ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ooh, that looks cool. I have always liked these--just wish they had some more oomph. I think a turbo, maybe not tuned "quite" as fast as the WRX, would be a great thing for this car.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, people that don't buy one, that's their #1 complaint. It's a great little car, but yes, I'd love a few more horsies under the hood.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
There is something about them that makes me think mix of VW bug and the Honda Element. Just never grabbed me. My old lady wants a small SUV so if we like the look of the new one we may buy in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'll go against the grain on this one..Crosstreks are excellent. Had one as a loaner while our Outback was being repaired; it was comfortable, quiet, had great utility and pretty good gas mileage. It's for a demographic that isn't really looking for "moar power!"; my coworker has had one for some time, and says he'll just get another one when it's time to look for a replacement.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll go against the grain on this one..Crosstreks are excellent. Had one as a loaner while our Outback was being repaired; it was comfortable, quiet, had great utility and pretty good gas mileage. It's for a demographic that isn't really looking for "moar power!"; my coworker has had one for some time, and says he'll just get another one when it's time to look for a replacement.
It's always nice to see a little love.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had an Outback a few years ago which I loved. I can see the market for a smaller version of that--sporty, versatile, great for carrying bikes or skis, good in the snow, great gas mileage.

If you don't need the size of the Outback and want better gas mileage, this is a good way to go. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Outback.

I would like to see more than 148 horses, but I agree not everyone wants or needs that.

(The new CRV btw gets 180-200 HP, though it's more expensive.)

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an Outback a few years ago which I loved. I can see the market for a smaller version of that--sporty, versatile, great for carrying bikes or skis, good in the snow, great gas mileage.
If you don't need the size of the Outback and want better gas mileage, this is a good way to go. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Outback.
I would like to see more than 148 horses, but I agree not everyone wants or needs that.
(The new CRV btw gets 180-200 HP, though it's more expensive.)
Yeah, I'm sure it's all been decided because of MPG, but I'd love to see just a little more power too.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Outback because it's quite a bit worse to drive and has far fewer features than an Outback. :thumbup:

I've had the CrossTrek as a loaner when my Outback was in the shop a few times. The first one was right when the CrossTrek first came out, and the CVT tuning was complete garbage. The engine wailed away up to (barely) freeway speeds, and I didn't dare make any passing maneuvers. The ride quality sucked, and the interior plastics were like riding around in a milk jug. I came in excited to try it, but neither my wife nor I cared for it at all.

Side note: I'm not biased against CVTs either. The CVT in my wife's Insight is great, and the "paddle shifter" inputs are snappy and satisfying. CVTs don't have to suck, but it's all in the tuning of them.

The next time was a brand new 2017 CrossTrek, and I will say they really improved the tuning. It felt much more responsive, despite having the same drivetrain, and despite having lots of nasty plastics still felt like a nicer place to be than the first one. I still wouldn't give up my Outback for one, but it was much improved over my first memory.

To be fair to the CrossTrek, it's not even remotely comparable to the Outback. It starts $4k cheaper than the Outback, and the Legacy/Outback have always been marketed as more upscale cars compared to the Impreza/CrossTrek.

I absolutely love my Outback 3.0R, though. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful (with the H6), and the panoramic moonroof that completely opens up is awesome. We'll keep that Outback until the wheels fall off.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I absolutely love my Outback 3.0R, though. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful (with the H6), and the panoramic moonroof that completely opens up is awesome. We'll keep that Outback until the wheels fall off.
Not to go too off topic but... I wish they'd put that big double roof back on the Outback. I'm guessing's it's a crash test thing, but it's so much bigger on older Outbacks. It's awesome !

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Not to go too off topic but... I wish they'd put that big double roof back on the Outback. I'm guessing's it's a crash test thing, but it's so much bigger on older Outbacks. It's awesome !
Indeed. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
My wife loves her 2016 Crosstrek Limited that she ordered. We both prefer smaller vehicles, not for the gas mileage, more just for the ease of the size. As for the power, I'd like to see more in it, but she thinks it's perfect. But she also came out of a non-S Mini which was a D.O.G.. She'll be down looking at the new ones when they arrive...I'm sure. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts