ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed my new catless downpipe, the car was running great. Today on my way home from school I was hauling ass on the express and then I hit some stop and go traffic when I got off the expressway, a few minutes passed and then the car started to idle very low, I would rev it up and then it would just drop and turn off. Other mods I have the car is a 3 inch catback and knn Typhoon intake.:confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's a bad idea to run a performance downpipe on our cars (especially the 2.5 liter motors) without engine management. You're just asking for trouble. I hope you haven't damaged something, but if you haven't I'd take the downpipe off and replace with stock until you can afford some EM.

PS DBW = Drive By Wire

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
What kind of problems what would cause that and what's DBW?
DBW= Drive By Wire...the throttle body is electronically controlled as opposed to the cable system throttle that you're used to seeing in most cars.

The DP is probably causing rough idle due to lack of engine management. Its stalling out due to 02 sensor readings being skewed, along with the 'slight' possibility of the intake. Do you have an aftermarket BOV?

It's a bad idea to run a performance downpipe on our cars (especially the 2.5 liter motors) without engine management. You're just asking for trouble. I hope you haven't damaged something, but if you haven't I'd take the downpipe off and replace with stock until you can afford some EM.
Its not necessarily bad, but its not an improvement until you get engine management. The only trouble you could find is boost creep due to the bigger engine moving more air. Creep can cause fuel cut from overboosting if you're hard on the throttle for any extended period of time (WOT through 4th and 5th). This isn't detrimental to the car, but it sure isn't a comfortable thing to deal with. It will scare the pants off you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DBW= Drive By Wire...the throttle body is electronically controlled as opposed to the cable system throttle that you're used to seeing in most cars.

The DP is probably causing rough idle due to lack of engine management. Its stalling out due to 02 sensor readings being skewed, along with the 'slight' possibility of the intake. Do you have an aftermarket BOV?

Its not necessarily bad, but its not an improvement until you get engine management. The only trouble you could find is boost creep due to the bigger engine moving more air. Creep can cause fuel cut from overboosting if you're hard on the throttle for any extended period of time (WOT through 4th and 5th). This isn't detrimental to the car, but it sure isn't a comfortable thing to deal with. It will scare the pants off you.
No, I have the stock blow off valve with the recirculation still connected.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great news everybody, my check engine light came on! I went to auto zone and they did a code check, It came up as an air to fuel mix problem and or O2 sensor malfunction. What would cause the 02 sensor to go?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Great news everybody, my check engine light came on! I went to auto zone and they did a code check, It came up as an air to fuel mix problem and or O2 sensor malfunction. What would cause the 02 sensor to go?
You dp is making that code because of the extra exhaust. EM will get rid of that code. Its not bad for the car to have that CEL, just annoying.

·
Registered
615 Posts
you can also get a cel fix off ebay that will fix it too...or some people have made there own....but yes get some em too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You dp is making that code because of the extra exhaust. EM will get rid of that code. Its not bad for the car to have that CEL, just annoying.
So theres nothing wrong with my sensor? If i go get it tuned it will go away? Does this happen to everyone that puts a catless dp with out tune?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts