine modification that you perform. There are exceptions, but those are exceptions to the rule. I cannot condone the removal of emissions equipment. That's your personal choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response @zax
1) if I swap the down pipe I’m probably gonna do the whole exhaust. I’d like a little more sound. Plus I don’t want to limit myself for down the road mods.
2) it could be that the car is just smoother than past performance cars I’ve had so it just feels like the suspension needs a buff. Maybe I’m just going faster than I realize. Either way I anticipated spending around $2k for coilovers. But I can wait on that if the money is better spent elsewhere.
3) as far as tuning I meant that most cars come from the factory dialed back from what they can actually do. I just didn’t know if there’s a chip or tuning device that can utilize all the power that the car has hidden. NOT that I wanted to sawzall out the cat or anything crazy

basically I’m looking to drop $3-5k into this car come springtime. So I’m curious what the subie community would spend that money on if they were me. I’m new to Subaru. I used to be into VW’s back in the day. Had a ‘91 gti with a turbo vr6 that had close to 400hp which was fun and very drivable but the exhaust was a bit to aggressive and 1st/2nd gear was ridiculous in a fwd car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts