ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The obvious choices:

Sti ra gear set...no good for my setup..
Sti 6 speed...gears too short for dragging
Kaaz...need more info on them but looking and searching
Par gearset...my tuning shop sells them but anyone got info ?

I dont know of any others... I need some links/Ideas right now. I will be around 400whp soon and I need a new gearset first.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm going for the sti gears when I replace my tranny I think anyway... I don't care to much about the drag ratios as these are very strong, will drag good enough, & autocross excellently as well as maintain some nice drivability (gas mileage) on the freeway.

Y are the Ra's no good for you? And if your going to build a true drag car you may as well just get the auto dog already as a manual doesn't make the best drag car.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ra's are supposedly no good for the whp I am shooting for. I am not all out dragging, just want some passes at the strip and to fool around on the street. Remember on race I want 450+whp, the ra's are no good apparently after 280-300whp...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Well I think the STi 6 speed isnt all that bad for dragging. Granted I drive a WRX, the closer ratios, while requiring you to shift more, will keep the engine in the powerband. Honestly this will be your best bet, I believe, and on the street they will be great fro just cruising.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but look at the cost:

sti 6 spd : minimum of 6k
Kaaz gears or something similar: maybe 3k plus install

the sti tranny is not as strong as the kaaz gears, the case is just better...right ?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yes but in drag racing you don't want to keep shifting, it does take away time...look at most of the really fast drag cars at the track. They run powerglide trannies which are two speeds. Shifting hurts time especially on boosted cars because you lose your boost in between shifts (forcing you to power shift I guess). Thats why alot of hardcore drag racers use automatics. Also in the vendors forum on nabisco someone was selling STi trannies for $3750 I believe...don't know the full story of them or how the 6 speed swap goes (what parts/modifications you need) so I don't know if that helps, but I'm definitely interested in hearing about gear options as thats supposed to be the weak link on our cars.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
with the price of the full blown six speed coming in around 6K if you're honestly contemplating it you could still try the ra gearsets. Clocking in at 1/4 of the price of the six speed IMO it's still worth trying to see if it could be a possible solution for you.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
I thought the tranny's weak link after major power increases was the case flex

if you're just going to throw stronger gears into the stock case, aren't you still leaving part of the problem?

anyone have more info on this? the "reinforced" case of the new legacy also presents a new option. i wonder if they bolt up easily.

dR

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
I've always heard of the case flex issue, but never have seen anything really supporting it. I'm not an engineer either, so I really can't see the design flaw(s) in it.

I was talking to one of the subaru techs locally and he said that the hardened 5sp in the legacy does not bolt up . :(

dark_rex said:
I thought the tranny's weak link after major power increases was the case flex

if you're just going to throw stronger gears into the stock case, aren't you still leaving part of the problem?

anyone have more info on this? the "reinforced" case of the new legacy also presents a new option. i wonder if they bolt up easily.

dR

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah but most of the people who throw in stronger gears have no issues...at least I dont hear of any. I have heard that the case is a weak link too but what cha gonna do...How much is the case ?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ra Gears have been said to hold beyond 300 awhp and although rallispec doesn't recommend it, they know of people pushing over 350 whp that drag and have no problems yet.

six speeds are being sold right now for 3750 like someone else said with suretrac diffs, and add another 500-1500 for additional parts whether you want r180 rear diff or plan on changing for final drive. I think they're too many shifts as well, which doesn't really make them ideal for strip.

I just read about someone using chalak gears and quaife front and center diff's with crazy axles and they're running about 600-650 whp. So thats always a possibility considering that close in price range, but obviously must work.

Then there's the par gearset offered by XX tuning which I think I may end up doing. I talked to Danny again at XX yesterday and he told me these are pretty much made for dragging and won't be broken. very expensive though, 4500 for gears, prolly another 1000-1500 for clutch and install work. This may be the best option though for your needs and mine.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Will, I'd go with XX's advice and buy their Par gears. If they do break (don't think so!) then at least you have someone there to do work on them, because any gearset rated up to 600 hp should definately stand up to 450whp abuse (btw...where is all this horsepower coming from? Do I smell a green in the wind...:D ? )

Anyway, yeah...my advice is Par. IF that doesn't work for you, get Chalak, they're "unbreakable." Sorry I have NO info on where or how to get them though...just regurgitating boring old info that everyone already knows

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to go w/xx because all my stuff is done there but hey are so damn expensive. I have the clutch/flywheel already but even that is only organic and will probably start to slip eventually. I am going to either go green or xs500 or aps sr50..those are my 3 choices. I will however get my gears, brakes, block in that order first. Tim, you and I will have some sick rides by winter I predict...Let the fun begin. Caravaning w/ 2 400+whp cars...deadily to the competition :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been contemplating gears or a new box myself. So far it looks like PAR or Chalak are the only two gear sets that could fit the bill for me. Also worth mentioning is the fact that if you are shooting for 400+ whp you will most likely need to change the axles as well.
This road to modding never ends......

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do they cost ?....I have heard that.

First launch = snap to the rear axle...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I got a call back from Rallispec yesterday since the call I placed in May. I spoke to Dave and he explained the difference between dog box's to regular synchro gears. He said the lack of synchro's allows for wider and stronger gears, which makes dog box's ideal for abuser's like us. I know MRT and Turbo XS both have their version's of Dog Box's which really seem expensive, but the turbo XS version is pretty much designed with dragging in mind.

He did talk about the v7 6speed as being more "robust" than any 5 speed and reliability wise, has many advantages over the 5spd. Not only is the case more reinforced, and cast horizontally, but the gears are obviously stronger. He mentioned that it has its own oil pump, and also mentioned some sort of cast iron brace that the internals are mated up to which also cure a lot of misalignment fears that 5 spd's have. I had never heard of this brace , but it seems really built for abuse.

Im thinking Im gonna buy a 6 spd and sell my 5spd while it still works fine. I figure if you make some money back on the 5 spd, it will make the 6 spd option seem not so bad. And even though it may not be ideal for drag racing, Im going for all out reliability more than anything. So if I can make many pass' at the strip with this one and drive home w/out grinding, its the option for me. Then when I break it, I can let everyone know how much new 6 spd internals are!:(

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
SBW said:
I got a call back from Rallispec yesterday since the call I placed in May. I spoke to Dave and he explained the difference between dog box's to regular synchro gears. He said the lack of synchro's allows for wider and stronger gears, which makes dog box's ideal for abuser's like us. I know MRT and Turbo XS both have their version's of Dog Box's which really seem expensive, but the turbo XS version is pretty much designed with dragging in mind.
they're also VERY difficult and cumbersome to drive. it's nothing like driving a regular stick. rev matching is a must, and must be done very precisely.

remember dog gears are race gears, and in a full race car are replaced often. these are not a viable long term solution if you drive your car a lot, or even average.

the 6 speed sounds like an awesome choice. i'm jealous.

dR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts