ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told or read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember) that the '05 Legacy GT has a detuned STI engine, is this true?

If so what is changed?

I'll be looking to get a newer car in the next year or so and am thinking about getting a Legacy. We just had a kid and the wife doesn't like the idea of our daughter riding around in the STI, plus it's a little too small, so I thought the GT would be a little better. Hell I like the wagon version also.

So anyway, I was just thinking.

Thanks,
JEff

·
Registered
393 Posts
I asked this a while back, and pretty much its the internal stuff thats different. Detuned pistons, cams, and such. I believe you could put the STI ones in there if you had the money. Otherwise its the same engine, though you couldn't tell at first glace since the intercooler (bigger since there is more space) is different and there is all kinds of plastic shielding on top of it.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
it would be a pretty expensive job. You'd basically be doing a complete rebuild, and you'd have to buy a set of STi internals. You'd also have to get a different turbo and ECU.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What turbo is in it and whats the relation to the VF39 thats in the STI? I assume its smaller but bigger then the TD04 thats in the WRX stock. I thought it was the same block and general makeup as the STI, just with cast pistons and internals instead of forged. It would be spendy to modify it I imagine. Probably just better to do the usual modding path and call it good. As with any modding, once past a stage II, engine management is necessary anyways, so the ECU part wouldn't be too big a deal, just as putting a new Turbo and internals in a Rex isn't that big a deal from an ECU standpoint, with the UTEC or like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow what a disapointment. I was hoping it was the same engine save the cams and forged internals (The STI has froged internals right?), but from what you guys are saying all that's the same is the dispalcement and maybe the block.

Maybe I'll look at the STI after all. The wife can only be mad for so long. :D ;)

JEff

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I'm sure the heads are different too...I think the only similarity between the two is the displacement of the block...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hmmm, I dunno, but I know similar questions were asked about the XT. Those guys have started putting the STi turbo, injectors, and ECU in their cars and seem to be seeing good things. I would think a similar approach could be done for the Legacy. Search for a stron XT site and see what they've done.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
32vGT said:
Wow what a disapointment. I was hoping it was the same engine save the cams and forged internals (The STI has froged internals right?), but from what you guys are saying all that's the same is the dispalcement and maybe the block.

Maybe I'll look at the STI after all. The wife can only be mad for so long. :D ;)

JEff
forged rods, yes. forged pistons, no.

and the crank is forged, too.

I'd also like to know what turbo is in the legacy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts