ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the dealer this morning to pick up my 04 WRX I bought yesterday. Got to the highway, made full boost, and it surges. Boost will build, then drop off, build, and drop off, all in the same pull. Partial throttle boost is normal. Its when it builds full boost that it does this. Any ideas I REALLY appreciate.

I immediately took it back to the dealer, told them to fix it. They called me later they said they did. Went back, it wasnt fixed, (surprise!) and the service department was closed. So I'm going back tomorrow morning and any info would be fan-f'in-tastic.

By the way, this is my completely informal hello to ClubWRX. I'll be here for a good while, and you'll see a lot more of me I can guarantee it..... right after I can actually bring home my new car. :baaa:

TIA

-roach954

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just went to the dealer this morning to pick up my 04 WRX I bought yesterday. Got to the highway, made full boost, and it surges. Boost will build, then drop off, build, and drop off, all in the same pull. Partial throttle boost is normal. Its when it builds full boost that it does this. Any ideas I REALLY appreciate.

I immediately took it back to the dealer, told them to fix it. They called me later they said they did. Went back, it wasnt fixed, (surprise!) and the service department was closed. So I'm going back tomorrow morning and any info would be fan-f'in-tastic.

By the way, this is my completely informal hello to ClubWRX. I'll be here for a good while, and you'll see a lot more of me I can guarantee it..... right after I can actually bring home my new car. :baaa:

TIA

-roach954
Does it have a gauge? Im curious to how much the boost is dropping during it surge.

edit: Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First paragraph copied and pasted from another forum asking same question. Guy asked if I had a boost gauge.

Nope, no gauge. All stock, however I do believe the previous owner had a front-mount on it at some point. Not 100% sure on that though. Stock exhaust in tact, down to the heat shields on the downpipe. The way that it surges, its not over-boost. Too much boost would probably hit fuel cut if these are anything like the DSMs I come from. This is building boost, then venting it, rebuilding boost, venting it. I want to say that the wastegate actuator or diverter valve are the culprit but Im open to suggestions.

I can actually hear the diverter valve opening to vent pressure like I'm letting off the throttle when I'm not which leads me to think thats the culprit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
what mod does the car currently have ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts