ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed a new Cobb DP about a week ago and I've been noticing a scorching smell emanating from under the hood even after mild, low-rev, normal city driving. I don't see smoke or anything.

Is such a smell common or normal? Could it be oils that were on the pipe burning off? Don't tell me it's the smell of frying pistons please.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
It is common for a time, but a week is a little long. I would guess that your rubber AC drainage hose is melting on the DP. I just zip tied it to the side.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is common for a time, but a week is a little long. I would guess that your rubber AC drainage hose is melting on the DP. I just zip tied it to the side.
Oh man. Approximately where can one find this hose? Near the engine end I presume.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Oh man. Approximately where can one find this hose? Near the engine end I presume.

It comes through the firewall just behind the DP. It is just a hose that drains condensation water, some people just trim it.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Here is the pic from the install guide, it is just west of the D in Downpipe:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the pic from the install guide, it is just west of the D in Downpipe:
Thank you. I looked under my hood and that tube is not touching and does not appear to have melted any, so maybe we've ruled that one out.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Could still be oils burning off.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Exactly how recently? Couple days? Weeks? I noticed that I was frying my AC drainage hose as well. I pulled that sucker to the left and secured it away from the downpipe. Problem solved...and I can forget about it when I stop at a light and I smell my catless setup!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly how recently? Couple days? Weeks? I noticed that I was frying my AC drainage hose as well. I pulled that sucker to the left and secured it away from the downpipe. Problem solved...and I can forget about it when I stop at a light and I smell my catless setup!
It's been about a week since install.

·
Registered
0 Posts
drive it hard for about 20mins to burn off all the oil

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drive it hard for about 20mins to burn off all the oil
I've gotten more than 20 minutes on it since installation, so maybe it's not essential oils burning off. I should ask someone to sniff my car. Hopefully without getting punched in the nose.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've gotten more than 20 minutes on it since installation, so maybe it's not essential oils burning off. I should ask someone to sniff my car. Hopefully without getting punched in the nose.
r u catless ?

·
Registered
473 Posts
how much of spray did you use for the bolt? i used quite a bit of pb blaster and it smelled for about 2-3 days with a total of about 3 hours of driving.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much of spray did you use for the bolt? i used quite a bit of pb blaster and it smelled for about 2-3 days with a total of about 3 hours of driving.
Which bolt? Peanut butter blaster?

I paid someone to install it, so I can't answer these questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah yes PB

It is so hard to burn off the smell of PB. I had a can spray in my trunk and it smelled for a full summer. I also had a sandwich back there wrapped in a sandwich bag and I could taste the PB on the sandwich. Naasty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question: Do you have your down pipe wrapped? The smell is normal, and will fade away with time...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts