ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from Verocious Motorsports. Installed VF43, Cobb up, Turbo inlet hose (samco), and Walpro fp.

After Andy did the tune, the dyno run was:

294.02 whp / 283.34 wtq

Baseline on the Cobb stg 2 map was:

221.19whp / 278.39wtq

Not bad. She might do more, but boost was set at 16psi. And there is some boost creep (even w/ a catted dp).

Andy and Verocious rocks!

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
294.02 whp / 283.34 wtq
I wondered why the torque was sooo low until I read this:

She might do more, but boost was set at 16psi.
Are you on 93 octane? Crank her up to 21psi, where she belongs(IMHO) & enjoy +320whp/+350wtq.

But if you are enjoying her, congrats.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
nice numbers man. Kinda weird though, i thought the vf-43 would make waaaay more tq than that?
Its because he's running ubber low boost. Boost pressure(while still in the efficiency of the compressor) has a direct correlation to the torque curve.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^agreed, but would my 5spd say to 21psi?

btw, running 93 oct, yes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My guess is he doesn't want to replace gears right after the engine upgrade. Boost can be upped when he wants, but transmissions some times like to surprise you.

Pavia...I noticed your car moved to the east lot. Did the new parking passes do you in?

edit: He beat me to it

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
^agreed, but would my 5spd say to 21psi?

btw, running 93 oct, yes.
If you were worried about that you wouldn't have went stage 2. BTW testes1010 there has a ton of mileage 100k+ on his "inferior geared" 02 bugeye at redonkulous power levels.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ true, true... I'm not that worried about the tranny. I'm not a hard driver, but there are other issues.

I still have the stock injectors. Right now the Injector Duty Cycle is running at 91%, so if I want to do the full capacity of the VF43, I've been told I should upgrade. Mainly an issue with high rpms at highway speeds maybe?

There is also some boost creep issues. Porting the turbo might be a good idea if I go alot higher boost (like 21psi).

However, I talked with Andy and we're going to raise the boost to 18psi.

Should improve the numbers a bit and still be safe with the setup and style of driving I do (no 4wd donuts for me thanks :) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey... You put down some pretty good looking numbers!!! Their is definently room for improvement though.. I would love to see what you put down at 18psi!! Anyways enjoy!!!:cool:

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
BTW testes1010 there has a ton of mileage 100k+ on his "inferior geared" 02 bugeye at redonkulous power levels.
mine's an '03, so may even have the better gears like the '04s(dunno, its held up) BUT still 350whp/340wtq on pump & 370whp/355wtq on meth isn't taken lightly.

I'm really surprised it creeping consider the 43's wastegate area is supposedly larger than the VF39 & I haven't had any issues with VF39s creeping on STi's.:screwy:

Also you'll need a better boost control solenoid(GM preferably) or a Hallman PRO MBC to run over ~18.5psi with any sort of control.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking at the invoice notes and it says:

"Turbo WILL creep under high load due to turbo not being ported"

Now this could mean that the tuner believes that porting is important to be sure that boost creep does not occur, rather than saying he definitely experienced it during the dyno session.

Driving it, I have not experienced any fuel cut or stumbling under acceleration, so maybe I will be OK.

He seemed alot more concerned about the injectors limiting going all the way with max boost.

I'll ask more when we go to 18psi. I do know my Cobb heatshield doesn't fit anymore. Have to get an STi one.

BTW: Is there a break-in period for new Turbos?

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
I'll ask more when we go to 18psi. I do know my Cobb heatshield doesn't fit anymore. Have to get an STi one.

BTW: Is there a break-in period for new Turbos?
I'm shocked the Cobb HS doesn't fit. The size of the turbo physically isn't much larger than the stocker. Still, by far, the stock turbo heatshield is better than anything short of a 'true' turbo blanket.

IMHO, there's no real break-in. As long as during installation it was properly primed with oil.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm shocked the Cobb HS doesn't fit. The size of the turbo physically isn't much larger than the stocker. Still, by far, the stock turbo heatshield is better than anything short of a 'true' turbo blanket.

IMHO, there's no real break-in. As long as during installation it was properly primed with oil.
The wastegate linkage gets in the way. I checked and there's actually two different part numbers for the heatshield on the WRX vs the STi.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slight problem...

I threw a PO457 CEL last night on the highway (Emissions/Fuel Cap Loose) and the "Cruise" light started blinking.

I think there may be a leak somewhere as a result of the fuel pump installation.

I did notice a little bit of gas on the ground last night in a parking lot, so I hope this is the reason.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: New dyno results :)

Problem fixed. I threw a PO457 CEL (emission/fuel cap loose) from a rubber seal for the fuel pump that was inadvertantly folded over during installation and causing a small leak.

The boost has been raised to 18psi with a new map. It wasn't dyno'd, but the seat-of-pants indicator is off the charts!:whoa:

Definitely has a lot more power. I would say HP and torque are definitely well over 300 now. I want to say it felt like the difference between stock and going to stage 2. Obviously, I have a lot more power, but I mean in terms of a comparative "feel".

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts