ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i just installed new front pads on my 06 wrx (hawk hp) and now when i hit the brakes nothing happens until you push it down quite a bit. feels really soft.. i have bled the brakes twice and nothing has changed to much.. might be a little bit a difference but still definatly not good enough..thinking maybe i just need to keep bleeding them i guess.. might still be more air in the lines? not sure how air could even get in ? thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know its a stupid question but did you put one of the pads in backwards? Probably not but its worth a look, I've had people come to the shop and they put the pads in themselves and the pad was in backwards and it gave it a soft feel. And how did you compress the pistons back into the caliper? If you take both pads out at the same time and try to compress the two pistons on one side without anything on the opposite side the pistons might come to far out and break the seal and get air in it.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
When I changed the pads on my STI, it took me 3 or 4 separate times bleeding them before I got a solid pedal feel back. Just have to be meticulous. Gotta do each corner separately, you will go through a lot of brake fluid doing it.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I don't know about anybody else but I've never had to bleed my brake when I'm just changing pads.
Tis true...I forgot when I did that particular STI brake job, I swapped out all rotors and lines to SS lines as well. Easiest way to swap the pads on an STI I've found though is just to split the caliper, which will require you to bleed the system once back together.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Tis true...I forgot when I did that particular STI brake job, I swapped out all rotors and lines to SS lines as well. Easiest way to swap the pads on an STI I've found though is just to split the caliper, which will require you to bleed the system once back together.
Why in the heck would you "split" the caliper to change pads on a STi? All you have to do is pull two pins and slide the pads out the only tool you need is a flat head screw driver to push the pistons back in the caliper the rest can be done with your bare hands. They are made that way so they can be changed very fast I don't understand why you would even want to split the caliper

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Why in the heck would you "split" the caliper to change pads on a STi? All you have to do is pull two pins and slide the pads out the only tool you need is a flat head screw driver to push the pistons back in the caliper the rest can be done with your bare hands. They are made that way so they can be changed very fast I don't understand why you would even want to split the caliper
This.... the caliper doesn't even need to come off, just pull the locking pin, the two support pins, and pull the old pads out, press in the pistons, new pads, pins back in, done. That's my favorite things about my brakes, pad changes take all of 30 minutes for all 4 corners.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
No idea...it was my first STI brake job and that's how my buddy had done it on his STI for the 3 years he had it before I got my first one. I figured out AFTER we got it done, all we needed to do was pop the pins out. Fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts