Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored this weekend and decided to go down to our local Subaru dealership to inquire about the new WRX STi and came home that night with a proposal that really has me in a pinch. I currently own a loaded Silver 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport we worked out trade on a brand new 2003 WRX. They will trade me straight up for a Silver 2003 WRX 5spd w/ 7 miles on it for my 2003 TJ with 5000 miles on it minus all my mods (it's lifted on 33's with a bunch of rockcrawling goodies.) I know it’s not the new STi, but it’s a hell of a deal at least I think. I love my Jeep and being able to go four-wheeling dearly and this honest to god is a very tough decision. What would guys do if you were in my shoes, I know this will be WRX biased, but I am open to all comments. If anyone here had or has a TJ how would you compare it to the WRX. Also my driving mainly consists of around town and a 240 mile highway trip once a week and wheeling two weekends a month. I guess what I am really asking is do you think it's worth it or do you think the WRX will get old? Also want to add my last car was a heavily modified LS1 z28 high 11's NA that's why I ask do you think the rex would get old.

Thanks for everyone who read this,

Eric

·
Registered
167 Posts
a wrx is a 14 second car really, easy to get in 13s for a few hundred (or less) but takes a couple thousand to get into 12s

and you wont have the high clearance you'll be used to with your jeep and i'm sure you'll need a few modifications to really get the wrx offroading, like suspension/underbody protection/and stuff. i know the guys over at nasioc.com are much more into off roading than most of us here

it really all depends on what you want, i dont think anyone can answer this question for ya

·
Registered
138 Posts
I sold my Jeep for my WRX. Mine was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, lifted 8", 33" tires, custom bumpers, ARB airlockers front and rear, 4.10 gearing, Dana 44 rear axle. . . I could go on and on.

But I am very happy with my choice. I love my Subaru so much, I can't stop driving it. Makes a much better daily driver, on gas and just driving around. It's not as noisy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless you need massive clearance, the WRX should get you just about anywhere you need to go. I've taken mine on mountain tracks with several inches of snow and had no problems at all. Even with the crappy stock tires.

If you are a hardcore off roader I'd stick with a Jeep.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
If you don't need the articulation of the solid axles or low gear....the choice is a little easier

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a wrangler currently and just bought my WRX.... wrangler was not worth trading in, so i kept it, its a 1992 with 170,000 miles on it.. im happy with my purchase of the REX, but you cannot beat a wranger in the warm weather with the top and the doors off, theres just nothing like it, i will truely miss that, but i still have the jeep, so i can do it a few days if i want :p my advice to you... personally, i hate the new wranglers, the interior looks too much like a car to me, and i dont like the front end.... so here's what propose, trade the new jeep in, minus the mods.. and get a WRX... take some of the mods (ones that wont fit on an older jeep) and sell them on ebay or something... take that money, and save up a little money, and buy an older jeep 1992-1996 or so.... and there ya go, best of both worlds, and you'll be happy..... or you can buy my wrangler haha, its fallin apart though.... you can drive it like a flinstones car, there is no floor board on the drivers side.... but nothing some sheet metal can't fix :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded in my 98 Wrangler of my 02 WRX this past summer. I loved that Jeep, and modded it whenever I got a chance. I wheeled it a few times each summer, and it was a blast in both the snow and the sun. I have to say though, I would never go back. Loving every minute driving my little silver WRX. And there have been a lot of minutes in it. (13000 miles in 7 mos :) ) Some of my summer top down loving has been appeased by buying an old WW2 army Jeep, though. The trade in deal the dealer is giving you is absolutely fantastic, if you ask me. Bottom line, I'd go for the trade. Hit me back if you got any questions. I hope this helped. Oh yeah, and it is just as much fun modding the rex as it was modding the TJ.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
quickslvr

Wow, how did you get such a good trade in? Straight up on an 03 wrx (23k ?) is fantastic. What did you pay for the Jeep? I am consdering trading my loaded 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport for a WRX also, but Kbb and Edmunds lists trade at 13,500!!! This is part of the reason I am having trouble making a serious run at the WRX. I alos don't know if I should wait for the 04 w/ factory sunroof (gotta see the sky - i did have a Jeep) or take the deals being offered on 03's and add aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
This is an odd comparison. A Wrangler and a WRX are completely different vehicles!

First, the WRX is not a 4x4 truck, so if that's what you're looking for then the WRX is totally wrong for you. It's a performance car that just happens to apply power to all 4 wheels. So the body, suspension and transmission are all unsuitable for real off-road use.

If your goal is to build a dragster then you'll probably want to look elsewhere as well. You'll get some argument on this one, as people do drag race WRXs - any car that's fast can be an amateur dragster and the WRX is easy to build up - but you might be better off getting another Camaro.

Chris

·
Registered
167 Posts
the way i like to think of this is it's got a little of everything

you CAN go offroading with some modifications

and you CAN drag race it

it probably won't hang with the fastest cars at the track or won't be able to clear any type of offroading obstacles the real wheelers can clear, but it can play in both worlds and still be a very comfortable daily driver

GV27 said:
This is an odd comparison. A Wrangler and a WRX are completely different vehicles!

First, the WRX is not a 4x4 truck, so if that's what you're looking for then the WRX is totally wrong for you. It's a performance car that just happens to apply power to all 4 wheels. So the body, suspension and transmission are all unsuitable for real off-road use.

If your goal is to build a dragster then you'll probably want to look elsewhere as well. You'll get some argument on this one, as people do drag race WRXs - any car that's fast can be an amateur dragster and the WRX is easy to build up - but you might be better off getting another Camaro.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
LOL...I guess it depends on what you call off-road! Sure you could go down a bumpy, rock-strewn dirt road. But I'm talking Jeep trails. There's just no way without a low gear range and you'd have to do a lot of modifications to get the necessary ground clearance. Around here anyway...I don't know what the trails are like in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
167 Posts
GV27 said:
LOL...I guess it depends on what you call off-road! Sure you could go down a bumpy, rock-strewn dirt road. But I'm talking Jeep trails. There's just no way without a low gear range and you'd have to do a lot of modifications to get the necessary ground clearance. Around here anyway...I don't know what the trails are like in the rest of the country.
one time i saw some dirt and i went in it :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still have my '97 TJ Sport, but selling it next month because I just bought my '03 WRX.

I love the TJ, but I got sick of the bumpy ride, bad gas mileage, cleaning it after mud/trail sessions, etc. Nothing beats a summer ride with the top down, but I had a good 5 years with it and it was time to move on.

It's a personaly choice, no one can give you the answer you seek. Just go with your gut, and do what you enjoy.

A lot of people buy older CJs or FJs and turn those into rock crawlers cause its cheaper than thrashing a 23k TJ!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well said, that's why I traded the Jeep. No sense in destroying a $24k Jeep that has to get you to work everyday.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i love it. people come to a wrx enthusiast club and ask what car to get. :rolleyes:

what do you think you're going to get a response?

"you should buy a jeep, we all hate this car."

you might want to do some reading on sample selection and bias.

dR

·
Registered
26 Posts
"i love it. people come to a wrx enthusiast club and ask what car to get."

No kidding :rolleyes:

I think since you're here in the first place you obviously want the WRX, you just can bear to part with your manhood enchancer (or Jeep as some people call it). Sorry to get agitated, but somebody on this board has got to be the environmentalist, and it might as well be me. Get off your ass and get a mountain bike, and stop tearing up our public lands!!!!:mad:

Oh, and the WRX kicks a$$. With the right mods, rally cars will take a jeep any day of the week and make it their beotch.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
wagonator said:
Sorry to get agitated, but somebody on this board has got to be the environmentalist, and it might as well be me. Get off your ass and get a mountain bike, and stop tearing up our public lands!!!!:mad:

Oh, and the WRX kicks a$$. With the right mods, rally cars will take a jeep any day of the week and make it their beotch.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can't imagine having to drive a Jeep everyday and making a 240mile trip each week. No thanks; it's too uncomfortable to me. Get the WRX. It can't go completely off roading, but you can compete in rallycross events if there are any in your area. If you aren't familiar with it, it's cross between a rally (dirt) and autocross. So you see, it won't be your regular off-roading, but you get to go faster.

Aside from the inability to rock crawl, the biggest cons will be higher priced gas and insurance. On insurance, the wagon is supposed to be something like 20% less than the sedan on top of the lower price of the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts